U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2015, 03:34 AM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,627,252 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

While Chinese political rhetorics may be scathing against Japan's wartime atrocities and lack of proper atonement, wealthy Chinese tourists, especially from Shanghai, love to visit and spend money there. This is why I always take Chinese rhetorics with a grain of salt. The Chinese have always been pragmatic, which is a good and bad thing. The good is that they are predictable and rational in their geopolitical calculations. The bad is that their nationalism is only skin deep, and easily bought off with economic advantages, either real or perceived.


How Shanghai Is Driving Surge in Chinese Tourists to Japan - Bloomberg Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 737,679 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
While Chinese political rhetorics may be scathing against Japan's wartime atrocities and lack of proper atonement, wealthy Chinese tourists, especially from Shanghai, love to visit and spend money there. This is why I always take Chinese rhetorics with a grain of salt. The Chinese have always been pragmatic, which is a good and bad thing. The good is that they are predictable and rational in their geopolitical calculations. The bad is that their nationalism is only skin deep, and easily bought off with economic advantages, either real or perceived.


How Shanghai Is Driving Surge in Chinese Tourists to Japan - Bloomberg Business
Chinese are much less nationalist than Koreans and Japanese in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM
 
17,323 posts, read 10,250,800 times
Reputation: 28868
Money always talks.

I think it's cool to see tourism increase from China and South Korea to Japan.

These people themselves can see for themselves whether to believe the demagoguery and falsehoods their governments perpetuate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,209,382 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
While Chinese political rhetorics may be scathing against Japan's wartime atrocities and lack of proper atonement, wealthy Chinese tourists, especially from Shanghai, love to visit and spend money there. This is why I always take Chinese rhetorics with a grain of salt. The Chinese have always been pragmatic, which is a good and bad thing. The good is that they are predictable and rational in their geopolitical calculations. The bad is that their nationalism is only skin deep, and easily bought off with economic advantages, either real or perceived.


How Shanghai Is Driving Surge in Chinese Tourists to Japan - Bloomberg Business
The majority of Chinese that I know are in their 20s and 30s, and 99% don't give a **** what Japan did 70 odd years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,627,252 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Money always talks.

I think it's cool to see tourism increase from China and South Korea to Japan.

These people themselves can see for themselves whether to believe the demagoguery and falsehoods their governments perpetuate.
Actually, the end of the article with a quote specifically stated that the Chinese people did not hold a grudge against the Japanese people, it is their government's attitude toward history between the two country that is the problem. It seems you have your own brainwashed negative attitude toward the CHN government to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 08:45 PM
 
6,270 posts, read 6,398,332 times
Reputation: 2873
When China buys more advance weaponry from Russia, and the rulers, need something to give their country to do, and all the stars line up in the right place, they may invade Japan, suddenly remember what happened, and do it back to them the same.

Of course it is possible. Actually I dont see why it is not inevitable. We humans by nature war with each other. We feel a need to dominate each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7586
Japan is popular because it is close.
Yes most Chinese don't hate the Japanese people, but have little respect for their government. Japan is considered a castrated country by most Chinese so visiting it really doesn't mean much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 PM
 
919 posts, read 604,679 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Chinese are much less nationalist than Koreans and Japanese in nature.
While Chinese people don't care about their nation, but they do care about their ethnicity.

While Japanese people don't care about their ethnicity like Chinese, but they do care about where you were born and raised.


An ABC, American-born Chinese, is respected and popular in China if he/she is famous in the USA. Michael Chang, a tennis player, has just come into my mind.

There was a president in Peru or somewhere, who was a Japanese ethnically. He got almost no reputation in Japan. If he was a Chinese, he would have been a hero in China. I feel sorry for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 737,679 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
While Chinese people don't care about their nation, but they do care about their ethnicity.

While Japanese people don't care about their ethnicity like Chinese, but they do care about where you were born and raised.


An ABC, American-born Chinese, is respected and popular in China if he/she is famous in the USA. Michael Chang, a tennis player, has just come into my mind.

There was a president in Peru or somewhere, who was a Japanese ethnically. He got almost no reputation in Japan. If he was a Chinese, he would have been a hero in China. I feel sorry for him.
I think it is partly because overseas Chinese communities tend to retain their identity, but overseas Japanese communities are more likely to integrate with locals. Michael Chang is very Americanized, but he still has a Chinese name 张德培 and it is used in Chinese media. These people usually like to emphasize their tie with China/Taiwan/Hong Kong too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 07:36 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I think it is partly because overseas Chinese communities tend to retain their identity, but overseas Japanese communities are more likely to integrate with locals. Michael Chang is very Americanized, but he still has a Chinese name 张德培 and it is used in Chinese media. These people usually like to emphasize their tie with China/Taiwan/Hong Kong too.
I can't disagree more.

Of course the Chinese still preserve their heritage - it is something they are proud of so it will be stupid not to, to be "just an American", plus in the eyes of Americans, Chinese Americans will always be Chinese Americans and never just Americans.

However, the overseas Japanese integrate even less than the Chinese. Michael Chang at least has an American name, so do most Chinese Americans. I'd say most Japanese Americans don't even bother selecting a Japanese name. I have seen plenty of them. I used to work with the East Asian language and culture department of an American university. 95% of the Chinese lecturers/professors have their English name, while most Japanese simply use their Japanese name in daily life.

The Chinese definitely make more effort to "integrate" or to be more "Americanized" than the Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top