U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 771,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's interesting. In Japanese, that "underarm odor" is callled 腋臭 (wakiga). For non-Japanese people from the West, the term バター臭い ("batā kusai" or "smelling of butter") is used.
腋臭 is used in Chinese too. They mean the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 PM

9,955 posts, read 13,690,049 times
Quote:
While the number of sweat glands varies by the individual, the sweat glands are the same. As the Japanese language alludes to, one's diet probably has a greater impact on one's particular odor than anything else.
That's what I'd assume. Use people whose ethnic/racial origins are from the Indian subcontinent as an example.

People who eat curries and meals with strong, aromatic spices all day tend to have stronger body odor. My ex-wife was ethnically Pakistani/North Indian, and while she and her other US-bound family members who ate more Western style food and wore deodorant didn't smell any different from anyone else, visiting family members would tend to have a much stronger body odor and also didn't have the same propensity for wearing deodorants. Plenty of my IndoPak-American/Canadian/English friends would reference this, too; within a few weeks of being in the West and adapting to local diets, it was a non-issue. There were also stretches where I'd eat tons of Indian food, and after a couple days, I'd suddenly "smell myself" in a car or a confined space and be quite surprised.

Chinese people will also warn you against eating too much hot pot, because they say that the prickly pear seed oil that gives it a numbing flavor will make you smell like hot pot when you sweat it out.

Peoples' bodies react differently to different types of food and diets, and that's the case across any and all ethnic groups.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ your quote research is more about deodorant usage than racial difference in auxiliary odour.

It has been proven that "Earwax type and axillary odor are genetically determined by rs17822931, a single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) located in the ABCC11 gene" and that "there is a higher frequency of the A allele in east Asians, and therefore higher prevalence of the dry earwax type. In contrast, the wet earwax type is more prevalent in European and African populations because of higher frequencies of the G allele."

I don't know what you are trying to refute here. The result may not be what you want to hear (which is what upsets you) but that's just a fact.
The scientific articles do indeed say that East Asians have less number of axillary glands that are among the primary reasons of body odor. However, they are not the ONLY cause and most articles will say "less prone" or "fewer glands", not its complete absence.

I am of East Asian descent myself and I do have dry earwax. I don't use deodorant but I do shower everyday, sometimes even twice a day... No need to use deodorants just means that people do not stink (or do not stink that badly) till the next shower or cleaning. So I don't stink till the next 24 hours, so am fine not using deodorants... but to say that one does not stink even without showering for a week is an exaggeration. Again, East Asians have fewer apocrine glands so less oily sweat, but there's still sweat and other secretions. Even my clean towel which has nothing but clean tap water can stink if it is placed in a humid place above 30 degrees C (86 degrees F) without sufficient ventilation. No scientific articles needed, if one leaves a wet towel inside a bag after the gym or swimming, it will stink. What more for armpits with some sweat which are subject to 37 degrees C (98 degrees F)? Even clean tap water has the potential to stink in that environment, what more with sweat?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM

6,149 posts, read 3,947,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
So, what is the point of your post?
I would say that the OP's point is pretty obvious: he finds East Asians to be an interesting species (quoting from the title of the thread) and is offering examples to illustrate his points.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 AM

399 posts, read 596,140 times
Can someone post sources/links? This is interesting.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM

2,773 posts, read 1,166,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would say that the OP's point is pretty obvious: he finds East Asians to be an interesting species (quoting from the title of the thread) and is offering examples to illustrate his points.
Well, thanks for clearing that right up!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM

15,976 posts, read 36,940,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You know the important stuff white and black people can't live without,deodorant? It is hard to find them in a China or Korea. About 5% of Chinese have noticeable body odour, vs about 90% among Caucacians and 99% of blacks. In Chinese we call that "fox stink" because it is unusual and unpleasant while among other races it is common (unusual not to have it). This is why they take a shower in the MORNING. I can go without a show for a week and nobody will smell anything (not that it is something we should do).
Go without a shower for a week, and THINK you don't smell?

People smell you! That's one of the things I sometimes don't like about being in Macau, so close to China. A lot of people up there don't shower for days at a time sometimes. It's noticeable. Particularly among the more poorer uneducated Mainlander Chinese.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 AM

2,624 posts, read 6,340,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Peoples' bodies react differently to different types of food and diets, and that's the case across any and all ethnic groups.
That's one thing that can be said with any level of certainty for body odor in human beings.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 PM

919 posts, read 626,685 times
Quote:
That's interesting. In Japanese, that "underarm odor" is callled 腋臭 (wakiga). For non-Japanese people from the West, the term バター臭い ("batā kusai" or "smelling of butter") is used.
バター臭い is not used anymore. I don't think younger generation know the term.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:12 AM

2,624 posts, read 6,340,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
バター臭い is not used anymore. I don't think younger generation know the term.
I agree, バター臭い isn't used much in Japan anymore; however, it's still used by many 日系人 ("Nikkeijin" or "people of Japanese descent") in Hawaiʻi and the continental United States that speak Japanese. There are plenty of other differences between Japanese living in Japan and folks of Japanese ancestry living outside of Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or