U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:16 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
So that means they have a better work ethic than most americans. I envy there superior work ethic.
They don't work more efficiently. And they envy the American way of work.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:26 PM

4,364 posts, read 1,809,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
They don't work more efficiently. And they envy the American way of work.
Why would they envy decadent western imperialists?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
I think some Westerners 'envy' (more like have huge admiration for) Japanese pop culture and culture, but not necessarily the lifestyle. The reputation for being overworked, and as of seemingly recent, under-sexed doesn't play so well with a lot of people.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Huh?

I know many Japanese people. They do envy American culture wrt work hours and the clear split between company time and personal time. They envy the Europeans even moreso, in this regard.

Anyone who pays even casual attention to Japanese media will know that the Japanese don't work long hours and sacrifice family time because they like to do so.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Quote:
Hm, decadent western imperialists. The Nanjing Massacre was just made up by Chinese Nationalists and the Chinese Communist Party. The colonization of Korea is also all lies, Japan never set up a puppet state called Manchukuo, and never colonized such a huge chunk of East Asia that they built one of the largest imperialist empires in human history that was bigger than the Roman Empire, and never tried to forcibly eradicate all indigenous cultures that it colonized. It's evil white people (such as yourself) that did all the bad bad things.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you think urban area means walkable areas? Really?

The entire Los Angeles, Atlanta or Houston metro areas are urban, how much of them are walkable? I used to live at Palms area in west LA, and there is nothing walkable about it. Going to the nearest grocery store is a 10-15 minutes drive.

Even 10% probably is a vast overestimation.
that's a pretty gross exaggeration, I used to live in Venice and had friends in eastern Palms and it was a 10-15 minute drive in traffic from the beach to there. I think you could walk to the Ralph's, Rite Aid, Whole Foods, or CVS on Lincoln from most parts of Palms within 10 to 15 minutes; my old jogging route was from Indiana and Abbot Kinney to Palms so I'm pretty familiar with it. If I ever drove from my apartment to the Ralph's, which was about equidistant from Palms, it was only maybe 3 minutes.

If you drove in 10 minutes in any direction from any part of Palms, you'd pass by at least a dozen grocery stores, plenty of convenience stores, and at least a few boulevards lined with shops and restaurants of all sorts.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:59 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Huh?

I know many Japanese people. They do envy American culture wrt work hours and the clear split between company time and personal time. They envy the Europeans even moreso, in this regard.

Anyone who pays even casual attention to Japanese media will know that the Japanese don't work long hours and sacrifice family time because they like to do so.
Not a single one of my Japanese friends that have lived in the US want to stay in Japan. They ALL want to come back to the US in one way or another. The OP is also a white male that has a nice financial background from the sound of his posting history. In other words, he's a white man who's used to living with "white privilege" who doesn't know what it's like to live as a minority in a different society. It's not a possible thought to think that he's also under the impression that his Anglo genes is automatically going to make him some kind of celebrity that all the girls will fall in love with and the men wish they can be. Of course there are women in Japan that desperately want a white foreign boyfriend/husband, but those are usually the ones that want to escape Japan, not stay. Considering also his pretty young age, and the tone of naivety in his posts, I think he's going to be in real shock when he sees what Japan is really like. I want to visit Japan too, and I will next year to see my best friend again, but life in Japan is hard if you want to live a Japanese lifestyle and not life as an ALT with temporary status . Just like I did when I moved to the US initially, he will face discrimination and racism just like I did. I got the "you may be mostly white, but you'll never be one of us" kind of racism all my life in the US, and that is very common in Japan. Anyway, that's my rant. But, I do forgive the OP for he is in his early 20s, it's to be expected, and I'm almost 30. Being an anime enthusiast myself, I've known plenty of young guys that dream of going to Japan, only to come back 1-2 years later with their visions totally shattered and they all ended up staying in the US after all, oh and single.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not a single one of my Japanese friends that have lived in the US want to stay in Japan. They ALL want to come back to the US in one way or another. The OP is also a white male that has a nice financial background from the sound of his posting history. In other words, he's a white man who's used to living with "white privilege" who doesn't know what it's like to live as a minority in a different society. It's not a possible thought to think that he's also under the impression that his Anglo genes is automatically going to make him some kind of celebrity that all the girls will fall in love with and the men wish they can be. Of course there are women in Japan that desperately want a white foreign boyfriend/husband, but those are usually the ones that want to escape Japan, not stay. Considering also his pretty young age, and the tone of naivety in his posts, I think he's going to be in real shock when he sees what Japan is really like. I want to visit Japan too, and I will next year to see my best friend again, but life in Japan is hard if you want to live a Japanese lifestyle and not life as an ALT with temporary status . Just like I did when I moved to the US initially, he will face discrimination and racism just like I did. I got the "you may be mostly white, but you'll never be one of us" kind of racism all my life in the US, and that is very common in Japan. Anyway, that's my rant. But, I do forgive the OP for he is in his early 20s, it's to be expected, and I'm almost 30. Being an anime enthusiast myself, I've known plenty of young guys that dream of going to Japan, only to come back 1-2 years later with their visions totally shattered and they all ended up staying in the US after all, oh and single.
This is the malaise that hits a lot of the Japanophiles who end up moving there.

The stories you hear about Americans getting "rock star" status in Japan are about 15-40 years stale. There are tons of personal anecdotes about this, and growing up in a military family, I heard plenty, but most of the people that I know who go to Japan now report having been treated in a fairly normal and innocuous fashion most of the time... certainly, no one is particularly amazed or honored at your presence, or working their butt off to get your attention or appease you.

The girls that go exclusively for white (or black, or any other foreign group of) guys, or the guys who go after girls, are often no different from domestic white (black, etc) people who go exclusively after Asians... meaning specifically, they probably have more of a fetish than an understanding or respect for the culture and people. Additionally, in Japan, China, Korea, etc, it means that there is a good enough chance that they've, uh, "been around the block a few times."

Typical story is: young girl falls in love with foreign guy; tells all her family and friends that she's in love with him and they will get married; guy is creeped out by girl's affections/isn't interested in long term relationship/didn't plan to stay in the country long anyways; goes back home and leaves girl behind; girl is not only heartbroken, but since she made it public, she's now "damaged goods" in many peoples' eyes; girl can't get ahold of a good local guy even if she wants to; girl spends the next 3-10 years trying to snare a decent foreign guy who either plans to and has the means to stay there, or will take her back to his home country.

The women who do seriously want to be with and appreciate Western or white guys will likely face some degree of pushback from their family and from their society as a whole, as their cultures are homogeneous and interracial or intercultural relationships are seen of as a novelty at best, and a social crime at worst. This has led to tons and tons of heartache and sad endings for many interracial couples in Asia.

Even if you are one of the very few foreigners who move to Japan, learn fluent Japanese, integrate fully into Japanese culture and society, marry and obtain permanent residency or even citizenship, start a family that is almost totally culturally Japanese, and begin to identify more with Japanese culture than your native culture personally, you will always be a foreigner. I'd already spent most of my childhood and adult years living in largely black, latino, or Asian areas where I was the minority as a white person and didn't feel all that shocked when I moved to China, but others, do. Even Western minorities who are used to minority status at home often experience a huge shock at the level and openness of discrimination they receive when they arrive in their new home.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
So that means they have a better work ethic than most americans. I envy there superior work ethic.

After reading statements like this, I think that more than anything else, you need to get yourself out of the country to put things in perspective, because these are very naive and narrow-minded things to say. Japan also has an imperialist past, as others have pointed out. Do you think that the Japanese aren't decadent enough on their own? Do you know anything about their consumerist culture or their mastery of cultural appropriation?

"Work ethic" is more complex than simply hours worked; beyond that, Japan's work culture is responsible in large part for its suicide rate, which is drastically higher than in the US:

Quote:
A contributing factor to the suicide statistics among those who were employed was the increasing pressure of retaining jobs by putting in more hours of overtime and taking fewer holidays and sick days. According to government figures, "fatigue from work" and health problems, including work-related depression, were prime motives for suicides, adversely affecting the social wellbeing of salarymen and accounting for 47 percent of the suicides in 2008.[19][20] Out of 2,207 work-related suicides in 2007, the most common reason (672 suicides) was overwork.[
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicid..._with_business

They even have a word, karoshi, literally "death from overwork," which describes death as a result of Japan's work culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi

It's also a prime reason for Japan's falling marriage and birth rates; long hours result in less time for family, or to form relationships.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Do you think that the Japanese aren't decadent enough on their own?
He needs to take a trip to see the debauchery of Kabukicho in Shinjuku! The Japanese are masters of decadence and debauchery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia