Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am sure those students who were caned are much less likely to steal again than an American student who just got a warning because both teachers and the parents think we "shouldn't hurt the student's feelings".

I prefer to have kids that are self motivated to succeed rather than being motivated by fear of punishment. I personally use the technique of rewarding with verbal praise for a job well done, unmet expectations are discussed there is give and take in speaking and listening,my student is given full opportunity to explain what went wrong and to construct a plan to ensure success as independently as possible with some assistence from me if necessary consequences are clearly outlined and progressive corporal punishment isn't a consideration. I have an 18 year old attending a top university starting this fall and have never had any significant behioural issues up to this point. I believe fear of punishment hinders creativity. I'd rather not raise unceative, neurotic, uptight, overly comformist kids. But everyone values different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:59 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is frowned up in the west and probably many other countries as well, but I am fully supportive of that. For most frequent criminals, fining or imprisonment simply don't deter repeated behavior - you pay some money, or spend a couple of months in jail, with food and shelter provided, big deal, especially when there is hardly anything to lose.

But if it involves some physical pain, it makes a difference. Will Lindsay Lohan or Justin Bieber keep doing what they do if the result is to be whipped physically?

Plus, if someone committed a crime, why do the other taxpayers have to come up with money to provide him with food, clothes and shelter as well as other overhead expenses? Makes no sense to me.

Of course I am not advocating something overly harsh like cutting off a thief's hand or something like in the old times, but what Singapore is still doing despite what the world thinks is admirable.
I agree totally

we should return to phisical punishment

Old 06-29-2015, 07:07 PM

653 posts, read 743,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Doesn't the Singapore school system have an official position called the Discipline Master who canes errant students?
Well, I have been out of the school system for some time, but yes, my classmates were caned by the discipline master. But the discipline master covers all students discipline matters too, etc, no dye hair, proper haircut etc.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Just so you know, when I was in public school in the states corporal punishment was normal and it was not so strange to get paddled. In fact, my Primary School Principal has a big wooden paddle that he kept on the wall in front of his desk and any kid entering his office saw it and knew what it was for. Of course things are different now.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Only one sentence "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 AM

35 posts, read 56,804 times
I like it very much. Corporal punishment is completely legal in Indonesia but not as systemized as Singapore. Each school has difference policies. For example, I attended private school for Primary, and High School. During my Primary school years the main punishment was hitting your nail with the edge of wood ruler (trust me, it hurts as hell) or by simply slapping your face, but on my high school the school don't allow teachers to hit students so the teacher will make us stand at front, doing push ups, squat jumps, running on field , cleaning toilets and classrooms, or other form of humiliations lol.

But at Singapore, I heard that they really regulate the amount of whipping, where to whip, etc.

TL;DR I support corporal punishment. Whether at school or home.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:09 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
We used to get this delivered to the hands by the teacher ....

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

However, when we were ready to leave school there was some 'score settling'. At the leavers vs teachers rugby match, one notorious teacher ended up in hospital and a couple of the others were on the end of some pretty rough play. The teachers also tried to dish out some punishment but not as effectively. Interestingly, the really good teachers never needed to threaten physical punishment.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-01-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
When I was a young student in the US way back in the 1950's the schools did have physical punishment. You could be hit several times on the rear end with a thick wood paddle for serious infractions. This applied only to boys. Appears this kind of punishment has now disappeared.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:30 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We used to get this delivered to the hands by the teacher ....

However, when we were ready to leave school there was some 'score settling'. At the leavers vs teachers rugby match, one notorious teacher ended up in hospital and a couple of the others were on the end of some pretty rough play. The teachers also tried to dish out some punishment but not as effectively. Interestingly, the really good teachers never needed to threaten physical punishment.
Lol good for you I would have done the same. Had it been one of my kids I pity the person. What goes around comes around.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
I think it's strictly the Singaporeans' business, not ours. That being said, no, I would not support its implementation in the West.

I'll add I am generally supportive of corporal punishment in schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia