U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 PM

155 posts, read 138,187 times

Advertisements

Which one is better in your opinion in terms of safety, comfort, speed and technology?

The Japanese are developing the L0 Series which have the record as the fastest in the world, although the Chinese have the longest High Speed Rail network in the world, do you think that Chinese can surpass the Japanese technology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 04:57 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
I have taken both and there doesn't seen to be much difference in terms of comfort and reliability.

But of course people who haven't taken both will have their opinions. They always do.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
I have taken both and there's really not that much difference in comfort. With regards to safety, both have incidents but they're pretty rare and one has to check statistics if there's even any meaningful way of comparison.

My biggest gripe with regards to China High Speed trains is a lot of the main train stations (the ones that also serve slow trains) are very dirty. Stations that serve only high-speed trains are much better. For example, in Shanghai, Hongqiao Train Station is pretty good. But if one goes to Suzhou, there are more trips from the main Shanghai Railway Station and most other points in the city are closer there. That station is downright filthy and chaotic.

It's kind of difficult to compare speed and technology if one is talking about two different city pairs in different countries. One has to consider in order to be faster by few more minutes, is it really worth it to install new railways, change the rolling stock, etc.? I have taken the Shanghai Maglev just for the heck of trying it. Although it's probably the most technologically advanced in commercial service, it's a largely pointless route. If it actually is up to a major commercial area like Lujiazui, it would have been much better. Since it drops you off at Longyang Road, which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, taking the metro or the taxi actually makes more sense.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
I don't see how it matters, really. I seriously doubt anybody is going to judge living in a country based on how advanced the trains are......long distance trains you are seldom going to take

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM

919 posts, read 603,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have taken both and there doesn't seen to be much difference in terms of comfort and reliability.
So have I.

I didn't feel much difference either.

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenzhou_train_collision

Old 07-01-2015, 07:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't see how it matters, really. I seriously doubt anybody is going to judge living in a country based on how advanced the trains are......long distance trains you are seldom going to take
It does.
Long distance matters most. It takes 4.5 hours to travel from shanghai and Beijing, a distance of 1500km/900mile, Similar to a trip between NYC and Atlanta. Seldom? Millions take them everyday.

Here in Canada it takes 5.5 hours from Toronto to Montreal, for 540 km.

Train travel is by far more comfortable and hassle free than cars (stress) and planes (stress and delays) Of course it doesn't determine your quality of life but it does make your life and travel easier and enjoyable.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Quote:
It does.
Long distance matters most. It takes 4.5 hours to travel from shanghai and Beijing, a distance of 1500km/900mile, Similar to a trip between NYC and Atlanta. Seldom? Millions take them everyday.

Train travel is by far more comfortable and hassle free than cars (stress) and planes (stress and delays) Of course it doesn't determine your quality of life but it does make your life and travel easier and enjoyable.
Well said I really hate the extreme car culture of the US. I just wish I could hop on a train and read a book or listen to music while I get to my destination.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
It does.

It doesn't really botticelli. For those millions that travel it, how many are only single trip riders versus commuters? If speed is the most important factor, then you're a commuter. But if you're just a tourist, it's not gonna matter much. Lots of people ride the TGV in France, too, but many are not commuters. I think you misunderstood the point of my post. How's gonna visit a country based on how fast the trains are? There are only 3 countries in the world with the fastest trains: France, China, Japan. France has the fastest trains in the world, followed by China

Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM

448 posts, read 499,924 times
High speed train travel-
no check-in, no book and confirm tickets in advance, can use mobile phone, scenery, little planning needed.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM

6,654 posts, read 18,687,709 times
My only experience with a fast Bullet like train (If you could call it that) was In Japan 1951 while in the Military. What amazed me was how fast it would pick up speed or make a stop without you losing your balance while standing up. Heck, this was 1951 and they had just lost a war...some improvement considering.

Always wanted to visit my old haunts...never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or