U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times

Advertisements

I'm on the GZ metro now and the stank is quite heavy... a mix of musky BO and butt.

What's actually really funny is that about 10 minutes ago, a street vendor with his wares (pickled veggies and fermented tofu) on a little handcart got on and fouled it up bad. The two aunties beside me didn't see the vendor who was on my other side, wrinkled their noses, and said "that foreigner smells disgusting." I chuckled and said, "actually, it's that Chinese guy carrying Chinese food."

They were appropriately ashamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:56 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
I'm on the GZ metro now and the stank is quite heavy... a mix of musky BO and butt.

What's actually really funny is that about 10 minutes ago, a street vendor with his wares (pickled veggies and fermented tofu) on a little handcart got on and fouled it up bad. The two aunties beside me didn't see the vendor who was on my other side, wrinkled their noses, and said "that foreigner smells disgusting." I chuckled and said, "actually, it's that Chinese guy carrying Chinese food."

They were appropriately ashamed.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 AM

919 posts, read 602,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I agree, バター臭い isn't used much in Japan anymore; however, it's still used by many 日系人 ("Nikkeijin" or "people of Japanese descent") in Hawaiʻi and the continental United States that speak Japanese. There are plenty of other differences between Japanese living in Japan and folks of Japanese ancestry living outside of Japan.
Yes, I agree.

Another example for you then

Tempura is something like this in overall Japan:

Tempura in Taiwan looks like this:

I've found they call them Tempura in Taiwan because there used to be many people from Kyushu region and the people call them Tempura. We call them Satsumaage in standard Japanese.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,102,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Tempura in Taiwan looks like this:

I've found they call them Tempura in Taiwan because there used to be many people from Kyushu region and the people call them Tempura. We call them Satsumaage in standard Japanese.
We don't call that "tempura" in Taiwan. We call it 甜不辣. Yes, I know that 甜不辣 is a transliteration of tempura. But, we do not call real tempura 甜不辣. We call real tempura: 天婦羅

Taiwanese people know exactly what Japanese tempura is, and we have plenty of it in Taiwan.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 07-30-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
We don't call that "tempura" in Taiwan. We call it 甜不辣. Yes, I know that 甜不辣 is a transliteration of tempura. But, we do not call real tempura 甜不辣. We call real tempura: 天婦羅
Nothing wrong with you

You can check here.

Oden is called 黑輪 in Taiwan and 熬点 in mainland China BTW

Old 07-31-2015, 12:16 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,102,054 times
Or, I can just check anywhere here in Taiwan...

Old 07-31-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Or, I can just check anywhere here in Taiwan...
You can't check where the name came from though

Oh, I've just remembered another noun which is originally from Japanese but means differently in Taiwan.

BIG EGG(巨蛋) is a nick name exclusively for Tokyo dome stadium in Japan. However, it means dome stadium in general in Taiwan.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:38 PM

30 posts, read 22,324 times
I'd agree that East Asians are the superior race. The only "race" that makes more money per capita in the United States than white people? East Asians.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:43 PM

4,370 posts, read 1,811,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
I'd agree that East Asians are the superior race. The only "race" that makes more money per capita in the United States than white people? East Asians.
I wish I was east asian

Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,169,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
That's due to selective immigration laws. East Asians here illegally don't make 6 figure incomes, and I've never met these rich East Asians you describe. The Chinatowns in DC, Philly, north Jersey, and NYC also poke holes in your theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I wish I was east asian
Um...ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or