Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times

Advertisements

Im always hearing news stories about people bullying the Chinese, burning down their business, smashing their car, rioting etc. Usually in other asian countries or western countries.

What about other asian ethnic groups? dont they ever get bullied or attacked by mobs?

I have heard of some racist hate crimes against Indians / muslims

what about the Vietnamese, the Koreans, the Japanese, Lao, Hmong, Filipinos, etc?

I remember during the LA riots the Korean business were targeted and burned down , looted

Last edited by green papaya; 07-16-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
I recall some Japanese student got shot in Michigan or something.

Americans do not really bother to distinguish different Asians either.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:52 AM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times
In the US I would seriously doubt you'd be targeted for being Asian, it would be extremely rare.

Looting and rioting of Korean shop owners like during the LA riots would have happened if they were white, black or whatever....they were mass looting.

In some isolated parts of major urban areas of the US I'm sure there might be some grudges between ethnic groups but again that would be in rougher areas.

In short, the real threat would just be normal crime.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In the US I would seriously doubt you'd be targeted for being Asian, it would be extremely rare.
Looting and rioting of Korean shop owners like during the LA riots would have happened if they were white, black or whatever....they were mass looting.
In some isolated parts of major urban areas of the US I'm sure there might be some grudges between ethnic groups but again that would be in rougher areas.
There are two ways of seeing the Rodney King riots. One was Koreans owned the liquor stores and were spread out as each store got targeted for its product. The other is as the riots moved north towards Koreatown the first militia of Koreans stood to protect their businesses so the only fighting taking place after the LAPD ran away was with the Koreans militia.

Along with the King beating a Black girl had been recently shot in the back of her head by a Korean grandmother after a dispute over paying for orange juice. If I recall she was acquitted.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Im always hearing news stories about people bullying the Chinese, burning down their business, smashing their car, rioting etc. Usually in other asian countries or western countries.
Outside of the Koreans in the LA Riots (and that just because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time), I can only think of Chinese being targeted in Indonesia.

I think I also recall Spain, as they were burning down competing Chinese shoe factories. Where else have you heard of this? I'm guessing Africa, I could see it being a potential problem in the future though.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Wrong. Korean and Asian shops were specifically targeted by blacks during the riots. Luckily, they are made of tough stuff, and not only did they protect their shops using weapons, but they rebuilt stronger and better.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:43 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Outside of the Koreans in the LA Riots (and that just because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time), I can only think of Chinese being targeted in Indonesia.

I think I also recall Spain, as they were burning down competing Chinese shoe factories. Where else have you heard of this? I'm guessing Africa, I could see it being a potential problem in the future though.
Nope, there was STRONG anti-Korean sentiment in LA at that time. Blacks resented the fact that Koreans were running stores in "their" neighborhoods. Those Korean stores were targeted during the riots.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:05 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nope, there was STRONG anti-Korean sentiment in LA at that time. Blacks resented the fact that Koreans were running stores in "their" neighborhoods. Those Korean stores were targeted during the riots.
The question becomes if Blacks, Latinos or Armenians owned the liquor stores would they have been the first target. If Historic Filipinotown or Thai town had been south of Koreatown instead of north, could they have gotten enough men to organize into a militia and fight the looting stream?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The question becomes if Blacks, Latinos or Armenians owned the liquor stores would they have been the first target. If Historic Filipinotown or Thai town had been south of Koreatown instead of north, could they have gotten enough men to organize into a militia and fight the looting stream?
There was specifically anti-Korean sentiment in the black community in LA at the time, and it was indeed egged on by the recent acquittal of an elderly Korean woman who shot a young black girl in the head after she suspected her of stealing an orange juice. She screamed at and grabbed the girl, the girl shoved her off, she pulled out a gun and shot her point- blank in the back of the head as she was leaving; I've seen the security camera footage ans don't see how she could have been acquitted, personally.

This came at the same time as the Rodney King beating and acquittals, and also on the heels of harsh treatment of black folks by Korean shopkeepers, who opened stores in black areas because it was good for business but took a fairly abrasive and unfriendly attitude towards them... the "YOU PAY THEN GO!!" stereotype. The flipside was that Korean shops had been robbed by black gangs, and occasionally store owners or their family members were robbed, killed, or assaulted by gangs. There was a lot of animosity broiling on both sides and the riots made it worse.

The fact is that no one really cared whether the businesses were Korean, black, mexican, or white-owned; plenty of black families lost their businesses and livelihoods all the same. Most of the rioters were just looking to trash things and loot, not to make a political point.

but, the damage was done; when I first moved to LA in '02, there was still palpable and open animosity between the two communities. I recall seeing a group of young Korean thugs stop their car an get out to asault a group of early-teenage black kids by a K-town burger king for no discernable reason. Black people would openly do the whole "ching chong chang" thing at Koreans and immediately snap to "DO YOU UNDERSTAND A DAMN THING I'M SAYING?" in interactions. Koreans would shout down at black people. It's mellower now, but especially among area natives, there is still some residual animosity.

The rest of LA doesn't have a problem with Koreans or other Asians though. LA is probably the only city in the West where a Chinese person will be mistaken for a Korean, though, and not the inverse

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I recall some Japanese student got shot in Michigan or something.

Americans do not really bother to distinguish different Asians either.
That shooting was in Lousiana about 23 years ago...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deat...hihiro_Hattori
The Japanese and other Asian media, and also Asian-American rights activists and groups, framed it as an example of racist Americans targeting Asians, but it really was more an instance of American castle-doctrine gun culture claiming someone who happened to be Asian. There are countless similar stories of white people suffering the same fate at the hands of a paranoid and trigger-happy gun owner, and it's nOt agood example of Asians being "bullied" in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia