Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 AM

155 posts, read 165,460 times

Advertisements

Do the countries in South East Asia give preference to China or Japan? In your opinion are the people pro Japan or China? (if there is such a thing)

I read that Vietnam and China are historical enemies, but I don´t know if Japan Invaded Vietnam.
In wikipedia it says that Singapore have Mandarin as one of the official languages so I guess that they might have a lot of influence from Chinese culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:18 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
What do you mean by preference? Historically Japan was an imperial power from overseas while Chinese immigrants influenced many other regions. But with the Cold War it depended upon where the nations stood in relation to China, the Soviets and the free West

Japan invaded the Vichy (after the surrender to Germany) French Indochina/Vietnam in 1940 to secure their flank in operations against China

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
I wouldn't say any are pro China or pro Japan. Asian countries are mostly nationalistic and many don't have very good relationships with each other.

Vietnam and China were allies at one time and both communist countries. Recently relations have been tense, at one time in the last year or 2 China pulled everyone out of Vietnam and started massing military near the border.

With the S. China Sea fiasco all relationships are somewhat tense right now.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Thailand overall is more pro-Japan despite nearly 20% of the population having Chinese ancestors.

"According to a 2014 BBC World Service Poll, the opinion of China among Indonesians remains strongly positive and stable, with 52% of positive view compared to 28% expressing a negative view"

"70% of Indonesians view Japan's influence positively, with 14% expressing a negative view, making Indonesia one of the most pro-Japanese countries in the world"

Old 07-12-2015, 02:58 PM

440 posts, read 662,139 times
China during the late Qing dynasty did try to help Vietnam to push out the French but failed. Chinese dynasties ruled Vietnam for about 1000 years before it became independent, therefore Vietnamese culture is much more Chinese influenced compared with other Southeast Asian countries. Vietnam has the highest usage of chopsticks among all Southeast Asian countries. Modern conflicts are mainly territorial disputes.

Japan invaded Vietnam but only for a few years during world war 2, and commited much less war crimes there than in China and elsewhere, like the Phillippines and Singapore.

Singapore adopted Mandarin and simplified Chinese as an official language to unit all ethnic Chinese with different dialects to speak a single standard Chinese. About 3 quarters of all Singaporeans are ethnic Chinese descended from immigrants from Guangdong and Fujian. These happened long before Singapore established relations with China.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:15 PM

919 posts, read 839,844 times
According to BBC World Service poll, Japan is one of the most popular countries in the world.

I think only Pakistan is overall positive to China.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM

653 posts, read 743,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
Do the countries in South East Asia give preference to China or Japan? In your opinion are the people pro Japan or China? (if there is such a thing)

I read that Vietnam and China are historical enemies, but I don´t know if Japan Invaded Vietnam.
In wikipedia it says that Singapore have Mandarin as one of the official languages so I guess that they might have a lot of influence from Chinese culture.
Actually, Singapore also have been heavily influenced by other cultures too, not just Chinese culture.

me and many of my friends (at least in my social circles) hardly eat Chinese food every week. In fact, i actually don't each plain Chinese rice anymore, I eat more roti prata, and nasi briyani. Fish head curry, a food craze of Singaporeans, is actually from India. I can speak phrases of Malay and Tamil.

But seriously, the countries in South East Asia give neither preference to China or Japan; more realistically, what kind of benefits or preference can one nation get from allying itself with another nation?

it is not about love, but is about survival and how a nation can heighten it's own chances of survival.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:48 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Actually, Singapore also have been heavily influenced by other cultures too, not just Chinese culture.

me and many of my friends (at least in my social circles) hardly eat Chinese food every week. In fact, i actually don't each plain Chinese rice anymore, I eat more roti prata, and nasi briyani. Fish head curry, a food craze of Singaporeans, is actually from India. I can speak phrases of Malay and Tamil.

But seriously, the countries in South East Asia give neither preference to China or Japan; more realistically, what kind of benefits or preference can one nation get from allying itself with another nation?

it is not about love, but is about survival and how a nation can heighten it's own chances of survival.
Well you are not chinese by race right ?

I guess a lot depends on what race you are.. Chinese Singaporeans would probably be heavily influenced by Chinese cultures, Malays by Malay customs etc.

however much people say singapore is multi racial etc, there is still some distinguishment and separation by race in our minds.

The recent MRT incident, people noted that it was a chinese teenager victim and a Malay guy who confronted the white guy.. We still care about race

Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 PM

488 posts, read 819,527 times
Younger generations of SE Asians and those who know little about history are very fond of Japanese pop culture. Japanese pop culture (which is largely derived/copied from American pop culture), influences the youth in many other Asian countries, though I think this is declining. I think South Korean pop culture is somewhat replacing Japan in terms of influence. Older folks and anyone with knowledge of history at all resent or even hate Japan (the politicians mainly, not the general population) on some level, especially in countries that Japan occupied (obviously). I think that many SE Asians would prefer to do business with China over Japan, if given a choice.

Last edited by mark85; 07-12-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 01:18 AM

653 posts, read 743,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well you are not chinese by race right ?

I guess a lot depends on what race you are.. Chinese Singaporeans would probably be heavily influenced by Chinese cultures, Malays by Malay customs etc.

however much people say singapore is multi racial etc, there is still some distinguishment and separation by race in our minds.

The recent MRT incident, people noted that it was a chinese teenager victim and a Malay guy who confronted the white guy.. We still care about race
Actually, on my NRIC, my ethnicity is Chinese but inside my heart, I consider myself to be Singaporean only.

When people ask me if I am Chinese, I say "I am Singaporean".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia