U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
No official apology from the US government though which is what people mean. But you probably knew that but ignored it. Again, where is the apology from the US government for Agent Orange (the effects of which are far worse than the nearly non existent radiation poisoning of the Atomic Bombs) or the concentration camps in the Philippines? Where is the apology to Iran over the coup against Mohammad Mosaddegh? Why did Clinton refuse to apologize to South Korea (an ally) when they demanded an apology for No-Gun Ri? Again, the US isn't really all that different from Japan or China when it comes to things like this. Well, the US did apologize to Guatemala for its STD experiments of course that is after 64 years after most of the victims already died freeing the US from offering compensation.

Clinton 'Regrets,' Doesn't Apologize for, No Gun Ri - latimes

US scientists 'knew Guatemala syphilis tests unethical' - BBC News
This is what US government loves to do

George W. Bush Apologizes for Iraq War - The Daily Currant - The Daily Currant

yeah, we are focusing on protecting Americans, so it is justified to invade a foreign country outright and kill hundreds of thousands of civilians, for what? Nothing. 10 years later, a sorry makes it all OK? Plenty of war criminals were sent to prison, why should not Bush be punished? You can't start a wrong war and just say "oops, that was a mistake, we overacted".

Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is one of the big misunderstandings, though. Our parents' opinions do matter, and if we are in disagreement, it often leads to lots and lots and lots of soul-searching, and usually lots of very deep conversations with our parents. These conversations often result in our parents deciding and saying, "it may not be the decision that I would make for you, but I understand that you must make the right decision for yourself," or something to that effect; a family here them proves their love by supporting their child through this decision. Many Westerners, even after coming to an agreement with their parents and getting positive results from their choice, will remember the instance for the rest of their life.

You aren't the first Chinese person I've seen say this, and it always strikes me as funny, because every time I get on the metro or a bus, I am always saddened by the fact that you will see an able-bodied teenage or early-20's guy sitting there while a woman in her 70's is standing. If anyone gets up for her, it's usually another, slightly-younger old person. Foreigners in China are usually quite shocked by it, and you will almost never see a foreigner sitting down on a busy train, because most of us have been socialized to not sit down unless all the old, disabled, or pregnant on the carriage are sitting down. It starts when we are little kids and told that we should get up for old ladies; in China, little kids generally get priority to sit, even though they'd rather be standing and moving around.

It's a literal 100% polar reversal of reality.

I remember reading a discussion on this phenomenon ("in China, people will always rush to the aid of someone who has fallen and hurt themselves - in the US/UK/EU, they just walk by like nothing happened!" <--- in the face of the thousands of viral stories, videos, and other well-known and documented instances of gravely-injured people in China being ignored by passersby), and I've heard that it's attributed, most often subconsciously, to Chinese people wanting to "save face" with the rest of the world. Some Chinese people in China, talking to other Chinese people, will lament this to one another as an example of China's social growing pains, but they will rarely voice this opinion publicly to foreigners.

People just get very caught up in the "it's not my problem, I shouldn't get involved, it will create more drama for me" attitude. It's the same as the situation with ambulances here. Last night, my fiance and I were walking back from dinner and an ambulance came by in traffic. It took about two minutes to get about 200 meters through the intersection, because only maybe one car out of every 10 made an effort to get out of its way. In the West, this is almost unthinkable, even in heavy traffic areas like LA or NY.
Oh my parents repeatedly told me that young Americans do not give up seats to them. Not that it matters much, but it is the contrast they observed. In my hometown they usually get a seat from other passengers.
If you live in Shanghai or Guangzhou, giving up seats may be less common because people in big cities tend to ignore others. However the same theory applies to NYC. New Yorkers are known be to cold too.

It is true that Chinese people usually do not want to be involved in some accidental events. But that is another topic.

If you watch American TV episodes (Lifetime for example), many stories are about how mother feels jealous because her daughter gets a good husband and so on. Although it does not represent the reality, it more or less reveals what Americans like to watch. Such stories will not be popular in China because nobody wants to see this happening.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 PM

43 posts, read 43,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not westerners but more like Germanic/Anglo Saxon. For them taking care of old parents is if very low priority. Many hardly talk to them not to mention visit with gifts as often as they can.

