U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times

Advertisements

Well, the lactose intolerance seems to go with the origins of some E Asians as fisherfolk. That's certainly true in the Russian Far East and Japan. I don't know about China, and honestly, I'd doubt the Koreans have a high percentage of lactose intolerance, but....maybe. Asians who historically have been herders don't have lactose intolerance. Lactose tolerance/intolerance seems to evolve as a result of the traditional diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, the lactose intolerance seems to go with the origins of some E Asians as fisherfolk. That's certainly true in the Russian Far East and Japan. I don't know about China, and honestly, I'd doubt the Koreans have a high percentage of lactose intolerance, but....maybe. Asians who historically have been herders don't have lactose intolerance. Lactose tolerance/intolerance seems to evolve as a result of the traditional diet.
90% of Koreans are intolerant. 98% for Japan, 92% for China. 90% for Hong Kong and Taiwan.

global lactose intolerance statistics

It has been argued that lactose intolerance is not genetic but due to dairy products consumption, which I agreed with, but I have doubts now. If that were the case, how come only East Asians show such high rate (over 90%)? The entire rest of the world consumers more milk and cheese?

Also many intolerant people seem to argue that they are intolerant despite consuming a lot of milk into their adulthood.

France and Israel consumes similar amount of milk per capital, but lactose intolerance is 20% in France and 70% in Israel. Germans and Italians consumes similar milk but it is 15% in Germany and 68% in Italy. Hard to explain....

Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM

722 posts, read 920,740 times
going a few months without regular consumption of dairy is enough to cause some lactose intolerance

I never stopped drinking milk or eating dairy products since childhood, thats probably why I dont notice any problems with dairy products.

very few asian dishes use dairy, restaurants dont even use it, except for the kids that order milk with a meal

they seem to use more Soy products instead of dairy, I knew 90 year old asian men that still drank milk daily with no problems.

I think most people become intolerant because they stopped consuming it regularly like when they were younger.

Lots of european foods use dairy products like milk, butter, cream, cheese, so the people would be more tolerant because they use it more often.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:34 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
90% of Koreans are intolerant. 98% for Japan, 92% for China. 90% for Hong Kong and Taiwan.

global lactose intolerance statistics

It has been argued that lactose intolerance is not genetic but due to dairy products consumption, which I agreed with, but I have doubts now. If that were the case, how come only East Asians show such high rate (over 90%)? The entire rest of the world consumers more milk and cheese? .
Again, those populations whose bodies evolved over time on a diet of mainly fish, with no dairy, wouldn't have what it takes to digest dairy. Ancestrally, the Japanese, Ainu, and the Manchu tribes in the Far east relied on fish, and most still do. I can't speak to the history of the Chinese, but one could guess that , their ancestral diet was somewhat similar.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Again, those populations whose bodies evolved over time on a diet of mainly fish, with no dairy, wouldn't have what it takes to digest dairy. Ancestrally, the Japanese, Ainu, and the Manchu tribes in the Far east relied on fish, and most still do. I can't speak to the history of the Chinese, but one could guess that , their ancestral diet was somewhat similar.
Ancestors of Chinese came from Indo-China as well as central Asia, according to the mainstream research. However modern Chinese is a mixture of very many groups in history.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,143 times
Quote:
true, but to quite different degrees, that's the point.
To be precise, your point seems to be that whites and blacks have greater body odor caused by underarm perspiration. Thats's why whites and blacks use deoderant.

But, I assure you, again, that Asians can be just as, if not more smelly, due to other reasons.

So, what exactly is the point of this?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Quote:
true, but to quite different degrees, that's the point.

The truth is, after a regular work day involving probably slight physical activity, a white man's arm pits smell while an Asian man' don't. This is why majority of Asians do not need deodorant products while in Europe and America you have an entire isle dedicated to that and most people have to use it every single day.
Deoderant is also readily available in HK, Macau, Japan, Korea, etc. A lot of it is just as much cultural as anything else... China, Vietnam, etc are post-Communist, developing nations where large swaths of the population simply don't have the means to worry about hygiene to the level that people from developed nations do. Wealthier mainland Chinese guys and HK'ers will wear deodorant (which you can buy at any major supermarket, such as Vanguard or Trust Mart) and will sneer about the "poor hygiene" of "uneducated" Chinese.

As an aside, I used some Adidas-branded, Chinese-made deodorant and I don't know what was up with the chemicals they use, but my lymph nodes swelled up to the point I had to go to the hospital and they had to lance it... Now I buy Rexona.

A lot of it also has to do with acclimation. Most Westerners here will complain about how Chinese dudes smell, because they don't wear deodorant and they do, indeed, sweat all day... and the sweat has a different smell than what Westerners are used to. Conversely, a Western dude who wore deodorant and then sweated all day who smells "okay" to another Westerner will smell "bad" to a Chinese person.

Quote:
Deodorant is so popular in western countries that even white people without the gene for armpit odours still use it, because they feel weird not to since everyone does. It is like a complete bald person uses a comb just because everyone else does.

People without Gene for Underarm Odor Still Wear Deodorant - Scientific American
That's definitely true. I sweat a good amount but don't get B.O., but I still applied deodorant when I was in MA or SF during the winter.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
To be precise, your point seems to be that whites and blacks have greater body odor caused by underarm perspiration. Thats's why whites and blacks use deoderant.

But, I assure you, again, that Asians can be just as, if not more smelly, due to other reasons.

So, what exactly is the point of this?
the point is genetic differences. Of course everyone can be stinky under certain circumstances. '

What don't you get it? Asians can have curly/blond hair if they decide to curl/dye their hair, but genetically they don't have curly/blond hair. That's what I am talking about it.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:22 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,218,752 times
Quote:
When I say interesting species I mean it literally.

About 90% of Asians are lactose intolerant, while among other races it is usually very low (<5%). I was tolerant when I was younger, then TURNED after the age of 26/27. Don't know why. Guess the genes kicked in.

You know the important stuff white and black people can't live without,deodorant? It is hard to find them in a China or Korea. About 5% of Chinese have noticeable body odour, vs about 90% among Caucacians and 99% of blacks. In Chinese we call that "fox stink" because it is unusual and unpleasant while among other races it is common (unusual not to have it). This is why they take a shower in the MORNING. I can go without a show for a week and nobody will smell anything (not that it is something we should do). Basically all humans carry this gene (like all animals) when they left Africa but only east Asians lost it somehow.

Northern Asians are the only people who display single layer of eyelid. You don't see that in whites, blacks, Indians, or even SE Asians.

I always wondered why ear secretion is called "ear wax", how is it wax? Until I realize white and black people have wet and often oily stuff from the ears. Asians have it too, but it is usually thin flakes, and completely dry. I was pretty shocked to learn the difference.

Ever seen white and black people spend big bucks to straighten their hair? About 99.9% Asians have straight hair. It can be hot with 100% humidity and my hair will still be straight instead of curled up like a mess.

In some sense, we East Asians are the X-men! We just evolved differently.
It's somewhat ironic for folks to discuss evolution and genetic variation within Homo sapiens sapiens with someone that appears to have forgotten the definition of "species." It's akin to discussing calculus with someone that's forgotten basic geometry.

Last edited by Jonah K; 07-28-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,143 times
Quote:
the point is genetic differences. Of course everyone can be stinky under certain circumstances. '
So, what is the point of your post?

Quote:
What don't you get it?
Just trying to see what the point of your post is.

Quote:
Asians can have curly/blond hair if they decide to curl/dye their hair, but genetically they don't have curly/blond hair. That's what I am talking about it.
Why? Who cares?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or