U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times

Advertisements

Lifestyle is about more than "stuff," which is what most posts seem fixated upon. Japanese lifestyles are going to reflect to one extent or another the history and cultural development of the country. And these values and nuances in daily life would be harder to understand and accept, I'm sure, than perceived problems regarding "stuff."

Old 08-10-2015, 08:38 AM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times
I can only speak for myself but having lived in both countries - no, I don't envy the Japanese lifestyle. I enjoyed my time there but was glad to get back to my American life.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,734 times
For someone who just lived in the US for 6 months and been to Japan twice this year for work assignment, I would prefer living in the US. Though I have only been to a 2nd tier city in Japan, I feel like Japan is a very congested country, small roads, lots of decaying buildings. I still love Japan in general esp the food and the people, but totally incomparable to US by any stretch of comparison.

American living is still being envied. The big houses, the big cars, wide roads, lots of nature, more high-tech and its cheaper here.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,080,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
And an emphasis on community is to be admonished?

As an American I, if anything, envy the sense of community and shared responsibility that some societies possess.

What kind of path are we on that community is to be disparaged?
I am not saying that is not a good thing but Americans are wired to be individualistic people.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM

17,256 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Above all else, Americans care about having a high standard of living for themselves and their families. And very few Americans think that Japan has a higher standard of living than the U.S.

Having said that, a lot of Americans do like Japanese cars, tech products and the idea of high-speed rail. I drive a Lexus myself. I also think America has a lot to learn from Japan (and other countries) about efficient public transportation. Japanese cities have a very low crime rate by American standards and that would certainly be enviable to most Americans as well.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-10-2015 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 11:03 AM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
For someone who just lived in the US for 6 months and been to Japan twice this year for work assignment, I would prefer living in the US. Though I have only been to a 2nd tier city in Japan, I feel like Japan is a very congested country, small roads, lots of decaying buildings. I still love Japan in general esp the food and the people, but totally incomparable to US by any stretch of comparison.

American living is still being envied. The big houses, the big cars, wide roads, lots of nature, more high-tech and its cheaper here.
It's a little difficult to have a real "urban life" in the US. Only a few cities (such as NYC) have a lot of middle class people in the city. Other cities are often too boring or too dangerous at night.

In Asian cities, the vast majority of people live in apartments and can find restaurants just downstairs, and markets several blocks away. After dinner, neighbors walk in city parks/squares to chat and let the kids play together.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,815,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It's a little difficult to have a real "urban life" in the US. Only a few cities (such as NYC) have a lot of middle class people in the city. Other cities are often too boring or too dangerous at night.

In Asian cities, the vast majority of people live in apartments and can find restaurants just downstairs, and markets several blocks away. After dinner, neighbors walk in city parks/squares to chat and let the kids play together.
I would much prefer an urban lifestyle than a suburban one.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,180,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I would much prefer an urban lifestyle than a suburban one.
Outside of the West Coast and NYC, the rest of the world has a far better urban lifestyle than the US. Only the US and Australia are such exceptions to the rule. Have you been to Spain? Talk about the best urban living has to offer. Awesome, walkable cities and weather to go along with it, food that is to die for, a rich maritime tradition, plazas with water fountains and cafes. There's a lot more to the world than anime, just like I tell provincial minded Americans that there's a whole world outside of the US.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:19 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,815,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Outside of the West Coast and NYC, the rest of the world has a far better urban lifestyle than the US. Only the US and Australia are such exceptions to the rule. Have you been to Spain? Talk about the best urban living has to offer. Awesome, walkable cities and weather to go along with it, food that is to die for, a rich maritime tradition, plazas with water fountains and cafes. There's a lot more to the world than anime, just like I tell provincial minded Americans that there's a whole world outside of the US.
I have been to the UK and France multiple times would love to visit Spain sometime in the future. With Japan I have spent to much time learning the language to just not go there not to mention I think it will be awesome to live there maybe not for the rest of my life but for at least five years.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Above all else, Americans care about having a high standard of living for themselves and their families. And very few Americans think that Japan has a higher standard of living than the U.S.

but the American definition of high standard of living is nothing but just a large house in the middle of nowhere. Is that really "high standard" living when you need to drive 10-30 minutes to do everything, including trivial things like catch a movie or buy some cigarettes?

Do the 17 year old kids think it is a high standard of living when they are so far from everything and doing any fun involved a car ride from the parents? How do they meet their friends? taking the bus which comes on the hour?

The so called high standard of living is mostly associated with big houses with all the unnecessary space one think he needs just because everyone else does. It is not that high after all.

In Japan, people may live in small apartments, but you can't call that life not high standard when everything is at your doorstep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia