U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: US
645 posts, read 611,509 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

Naaa.. Probably blessed by it though!

I missed East part. But its ok. Most I dont know too many east Asians here to ask that can they digest milk. But i will try to ask them! Sort of a self survey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2015, 08:27 PM
 
7 posts, read 6,008 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Where did you get your stats? The thing about body odor is that persons who have it cannot smell it themselves. I would say that your 5% for Chinese and 90% for Caucasians do not exactly reflect my nose's experience. I would rather have someone who applies deodorant and/or showers daily sit next to me in a crowded train/bus rather than someone who thinks they have some kind of genetic advantage and has not showered for 3 days! I actually had the unpleasant experience of having to ask my close friend (ethnic Chinese) to stop writing his school paper for a few minutes and take a shower first, because we can smell him just by sitting next to him, for he has not showered in three days. That was the first and last time we noticed his body odor... so please, no one attempt one week without shower and assume no one can smell anything!
That Asians have less inherent body odor is a not a subjective assessment, but a scientific one. It is believed to be connected to the EDAR gene which is responsible for the thick, coarse hair and dry ear wax found in East Asians. While coarse hair and dry ear wax have no evolutionary advantage, less body odor does, particularly for people who had to live in tight quarters during the Ice Age 20,000 years ago (as did the single eyelid with its extra layer of fat to protect the eyes from harsh, freezing cold wind.) In practice however, body odor depends on more than genetics. Anyone who doesn't shower for a few days will begin to stink. Cuisine has influence as well since strong odors stick to hair and clothes and can cause bad breath, e.g. the Kimchi-smelling Korean. But this is still a separate issue from the amount of odoriferous chemicals the body naturally produces and is found in sweat. Where OP got his numbers from, I don't know. Probably, anecdotal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 11:03 AM
 
1,261 posts, read 2,085,563 times
Reputation: 1892
Interesting thread!

I see no one has mentioned the role external bacteria plays in body odor. It is quite significant.

I shower daily, but I stopped wearing deodorant six months ago out of concerns over the awful, harmful chemicals these products contain.

Instead, I use lavender essential oil, which has strong anti-bacterial properties. And I have zero underarm odor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Mount of Showing the Way
1,953 posts, read 2,071,335 times
Reputation: 615

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9DzCwkCQo


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxUrpUJycuU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashAcid View Post
That Asians have less inherent body odor is a not a subjective assessment, but a scientific one.
exactly, I simply presented some simple facts and people got all defensive or become offended, and say something like "anyone will stink if not showing for 10 days" - hello, that's not the point made here?

I never wear deodorant or any perfume, including today which is 33C. because there is no need and I am not smelly even after moderate perspiration. There is a genetic difference, and it is indisputable.

It is also a fact that Asian men tend to have less body muscle and Asian women have smaller breasts. These are all facts. Maybe those who resented the body odor difference will like these facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
112 posts, read 43,365 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
exactly, I simply presented some simple facts and people got all defensive or become offended, and say something like "anyone will stink if not showing for 10 days" - hello, that's not the point made here?

I never wear deodorant or any perfume, including today which is 33C. because there is no need and I am not smelly even after moderate perspiration. There is a genetic difference, and it is indisputable.

It is also a fact that Asian men tend to have less body muscle and Asian women have smaller breasts. These are all facts. Maybe those who resented the body odor difference will like these facts?
To be honest, and based on my personal experience, your assessment that East Asians have less body odor is totally false.

I had a group of male Chinese colleagues while I was living in the Netherlands and they really had a very strong smell. Even other people noticed that, they really smelled bad and didn't shower that often.

What is funny is that they too came to me with that story that Chinese don't need to use deodorant or take a shower as often as Westerners, because according to them, they naturally didn't smell. But almost everyone that stand close to them smelled their stench pretty clearly.

I think that myth is actually deluding East Asians in general. Don't believe the hype dude, you might not notice your stench and believe that you can't smell, but trust me, other people around you will smell it. Start showering and use deodorant, please.


Btw, your entire OP pretty much sounds like a pretentious diatribe. Borderline racist, to be frank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 736,143 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by robto View Post
To be honest, and based on my personal experience, your assessment that East Asians have less body odor is totally false.

I had a group of male Chinese colleagues while I was living in the Netherlands and they really had a very strong smell. Even other people noticed that, they really smelled bad and didn't shower that often.

What is funny is that they too came to me with that story that Chinese don't need to use deodorant or take a shower as often as Westerners, because according to them, they naturally didn't smell. But almost everyone that stand close to them smelled their stench pretty clearly.

I think that myth is actually deluding East Asians in general. Don't believe the hype dude, you might not notice your stench and believe that you can't smell, but trust me, other people around you will smell it. Start showering and use deodorant, please.


Btw, your entire OP pretty much sounds like a pretentious diatribe. Borderline racist, to be frank.
Poor hygiene certainly causes bad smell. But the topic is not about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 08:06 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,056 times
Reputation: 10
They all tend to be very shy and mysterious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Poor hygiene certainly causes bad smell. But the topic is not about that.
yes. That's the topic. I don't understand why some can't understand that. We are not taking about body odor from bad hygiene here. Of course everyone eventually stinks not not taking a shower for a long time.

Or they are simply trying the mix them deliberately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
112 posts, read 43,365 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yes. That's the topic. I don't understand why some can't understand that. We are not taking about body odor from bad hygiene here. Of course everyone eventually stinks not not taking a shower for a long time.

Or they are simply trying the mix them deliberately.
So what's your point all along?

Body odor cames from lack of hygiene, there's no other cause for it. If you don't shower, clean yourself or use deodorant as often you will smell irrespective of what race you are. There's no particular odor attached to a specific race. Your entire theory is flawed.

And there are other points that you made that are inaccurate as well:

- Mediterraneans, Australoids and Southern Africans also suffer higher incidences of lactose intolerance;

- Me and my entire family have dry ear wax, and I think I've never met anyone with "oily" or "wet" ear wax;

- There are a lot of Southern Europeans, Eastern Europeans and South Asians with straight hair. And seriously, I've seen some Southeast Asians with curly and even nappy hair.

One thing that makes East Asians apart from everyone else, IMO, is their relative lack of social skills, but of course, I'm grossly generalizing.

Last edited by robto; 08-19-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top