Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,824,930 times

Advertisements

school going kids recite national pledge and sing national anthem on each and every school day in Singapore.. Thats what i also know and done it as a Singaporean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,580,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That was quite distasteful. Has HK sunk to a new low?
Quite distasteful? A new low?

Does it not occur to you that those HK protesters are actually sending a message to the leaders in HK and BJ?

Quote:
Let's be clear, doesn't every country have the right to adopt whatever political system that works in their country?
When did the Chinese people adopt totalitarian authoritarian autocratic rule as enforced by the CCP? Did I miss the election?

Quote:
Or do you think as long as they don't adopt the western style system, it is wrong?

Quote:
And what's exactly so wrong about being authoritarian? Apparently Singapore functions as a much better country than most democratic countries.
Aren't you always telling people that we cannot compare taiwan to China because China is so vast an expanse of a country with a huge population?

Yes, you do in fact do that.

So, how can you, in all seriousness, talk out of the other side of your face and compare a tiny city-state with large countries?

Do you read the stuff you write before you post? Maybe you should!

Quote:
Lee Kuan Yew is indeed a great man, probably one of the greatest in the 20th century Asian history.
Well, its the 21st century, now.

Quote:
Singapore has its own law and orders, and if someone violates it, he should be punished accordingly.
Are we not discussing HK protesters acting in HK, where HK law governs?

Quote:
Stop trying to force some universal values to every country in the world.
Haha! Your posts are great entertainment. But, really too predictable!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:11 PM

honestly as the OP and a Singaporean it is not so much the protests that is bothering me but the burning of the effigies of our past and present PM.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,580,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
honestly as the OP and a Singaporean it is not so much the protests that is bothering me but the burning of the effigies of our past and present PM.
Ah, I see.

As an American, that doesn't bother me too much. Happens all the time (to our US presidents and US flag).

Wouldn't let it bother me, if i was you...

Old 08-05-2015, 05:22 AM

653 posts, read 742,613 times
Quote:
As a Singaporean, it bothers me greatly; I find such behaviour to be very insulting, in the least.

However, they are doing it in Hong Kong, not Singapore. Technically speaking, Hong Kong laws allow such actions. As much as I disagree with the protesters' actions, I have to respect Hong Kong's laws as much as I ask that other countries respect Singapore's laws.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM

148 posts, read 136,171 times
I wouldn't worry much about Singapore or Singaporeans. They're on their way to becoming the new UAE. The UAE has more foreigner population than citizens. In Singapore, foreigners are now 1/4 of the population. Given Singapore's low birth rate, they will be a country of non-citizens in a few decades like the UAE

The Hongkies need to chill and just send more Hongkies or perhaps mainlanders to Singapore

Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM

510 posts, read 609,042 times
Quote:
I agree. I think it just doesn't further the cause in a positive and meaningful way. In fact, it just distracts from the message and puts a lot of people off.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 PM

9 posts, read 6,073 times
Quote:
What do i know about Singapore ..

Our Income tax is due July every year
Our Property tax is due Jan/feb every year
Our PM is Lee Hsien Loong
Maujulah Singapura is Singapore's National Anthem.
TO get to Singapore Indoor stadium, take MRT to the stadium station
Our MRT breaks down very frequently
National Day is on 9 August
Our National flower is Vanda Miss Joaquim
PAP is the current ruling party of SIngapore
Straits Times And the New Paper and english newspapers in Singapore
Fandi Ahmad is Singapore's football legend
Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel is daebak.
Kopi Siu Dai. Kopi-O, kopi Si,
Public transportation is free on Aug 9 2015 ( 1 day only and this year only)
NRIC and Singapore passport is issued by ICA near Lavender station
Singapore passport cost S$70 for 5 yr validity
major supermarkets in SIngapore are.. Fairprice, Cold Storage, Giant, Shop & Save, Prime Supermarket, Sheng Siong

Chan Chun Sing is going to be the next PM provided PAP stays in Power..LOL

etc etc...

and our General Elections are Coming !!!! Most impt actually
WOW !! is that all you know about Singapore ???You did not mention that Singapore's PM and his cronies make MILLIONS while old and the poor collect cardboards for a living...How much do you know about CPF ?? Where the funds go to ?? You DO NOT TRULY know Singapore. PEROID.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 6,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabartek View Post
I wouldn't worry much about Singapore or Singaporeans. They're on their way to becoming the new UAE. The UAE has more foreigner population than citizens. In Singapore, foreigners are now 1/4 of the population. Given Singapore's low birth rate, they will be a country of non-citizens in a few decades like the UAE

The Hongkies need to chill and just send more Hongkies or perhaps mainlanders to Singapore

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-06-2015 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-06-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUNO88 View Post
WOW !! is that all you know about Singapore ???You did not mention that Singapore's PM and his cronies make MILLIONS while old and the poor collect cardboards for a living...How much do you know about CPF ?? Where the funds go to ?? You DO NOT TRULY know Singapore. PEROID.
It is precisely i know about my country that i know what can/will be discussed and what is out of bounds..

Questioning CPF funds flow and end up as a female version of Roy Ngern and face a lawsuit? No thanks ..

Many fellow Singaporeans have been wanting transpency abt CPF but let's face it.. The govt is never going to open the accounts book for the general public to view.

Only 2 options , one is to accept it and go with the masses, 2nd is to give up Singapore citizenship .... nothing else we can do abt it..

You may say it is dictatorship but yeah this is Singapore we are talking about

It's the jubilee weekend so please don't ruin my mood yeah..

Majulah Singapore

Tigerbalm.. Your views please !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia