U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:28 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,381,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Funny you mention all of that. I was in Guangzhou last summer. As I was walking down the street, some Chinese guy rammed me hard against the side, I turned to look at him, and then I saw him intentionally drop his bottle on the ground, then made a gesture as if I just caused that. Two seconds later he was grabbing me by the coat, and ready to strike me in the face. I shouted "NOOOOOO!" and he pulled his punch away and let go of my jacket.
Sounds about right...

Quote:
But, yeah, I could definitely feel an anti-foreigner sentiment there on the China mainland. Anyone who has been to China is hyper-aware that they cluelessly run into people left and right while walking around. Usually they dont even notice. So, that made me feel even more like he was intentionally trying to setup the foreigner to take out his own anti-foreigner sentiments.
Yeah, the average mainlander doesn't harbor ill feelings towards foreigners, but you get the guys whose lives probably suck, who ate up all the nationalism when they were young, and feel personally jilted when they see a non-Chinese person who appears to be doing OK and in a good mood... sort of like cops who target black guys with nice cars. No way in hell they'll take out their frustrations on a rich Chinese person who's doing better than them, because they know that person would be able to ream them badly in the legal system... so, foreigners make easy and convenient targets. They can exploit the nationalism and inferiority complexes of other guys like them as backup, and the legal system is stacked in their favor, so they get to take out their frustrations at their own failures on someone who's got a better life than them and stand a good chance of getting away with it.

The saving grace is if you're married, have a hukou, and/or a spousal visa. Your spouse or Chinese family can take up the matter; in the eyes of the law, they committed an act against your family, which means they have wronged other Chinese people.

As far as the OP goes, it makes me sick when people go to other countries and try to boss around or mess with the locals. You're a guest, no matter how well you are doing. Until you have legal rights to be there, you should remember that.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:03 AM

653 posts, read 541,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've found that, on the mainland and least, the English expats seem to be the ones who are the most likely to vocally make a fuss about something in public as far as anglophone natives go. The least likely to do it are Canadians.
The least likeliest to do this, from my own experience, are Australians, and New Zealanders. Perhaps I had too little contact with Welsh, Scottish and Irish, but so far, not too much trouble. From my own experience, sometimes and only on very rare occasions, English, (but only sometimes) (specifically referring to English from the England part of the UK) can sometimes (but not always) be the worst. Some of the stuff they write on expat forums in Singapore can be very vicious; I believe that they are from England (as opposed to the whole of the UK) based on the phrases and expressions they use.

Then again, it is dangerous to indulge in generalizations. I really prefer to avoid generalizations and try to think that it is only a small bunch that behave like this.

To be frank, Singaporean expats do exhibit ugly behaviour overseas. I had a friend whom now works as an expat in Mainland China.

When he came back, I found myself unable to talk to him; it was as if he lived in a bubble; I could tell he made zero effort to form lasting relationships or any friendships and did not exhibit any interest in other cultures or history.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,208,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
yes
lol!

Good thing folks stood up to him though.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM

14,757 posts, read 10,658,736 times
This thread is closed for moderator review.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,275,709 times
Default Singapore's Law Minister ask for employer of MRT bully to take action

Behaviour of man who bullied teen on MRT

Singapore's law minister have posted on social media regarding the recent MRT bullying incident in Singapore. Our government pushing the buck to the employer..

Wonder what drama will happen next ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or