U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM

653 posts, read 539,571 times

Advertisements

Are Cantonese surnames tend to be different from other chinese surnames? For example, I see the surname Fam, which i don't see in other chinese surnames.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 AM

501 posts, read 461,461 times
Fam doesn't sound like a cantonese surname to me (I cannot think of any words with that pronunciation). I think the most common Cantonese surnames are Chan, Lee, Cheung, Leung, Wong, Ho, and maybe Ng. Perhaps that name comes from a Chinese person from Vietnam where Pham (范) is a common surname.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:39 AM

4,165 posts, read 9,095,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Fam doesn't sound like a cantonese surname to me (I cannot think of any words with that pronunciation). I think the most common Cantonese surnames are Chan, Lee, Cheung, Leung, Wong, Ho, and maybe Ng. Perhaps that name comes from a Chinese person from Vietnam where Pham (范) is a common surname.
Agreed.. Probably Pham which is originally Fan

Old 07-24-2015, 07:13 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Are Cantonese surnames tend to be different from other chinese surnames? For example, I see the surname Fam, which i don't see in other chinese surnames.
When you say Cantonese, it could be Cantonese from Guangdong Province in China, or Hong Kong. They use different systems, so the same surname can look differently.

The entire China uses the same phonetic system so it doesn't matter which region people are from.

For example, Lau is used in HK versus Liu in China. When you see Wang, it is from China, and Wong is from Hong Kong. They are the same thing in Chinese, just different when HKers spell it. It is like John is Juan in Spanish.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:24 PM

722 posts, read 920,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
When you say Cantonese, it could be Cantonese from Guangdong Province in China, or Hong Kong. They use different systems, so the same surname can look differently.

The entire China uses the same phonetic system so it doesn't matter which region people are from.

For example, Lau is used in HK versus Liu in China. When you see Wang, it is from China, and Wong is from Hong Kong. They are the same thing in Chinese, just different when HKers spell it. It is like John is Juan in Spanish.
names like LAM can also be spelled LUM or LIM, depending on the dialect, I here the dialect can be different 20 miles away in another village, it changes with the area.

Vietnamese names like Tran are spelled Chan for Chinese from China / HK

several Vietnamese names are variations of Chinese surnames, but spelled their way

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
names like LAM can also be spelled LUM or LIM, depending on the dialect, I here the dialect can be different 20 miles away in another village, it changes with the area.

several Vietnamese names are variations of Chinese surnames, but spelled their way
It is Chen in China. In china all surnames have only one spelling.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM

4,165 posts, read 9,095,216 times
Quote:

LAM = LIN

Never seen it written as LUM. It may sound like LUM in Cantonese but not written that way.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 AM

722 posts, read 920,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
LAM = LIN

Never seen it written as LUM. It may sound like LUM in Cantonese but not written that way.
I have seen it written that way in California

http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks....cisco&state=CA

Old 08-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I have seen it written that way in California

http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks....cisco&state=CA
yes, but very rarely. It is usually Lam (Cantonese) or Lim (Minnan), or Lin (Mandarin).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_(surname)

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
I knew a Chinese-American family named Lum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or