U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:19 AM

501 posts, read 461,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There are only 3 countries in the world with the fastest trains: France, China, Japan. France has the fastest trains in the world, followed by China
And Spain and Germany and England and Taiwan and Belgium and Italy and the Netherlands and probably more. They all have trains that travel at 300 km/h (which is the fastest train speed in China), Spain and France have trains that top out at 320 km/h.

To the original question, most of the trains in China are pretty new, so they all seem really nice and comfortable and efficient. As GoldenTiger pointed out though, some of the train stations are not so nice. I have only taken the high speed train once in Japan, and they were also very nice and the stewardesses are super, super polite and friendly (like bowing and thanking everyone when they leave the train car and stuff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 PM

919 posts, read 602,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It doesn't really botticelli. For those millions that travel it, how many are only single trip riders versus commuters? If speed is the most important factor, then you're a commuter. But if you're just a tourist, it's not gonna matter much. Lots of people ride the TGV in France, too, but many are not commuters.
Why does the ratio of commuters to single trip riders matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
I think you misunderstood the point of my post. How's gonna visit a country based on how fast the trains are?
I don't think botticelli misunderstand it. Check what you have written in previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
I seriously doubt anybody is going to judge living in a country based on how advanced the trains are......long distance trains you are seldom going to take
Here are many commuters who ride Shinkansen on a daily basis in Japan. By the way, does the word commuters include students who ride train from and to schools?

Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Well said I really hate the extreme car culture of the US. I just wish I could hop on a train and read a book or listen to music while I get to my destination.
True, i like driving and all but its just more chill sitting on a train playing on your laptop or listening to your music. driving a car you have to actually focus on operating the vehicle, planes are just too uncomfortable for me.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:01 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
True, i like driving and all but its just more chill sitting on a train playing on your laptop or listening to your music. driving a car you have to actually focus on operating the vehicle, planes are just too uncomfortable for me.
Driving is fine, but being stuck in traffic regularly twice a day at the same time every single working day between the age 23 and 65 is not fine.

Additionally, trains usually arrive on time regardless of traffic conditions. Cars can be highly unpredictable. A 4 miles trip can take 15 minutes, or an hour.

Many Americans have this illusion that because they drive, they have more "freedom" - really? Is your entire life being chained to a car "freedom"? Being able to drive is freedom, but having to drive everywhere you need to - that's definitely not freedom. And it is not like people in Spain, France, China or Japan don't have cars - they do. They only drive when it makes sense (off peak, to areas where the trains don't go etc).

Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Driving is fine, but being stuck in traffic regularly twice a day at the same time every single working day between the age 23 and 65 is not fine.

Additionally, trains usually arrive on time regardless of traffic conditions. Cars can be highly unpredictable. A 4 miles trip can take 15 minutes, or an hour.

Many Americans have this illusion that because they drive, they have more "freedom" - really? Is your entire life being chained to a car "freedom"? Being able to drive is freedom, but having to drive everywhere you need to - that's definitely not freedom. And it is not like people in Spain, France, China or Japan don't have cars - they do. They only drive when it makes sense (off peak, to areas where the trains don't go etc).
You can pretty much go everywhere with a car, there are more roads than train lines... but they are just so expensive. buying the car, gas, maintenance, etc... its most peoples second most expensive possession.... getting rid of it all together would save people oodles of money.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM

4,371 posts, read 1,812,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You can pretty much go everywhere with a car, there are more roads than train lines... but they are just so expensive. buying the car, gas, maintenance, etc... its most peoples second most expensive possession.... getting rid of it all together would save people oodles of money.
I agree not to mention cities designed for pedestrians have a much higher quality of life than suburban environments where you are forced by default to drive.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:32 AM

919 posts, read 602,846 times
Quote:
And it is not like people in Spain, France, China or Japan don't have cars - they do. They only drive when it makes sense (off peak, to areas where the trains don't go etc).
I've just checked a report written by Ministry of land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, and found that average driving mileage per year in Japan is about 10000 kilo meters. Recent years, it's less than 10000 km.

In the US, it's 13 476 miles (= 21 687.5197 km according to google).

Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I've just checked a report written by Ministry of land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, and found that average driving mileage per year in Japan is about 10000 kilo meters. Recent years, it's less than 10000 km.

In the US, it's 13 476 miles (= 21 687.5197 km according to google).
Not surprising that people in countries with excellent transport infrastructure will drive less. Imagine if it takes 2 hours for a high speed tran to travel between SF and LA, how many people will still drive that eight hours.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Not surprising that people in countries with excellent transport infrastructure will drive less. Imagine if it takes 2 hours for a high speed tran to travel between SF and LA, how many people will still drive that eight hours.
Or a DC to Boston route in 3 hours with all major cities of Baltimore, Philadelphia, and NYC served in between. It'd probably have a shot at becoming the busiest route in the world.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:02 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times
Quote:
Depends on how much they charge for that train ride. We can usually get from SF to LA in about 5 1/2 hours (of course that depends where your start and end points are). One big reason why it's easier to just drive that 5 1/2 hours, as opposed to a plane ride, (going to/from the airport, the waiting time, etc. can add up to 3 hours or more from door to door), is because the public transportation in LA sucks. One most likely will need a car in LA anyway, so just bring your own and save the plane fare. The savings is substantial if 4 people share a car. If they have high speed rail in the future, the high speed train station in LA will probably still have rental car counters . In the US, the best bet for high speed trains is the Boswash Corridor. The Acela Express is just too slow compared to Japanese or Chinese high speed trains. High speed rail does have the potential to replace most other modes of transportation. Taiwan's high speed rail pretty much replaced most domestic flights. There used to be Taipei to Kaohsiung plane service, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or