Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times

Advertisements

We're all basically human, although there are cultural variations (which I think are minor in comparison). I've been to China, and although I don't speak the language, the people seemed not unlike say Americans in the way they behaved, their sense of humour etc. Whereas the Japanese seem to have an even more insular culture, and even things like their facial expressions can be different. Like I read that Japanese people might smile at your even if they don't like you, whereas Chinese people tend to be more upfront with you. They also seem really obsessed with 'honour' and stuff, and 'saving face' to a greater extent than the Chinese.

This is not intended to bash the Japanese, as I find the country and people really interesting and admirable in alot of ways, but it's a personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times
Mm....I equally find lots of differences among the Chinese as well. But in other ways....regarding what you are referring to...the Japanese have subtleties.....

I think its called high context culture and low context culture. Chinese and Americans and others just say whatever pops into their minds. Where Japanese and probably Scandinavians, etc. put a little bit more thought into what they say and do.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,333 times
i don't want to say too much, cause i'm a Chinese.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:02 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
I would think the rural Chinese might be more different. Urban Chinese might be more used to Americans. Or did you go to the rural areas?

Also China's first modernization was, to an extent, because Europeans forced their hand. The Japanese hands were forced, a bit, by Commodore Perry and all but they did want a bit of "Modernization on our terms." Taking what they wanted to take from the West rather than being forced to in the Opium Wars. Mao tried for "Communism with Chinese characteristics" but still that didn't really work and Marxist-Communism is still a European ideology. (There are other forms of Communism, some of which are not European, but I don't think they went with those too strongly.) That said I'd think China under Mao, going by what I know, would have been less like the West than Japan of the same period.

Also Japan is an island. At times they were shut-off in a way even the Chinese, at their most isolationist, weren't. The Chinese had Muslims, Christians, and Jews off/on since like the seventh century. They watched Persian jugglers or listened to Turkish music from then or earlier too. The Japanese pretty much didn't have that. Their early cultural contacts were largely limited to China and Korea.

Still I'd think there would be parts of China more "alien" than any part of Japan. You might just not be allowed in those parts because they may not want Westerners seeing some impoverished and uneducated peasant on the fringes.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I would think the rural Chinese might be more different. Urban Chinese might be more used to Americans. Or did you go to the rural areas?

Also China's first modernization was, to an extent, because Europeans forced their hand. The Japanese hands were forced, a bit, by Commodore Perry and all but they did want a bit of "Modernization on our terms." Taking what they wanted to take from the West rather than being forced to in the Opium Wars. Mao tried for "Communism with Chinese characteristics" but still that didn't really work and Marxist-Communism is still a European ideology. (There are other forms of Communism, some of which are not European, but I don't think they went with those too strongly.) That said I'd think China under Mao, going by what I know, would have been less like the West than Japan of the same period.

Also Japan is an island. At times they were shut-off in a way even the Chinese, at their most isolationist, weren't. The Chinese had Muslims, Christians, and Jews off/on since like the seventh century. They watched Persian jugglers or listened to Turkish music from then or earlier too. The Japanese pretty much didn't have that. Their early cultural contacts were largely limited to China and Korea.

Still I'd think there would be parts of China more "alien" than any part of Japan. You might just not be allowed in those parts because they may not want Westerners seeing some impoverished and uneducated peasant on the fringes.
I've been to the rural areas and it's a world away from what you find in Beijing or Shanghai. Nothing, I mean nothing is written in English. That goes for road signs, menus.etc...it can feel like a pretty alien place. I think everyone should see the rural areas too however, if they want to truly understand China as a whole. Just go on a tour, bring a guide or brush up on your Mandarin as you will need it to just get around. I was fortunate enough to have my mother as a sort of translator as she speaks some Mandarin.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
Cool, I didn't know if traveling to them was doable. It wouldn't be accessible for me, obviously, I doubt I'd make it in rural China. To be honest I get the sense Asia isn't very handicapped accessible. I kind of fell in love with a region I may never be able to see

To get back to the topic though did the rural Chinese still feel more like the West than Japan does? If so that is interesting.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,845,310 times
Yes, Chinese are more similar to Americans than the Japanese are. Chinese tend to be more straightforward and can also be quite rude, similar to Americans. Japanese are extremely polite and reserved.

In addition, there is far more sexual equality in China than Japan. Many Chinese women are very outspoken and aggressive, and there are many Chinese women in positions of power whereas in Japan, very few females are in positions of power and Japanese women tend to be much more reserved.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,848,044 times
Quote:
Is Japanese culture more different to Western culture than Chinese culture?
Most people tend to confuse culture with behavior associated with upbringing that may or may not be influenced by socio-economic background. High/low context cultures are too academic for ordinary people on the street to grasp.

That's why any discussions often end up futile with both sides bringing in perception colored by historical events, personal experience, real estate, job loss and etc.

Having said that, like most people, I feel most comfortable with the group that put themselves in others' shoes. The Japanese never fail me in that respect. Is that good etiquette or culture? The answer is obvious, imho. The rate of interracial marriages of Japanese-Canadians and the whites is high in Canada. Again, does this means that the Japanese-Canadians are culturally closer to western culture? hmm

Things have occurred on the Canadian front. Sinoforest is jut one, started by the Wall St/TSX watchdogs. On a provincial scenario, it is as if the tides kept washing up the shores and along with it debris and treasures strewn along the coastline side-by-side.

I could be wrong, if so, then all is well with the Fed on top of it. An interesting observation is the current national poll initiated by CIC (open from August 29 to September 19, 2011). Less than 3 weeks to go.
Consultations

Last edited by dougie86; 08-31-2011 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Cool, I didn't know if traveling to them was doable. It wouldn't be accessible for me, obviously, I doubt I'd make it in rural China. To be honest I get the sense Asia isn't very handicapped accessible. I kind of fell in love with a region I may never be able to see

To get back to the topic though did the rural Chinese still feel more like the West than Japan does? If so that is interesting.
Yeah most of the world isn't very handicapped accessible, but you'll still be able to see quite a few places. If you ever get the chance I would so don't restrict yourself and go for it, if there is a will there is a way.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 AM

29 posts, read 67,017 times
Japanese culture? They learn almost everything from Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia