Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times

Advertisements

Duh. My comment went right over your head. No surprise, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Asians are pretty interesting. Mentally they are also different from the other races. They all tend to be very shy and mysterious. Its strange but every asian i have met is shy and mysterious. Just like most black people i meet tend to be loud and agressive
Please be careful with such generalizations as it borders on racism, which is not allowed by the TOS. Future posts along these lines will be deleted and may result in infractions.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boticelli
You know the important stuff white and black people can't live without,deodorant? It is hard to find them in a China or Korea. About 5% of Chinese have noticeable body odour, vs about 90% among Caucacians and 99% of blacks. In Chinese we call that "fox stink" because it is unusual and unpleasant while among other races it is common (unusual not to have it). This is why they take a shower in the MORNING. I can go without a show for a week and nobody will smell anything (not that it is something we should do). Basically all humans carry this gene (like all animals) when they left Africa but only east Asians lost it somehow.
This is something that I hear a lot of people (particularly of East Asian descent) say, but anyone who has spent any time on a Chinese metro, in a taxi, etc can tell you that this is bogus. People here seem used to B.O. compared to most Westerners so it doesn't seem to bother them, but it's certainly still there...

Old 07-26-2015, 08:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is something that I hear a lot of people (particularly of East Asian descent) say, but anyone who has spent any time on a Chinese metro, in a taxi, etc can tell you that this is bogus. People here seem used to B.O. compared to most Westerners so it doesn't seem to bother them, but it's certainly still there...
Body odour difference is a scientific fact supported by plenty of evidence. (You can google) There is no point in trying to deny the difference. These are racial difference and let's just look at them objectively without feeling the need to be defensive, ok?

Chinese metro can be smelly as well but I am not sure how that contradicts anything I said. You need controlled samples to come to conclusions, not "I used to know a Chinese friend who stinks all the time" or "Guangzhou subways have bad smell in the summer".

It is supposed to be a fun topic so don't make it sound racist (I had no such intention).

Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Yes, it is true that East Asians have fewer apocrine sweat glands, which are the source of so-called body odor, compared to people of other descent, and the lack of these glands make East Asians less prone to giving off body odor. But, it does not make them less prone to being smelly.

Diet and hygien play an important role, as does cultural acclimitization to certain smells. Anyone who has ever rode a bus in tropical Asia or who has steppped into a taxi cab of a driver who has been eating pungent cuisine and then belching freely understands that no particular "race" has a monopoly on unpleasant smells.

So to the OP: Yes, East Asians are special, in many ways. So is everyone else. There. None of us are particularly special, now that we think about it.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:57 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I'm curious about this. You say racism is not allowed by the TOS? Then why isn't there some monitoring of SEVERAL threads here wherein MANY posters are completely uninhibited about their blatant racism? (See Current Events, Politics). It's horrendous.

I'm not defending this poster if any such sentiment was intended, but honestly WHY are those posts allowed to persist? They are quite ugly and the intensity is unbelievable.
LOL..the situation seems almost as hilarious as a "fast-and-furious" driver being caught randomly by an off-duty cop trying to issue him/her a speeding ticket!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Yes, it is true that East Asians have fewer apocrine sweat glands, which are the source of so-called body odor, compared to people of other descent, and the lack of these glands make East Asians less prone to giving off body odor. But, it does not make them less prone to being smelly.

Diet and hygiene play an important role, as does cultural acclimitization to certain smells. Anyone who has ever rode a bus in tropical Asia or who has steppped into a taxi cab of a driver who has been eating pungent cuisine and then belching freely understands that no particular "race" has a monopoly on unpleasant smells.

So to the OP: Yes, East Asians are special, in many ways. So is everyone else. There. None of us are particularly special, now that we think about it.

This made me think immediately of something and I don't want to offend anyone. It's going to stray off topic... Individuals with Downs Syndrome (Trisomy 21) 'don't sweat' or have fewer sweat glands. In years past, they were labeled "Mongoloid". I know this was because of similarity of the eyes, but isn't this sweat gland similarity a curious coincidence?

Dr. John Langdon Down, who discovered Down’s syndrome in the 1860s, used “mongolism” and “mongoloid” to describe the syndrome as he stated that there were similar physical characteristics of people with Down’s syndrome to people from Mongolia and Mongoloid race (those of Asian ethnicity). This phrase was used until the 1960s, when scientists petitioned to use “Down’s syndrome” instead of “Mongolism” or “Mongoloid” as they were embarrassing terms for Chinese and Japanese scientists and academics to use this word to refer to the syndrome.

word choice - Mongoloid with reference to Down's syndrome - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Body odour difference is a scientific fact supported by plenty of evidence. (You can google) There is no point in trying to deny the difference. These are racial difference and let's just look at them objectively without feeling the need to be defensive, ok?
I'm not being defensive at all... I smell great I'm a vegetarian, which helps.

I'm aware that these are scientifically supported facts, that different races sweat (and consequently, smell) differently. It's just that basically everyone stinks in absence of proper hygiene.

Westerners' B.O. seems to smell more acidic and/or fatty. East Asians' seems to smell more like rancid cumin, both of whIch are likely biproducts of diet.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
. It's just that basically everyone stinks in absence of proper hygiene.
true, but to quite different degrees, that's the point.

The truth is, after a regular work day involving probably slight physical activity, a white man's arm pits smell while an Asian man' don't. This is why majority of Asians do not need deodorant products while in Europe and America you have an entire isle dedicated to that and most people have to use it every single day.

Deodorant is so popular in western countries that even white people without the gene for armpit odours still use it, because they feel weird not to since everyone does. It is like a complete bald person uses a comb just because everyone else does.

People without Gene for Underarm Odor Still Wear Deodorant - Scientific American

Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 AM

399 posts, read 719,757 times
This is interesting. I knew about the lactose intolerance and kind of came up with the same conclusions about body odor just from experiences. I didn't know about the ear wax. I'm a westerner but of a mixed background. European: German/Swedish. Native American from Central America and African from slaves that lived on the Caribbean basin of Central America. My wife is Asian with typical Asian characteristics like straight black hair etc. She's not lactose intolerant, but I'm. I will have to compare our ear wax one of these days. From observation I noticed that Asians don't have as much a body odor like Westerner's. I'm surprised how my wife never smells bad even after working out, but than again she showers everyday. I think most of it has to do with diet. She grew up eating mostly fish, rice, and vegetables. I have to wear deodorant or I'll stink..but my smell at the same time is not as strong as some of my fellow westerner's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia