U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 AM

1,424 posts, read 774,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robto View Post
So what's your point all along?

Body odor cames from lack of hygiene, there's no other cause for it. If you don't shower, clean yourself or use deodorant as often you will smell irrespective of what race you are. There's no particular odor attached to a specific race. Your entire theory is flawed.

And there are other points that you made that are inaccurate as well:

- Mediterraneans, Australoids and Southern Africans also suffer higher incidences of lactose intolerance;

- Me and my entire family have dry ear wax, and I think I've never met anyone with "oily" or "wet" ear wax;

- There are a lot of Southern Europeans, Eastern Europeans and South Asians with straight hair. And seriously, I've seen some Southeast Asians with curly and even nappy hair.

One thing that makes East Asians apart from everyone else, IMO, is their relative lack of social skills, but of course, I'm grossly generalizing.
Let me put it this way:

Let people from different races shower at the same time, and then stay in the same place for one day.
They will have different odors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 PM

112 posts, read 45,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Let me put it this way:

Let people from different races shower at the same time, and then stay in the same place for one day.
Maybe, but that wasn't what the OP was trying to suggest. He was insinuating that Asians didn't need deodorant like westerners, which in itself implied that his race doesn't naturally smell as bad as other races.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but that wasn't what the OP was trying to suggest. He was insinuating that Asians didn't need deodorant like westerners, which in itself implied that his race doesn't naturally smell as bad as other races.
It's true that most Asians do not have noticeable odor if they shower every day and change clothes accordingly. Whites and blacks tend to have stronger odor, on average.

Most Chinese Americans I know do not use deodorant products.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,683,375 times
Quote:
So what's your point all along?

Body odor cames from lack of hygiene, there's no other cause for it. If you don't shower, clean yourself or use deodorant as often you will smell irrespective of what race you are. There's no particular odor attached to a specific race. Your entire theory is flawed.

And there are other points that you made that are inaccurate as well:

- Mediterraneans, Australoids and Southern Africans also suffer higher incidences of lactose intolerance;

- Me and my entire family have dry ear wax, and I think I've never met anyone with "oily" or "wet" ear wax;

- There are a lot of Southern Europeans, Eastern Europeans and South Asians with straight hair. And seriously, I've seen some Southeast Asians with curly and even nappy hair.

One thing that makes East Asians apart from everyone else, IMO, is their relative lack of social skills, but of course, I'm grossly generalizing.
please don't replace science with your own experience.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gor...-your-ancestry

of course you can deny body odor difference and pretend it is a matter of personal hygiene. Unfortunately science doesn't agree with you.

East Asians don't lack social skills, but they may appear that way to you only because social skills are high subjective and depend on culture. Just because one keeps talking and talking doesn't make him sociable. I prefer people be silent if they don't have anything interesting to say.

All the typical yapping about unimportant stuff such as kids, baseball games or weather isn't "social skills" in my view. I won't be interested in any conversation if that doesn't involve a high degree of intelligence and strong personal opinion about things that matter, but I find a lot of people deliberately avoid just that and instead resort to talk about trivial things that doesn't require any wisdom, because that's "safe".

Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM

2,624 posts, read 6,353,353 times
Quote:
Let me put it this way:

Why don't we put it this way:

Different people have different odors -- even identical twins.
PLOS ONE: Dogs Discriminate Identical Twins

Old 08-19-2015, 02:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 6,353,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

of course you can deny body odor difference and pretend it is a matter of personal hygiene. Unfortunately science doesn't agree with you.
That article is more "entertainment" than "science." Here's a link to a more "scientific" article...
BMC Genetics -- A strong association of axillary osmidrosis with the wet earwax type determined by genotyping of the ABCC11 gene

If one peruses the BMC Genetics article, the test subjects were 79 individuals from either Nagasaki or Okinawa that were diagnosed with "axillary osmidrosis" (aka "AO" or "smelly armpits"), which is relatively small sample size. So, here's the "disclaimer"...
Quote:
In this study, AO individuals were defined as those who were anxious about axillary odor and had received a surgical operation in the clinics to remove their axillary apocrine glands. In general, some Japanese are very sensitive and nervous of body odor and often visit the clinics, probably because the majority of the population have faint odor. From this background, plastic surgeons are familiar with AO and the collection of AO patients is easy. However, no objective diagnostic methods are available for axillary odor. Therefore, diagnosis of AO was made through self-declaration by the individual and through the clinician's judgment at interview prior to the operation. Earwax type was not considered for the AO diagnosis. Although AO due to primary and secondary hyperhidrosis was excluded as much as possible, individuals with such conditions may have been included in our samples. If we collected samples from individuals with faint axillary odor (or without odor), well-trained plastic surgeons who collected the "AO" patient judged the axillary odor. In this situation, our association could be defined as a double blind study, but it is difficult to smell the axilla in the general population. Therefore, we focused our interest on the measurement the sensitivity of the earwax genotype to judge AO. When objective diagnostic methods are available for axillary odor, a complete double blind study will be feasible.
However, here's the fun part of the article...
Quote:
A relationship between axillary odor and the wet-type earwax was first noticed among the Japanese population concurrent with the first discovery of the earwax type as a Mendelian trait. Japanese clinicians assert an association between axillary odor and earwax type; however, since no definite diagnostic criteria or measuring methods were available for the two traits, the data is based on observations of the two respective traits.
Apparently, the Japanese clinicians replaced "science" with their own "experience."

Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Isn't what you'r doing as well?

Quote:

Jonah K already mentioned that we should take this scientific finding with a grain of salt. Even scientists that research this didn't came out with a conclusive explanation.

Quote:
East Asians don't lack social skills, but they may appear that way to you only because social skills are high subjective and depend on culture. Just because one keeps talking and talking doesn't make him sociable. I prefer people be silent if they don't have anything interesting to say.

All the typical yapping about unimportant stuff such as kids, baseball games or weather isn't "social skills" in my view. I won't be interested in any conversation if that doesn't involve a high degree of intelligence and strong personal opinion about things that matter, but I find a lot of people deliberately avoid just that and instead resort to talk about trivial things that doesn't require any wisdom, because that's "safe".
I think you'r mistaken. I based social skills more in non-verbal behavior than verbal.

You can be a very socially awkward guy and talk a lot. I've met a lot of dudes that generally talked a lot about useless subjects and bored everyone around them - that's not a person I would classify as having good social skills.

In my view, social skills is more about how do you present yourself towards others: the way you smile, your posture, gesture, body language and eye contact.

And the verbal skills is more about how you use your speech: your tone of voice, volume of speech, the words you choose, etc.

And lastly, it is about what energy do you transmit to others: how charismatic, positive, cheerful, attentive, how high is your self-esteem and how confident you are.

East Asians, in my own experience, seemed to lack those skills, whereas Blacks, White Americans, Brazilians and Mediterraneans in general seemed to have higher social skills than other people.

Of course, my assertion is not based on any scientific study. It is entirely based on my life experience and it's not at all indicative of any accurate information about racial groups. This is all generalizations.

Last edited by robto; 08-19-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Isn't what you'r doing as well?

Jonah K already mentioned that we should take this scientific finding with a grain of salt. Even scientists that research this didn't came out with a conclusive explanation.

I think you'r mistaken. I based social skills more in non-verbal behavior than verbal.

You can be a very socially awkward guy and talk a lot. I've met a lot of dudes that generally talked a lot about useless subjects and bored everyone around them - that's not a person I would classify as having good social skills.

In my view social skills is more about how do you present yourself towards others: the way you smile, your posture, gesture, body language and eye contact.

And the verbal skills is more about how you use your speech: your tone of voice, volume of speech, the words you choose, etc.

And lastly, it is about what energy do you transmit to others: how charismatic, positive, cheerful, attentive, how high is your self-esteem and how confident you are.

East Asians, in my own experience, seemed to lack those skills, whereas Blacks, White Americans, Brazilians and Mediterraneans in general seemed to have higher social skills than other people.

Of course, my assertion is not based on any scientific study. It is entirely based on my life experience and it's not at all indicative of any accurate information about racial groups. This is all generalizations.
If you live in China, speaking poor Chinese and not being familiar with Chinese customs, you are likely to be "socially awkward" too. Chinese people in China have adequate social skills and the society functions well.

In Asia (not just East Asia), men and women are not supposed to reveal their sexual attractions, or even to demonstrate their charisma. If you mean that.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If you live in China, speaking poor Chinese and not being familiar with Chinese customs, you are likely to be "socially awkward" too. Chinese people in China have adequate social skills and the society functions well.
When I went to the Netherlands I didn't speak a word of Dutch, my English was pretty bad and didn't knew nothing about Dutch culture or customs. And with me there were many Italians and Middle Easterners in a similar situation. Nonetheless we were able to make a lot of friends and invited on many social events, that didn't happen to my East Asian colleagues. Maybe they have enough social skills to live in their respective countries, but if they go overseas they seriously need to adapt.

Quote:
In Asia (not just East Asia), men and women are not supposed to reveal their sexual attractions, or even to demonstrate their charisma. If you mean that.
So in the Middle East. But you don't even know the Iranian girls I've met when I was in Holland. They did not behave as you expect them to behave...

Old 08-19-2015, 04:19 PM

5,083 posts, read 6,635,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Indians are not lactose intolerant. It is very hard to find a person who cant digest milk in India.
Not according to this article:
Lactose Tolerance in the Indian Dairyland | Science Life

When I became interested in this project, everybody said ‘Everyone in India drinks milk,'” Gallego Romero said. “But when we got the results, we said, ‘No, only 18 percent of people in India are digesting milk, nobody else is.'”

The mystery then is why so many people believe themselves to be lactose tolerant when they are in fact genetically unable to produce lactase into adulthood. One theory is that non-Europeans experience less severe symptoms of lactose intolerance, and thus may not notice the consequences of failing to digest dairy as much. Another answer comes from how Indians prepare their milk – often fermenting it to use as yogurt or paneer, which breaks down the lactose within.

“I guarantee you that if you make most Indians drink a big glass of milk, they will not come back to you saying everyone in India drinks milk any more,” Gallego Romero said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or