U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2015, 12:48 AM
 
931 posts, read 614,849 times
Reputation: 1488

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
That's true. Shanghainese are more open to foreigners than to Chinese people from other places, who are called nga ti ning (外地人) by Shanghainese.
I live in Shanghai, and the Shanghainese are super arrogant towards everyone. Foreigners too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Reputation: 11310
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I live in Shanghai, and the Shanghainese are super arrogant towards everyone. Foreigners too.
Shanghai is more or less China's NYC - (arguably) its most well-known, most cosmopolitan, most expensive, most important city. Many people from both places automatically assume that they do everything better than everyone else; that there's basically nothing more to be learned or gained from any other city or place within the country. Once you've been to NYC, you may as well stop checking out the US - once you've been to Shanghai, you may as well stop checking out China.

In the rest of China, Shanghai was admired for its status as the glittering crown jewel of China's meteoric rise to wealth and prominence on the international stage. That sheen has worn off a bit in the last few years, and the Shanghainese tuhao has become a national punchline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 07:26 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Shanghai is more or less China's NYC - (arguably) its most well-known, most cosmopolitan, most expensive, most important city. Many people from both places automatically assume that they do everything better than everyone else; that there's basically nothing more to be learned or gained from any other city or place within the country. Once you've been to NYC, you may as well stop checking out the US - once you've been to Shanghai, you may as well stop checking out China.

In the rest of China, Shanghai was admired for its status as the glittering crown jewel of China's meteoric rise to wealth and prominence on the international stage. That sheen has worn off a bit in the last few years, and the Shanghainese tuhao has become a national punchline.
Shanghai is big and important and stuff but hardly the most expensive or one with highest salary or GDP per capita.

Many Shanghainese are arrogant out of pure ignorance. Some old ladies believe people in other cities don't have nice condos, AC, or all the interesting restaurants and shops. Life NYC, life quality in shanghai is not that great for most people but they still pretend all the nice things have anything to do with their personal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 AM
 
931 posts, read 614,849 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Shanghai is big and important and stuff but hardly the most expensive or one with highest salary or GDP per capita.

Many Shanghainese are arrogant out of pure ignorance. Some old ladies believe people in other cities don't have nice condos, AC, or all the interesting restaurants and shops. Life NYC, life quality in shanghai is not that great for most people but they still pretend all the nice things have anything to do with their personal life.
NYC Moderator cut: language it is a terrible place to live.

Shanghai is pretty convenient, everything happens in Shanghai. I had a distant cousin fly all the way from Harbin just to attend a soccer game.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-11-2015 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
NYC , it is a terrible place to live.

Shanghai is pretty convenient, everything happens in Shanghai. I had a distant cousin fly all the way from Harbin just to attend a soccer game.
if you live in Shanghai you will realize life there is not so different from NYC. I am surprised you think so low of NYC yet seem to have a positive view about life in Shanghai. NYC is pretty convenience, and everything happens there too.

I lived in Shanghai for 10 years and my family still lives there. I visit them a couple of weeks each year and that's it. I don't hate it but it is hard for me to imagine living there again on a long term basis. It is super convenient with tons of things to do, yes, but the day to day stress is also immense. The one condition under which I would consider living in Shanghai (or NYC) is that I have to be able to walk to work. All the congested subway rides every single day will make life quality plummet.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-11-2015 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Reputation: 11310
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
if you live in Shanghai you will realize life there is not so different from NYC. I am surprised you think so low of NYC yet seem to have a positive view about life in Shanghai. NYC is pretty convenience, and everything happens there too.
Funny, I could have sworn that not too long ago, you were saying that NYC, London, etc were inferior to Shanghai and lacked its amenities and convenience...

Quote:
I lived in Shanghai for 10 years and my family still lives there. I visit them a couple of weeks each year and that's it. I don't hate it but it is hard for me to imagine living there again on a long term basis. It is super convenient with tons of things to do, yes, but the day to day stress is also immense. The one condition under which I would consider living in Shanghai (or NYC) is that I have to be able to walk to work. All the congested subway rides every single day will make life quality plummet.
Non-urban dwellers usually only get into the cities for either vacation or for a specific purpose, and both can be stressful by default. I remember when I was a kid, during the times we lived outside the city, I never understood why my parents hated going in so much because it was fun. then I got older and realized how great it is to get stuck in traffic, navigate one-way streets, find parking, pay for parking, etc, all with kids in tow。 of course, for people who live in the city, it's not as big a deal because they are accustomed to it and that's how their lives work.

I enjoy the convenience of the metro quite a bit, but I also enjoy driving. sometimes I simply don't want to stand there, sandwiched among people with varying degrees of hygiene, most of whom are staring at me because I'm the only one on the train who doesn't have black hair and brown eyes. Unfortunately my fiance is in "honeeeeeey, we need to save for our baobao!" and "every RMB is important, we need to save every yuan!" mode so even though I have enough money for a car, she doesn't want us to get one... a shame because sometimes, it's actually quite nice to sit in your own car, listen to your own music, bask in the AC (or heat), and stop at your own destinations.

It's also important to note that Japan has an immense car culture and tuning scene that is especially big outside of Tokyo. People who live outside of Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, etc are just as apt to drive as an American suburbanite. Same goes for China, for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2015, 12:27 AM
 
931 posts, read 614,849 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
if you live in Shanghai you will realize life there is not so different from NYC. I am surprised you think so low of NYC yet seem to have a positive view about life in Shanghai. NYC is pretty convenience, and everything happens there too.

I lived in Shanghai for 10 years and my family still lives there. I visit them a couple of weeks each year and that's it. I don't hate it but it is hard for me to imagine living there again on a long term basis. It is super convenient with tons of things to do, yes, but the day to day stress is also immense. The one condition under which I would consider living in Shanghai (or NYC) is that I have to be able to walk to work. All the congested subway rides every single day will make life quality plummet.
NYC has very high crime, Shanghai doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2015, 09:16 PM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I live in Shanghai, and the Shanghainese are super arrogant towards everyone. Foreigners too.
Not towards me. Have you learned basic Shanghainese yet? I think it helps a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2015, 09:25 PM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is super convenient with tons of things to do, yes, but the day to day stress is also immense. The one condition under which I would consider living in Shanghai (or NYC) is that I have to be able to walk to work.
I don't want to take a walk in Shanghai at all. Too many people, spit and garbage. And the mess are responsible for outsiders including your family members, according to Shanghainese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's also important to note that Japan has an immense car culture and tuning scene that is especially big outside of Tokyo.
That includes 痛車

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top