Italians Greeks have similar family culture as Asians.

ah yes it drives me crazy....when germanic people say westerners as germanic or americans say westerners as americans....they think they are the representative of west....even they say we westerners as if west is only them germanic or americans....we westerners have this bad thing but that's only germanic people who have that bad thing not great hellas or latin europeans....I have even seen english girl said my culture to french foods and she equalizes her poor english foods to great french foods in summarizing as western food...what kind of complex these arrogant germanic people have in mind?!? germanic historical scholars even have been stealing and fabricating greek and roman history as to sound like as if it's there history in the name of vague 'western civillization' since miedival period. now I see germanic people think that music and food Greek and Middle Easterner have in common because middle easterner learned from greeks, come from middle east to greece because germanic don't have it common with greek people and they think they are the only one who is affected by greek civillization when germanic people infact learned greek cultures from arabs, and think ancient greeks have same root with germanic.....And they absurditly assume that ancient greeks were them who in reality greeks see as exotic looking northern barbarians and ancient greek culture must have been similar to germanic culture which greeks see as cultureless barbarians...and when greeks literally have nothing at all to do in history with germanic/slavic barbarians...

Last edited by good3352; 08-20-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 02:41 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,112 times
Quote:

yeah, we are focusing on protecting Americans, so it is justified to invade a foreign country outright and kill hundreds of thousands of civilians, for what? Nothing. 10 years later, a sorry makes it all OK? Plenty of war criminals were sent to prison, why should not Bush be punished? You can't start a wrong war and just say "oops, that was a mistake, we overacted".
I'm curious as to why you have shifted the attention from China and Japan back to the United States?

You said George Bush is a war criminal. True, and there are many many Americans who openly criticize U.S. government atrocities during the Iraq War and are taking the government to court as well speak.

But this thread is about China and Japan: what has the current Chinese administration done to reflect on its own past? You speak of war memorials, monuments, and museums in Germany. Has the Chinese government ever dedicated a memorial to the 43 million killed in the 3 years after Great Leap Forward? I visited the National Museum of China in Beijing back in July - in 2.2 million square footage of exhibits, not a single mention of the tens of thousands murdered during the Cultural Revolution. It's almost as if these people never existed in Chinese history.

China likes to talk about historical repentance - I don't see a single shred of genuine repentance when the "Great Helmsman"s body still lies in the center of Tiananmen Square, and his portrait still adorns the entrance to Forbidden City.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:01 PM

900 posts, read 631,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I'm curious as to why you have shifted the attention from China and Japan back to the United States?

You said George Bush is a war criminal. True, and there are many many Americans who openly criticize U.S. government atrocities during the Iraq War and are taking the government to court as well speak.

But this thread is about China and Japan: what has the current Chinese administration done to reflect on its own past? You speak of war memorials, monuments, and museums in Germany. Has the Chinese government ever dedicated a memorial to the 43 million killed in the 3 years after Great Leap Forward? I visited the National Museum of China in Beijing back in July - in 2.2 million square footage of exhibits, not a single mention of the tens of thousands murdered during the Cultural Revolution. It's almost as if these people never existed in Chinese history.

China likes to talk about historical repentance - I don't see a single shred of genuine repentance when the "Great Helmsman"s body still lies in the center of Tiananmen Square, and his portrait still adorns the entrance to Forbidden City.
To be fair, this thread is about Japan, and the fact that it does not apologize to China and South Korea (and to a lesser extend, to North Korea) for the atrocities committed during but also before WW2 (when they have colonized those countries).

Old 08-20-2015, 08:57 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
"East Germany's first freely elected Parliament admits joint responsibility on behalf of the people for the humiliation, expulsion and murder of Jewish women, men and children".

"We feel sad and ashamed, we ask the Jews of the world to forgive us."

"We ask the people of Israel to forgive us for hypocrisy and hostility of official East German policies toward Israel and for the persecution and degradation of Jewish citizens also after 1945 in our country."
So they apologize only for what they did to Jews, not for the war itself.

You've proved me correct. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Are you kidding?

You don't think Americans have criticized US involvement in Vietnam and Iraq?

You obviously have not been paying attention.
Are you kidding?

You don't think Japanese have criticized Japan involvement in WWI and WWII?

You obviously have not been paying attention.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

Someone here on CD says: "Hey, we are criticizing our government. Don't you see that?"

Well, people who were killed by the US can't see that.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
To be fair, this thread is about Japan, and the fact that it does not apologize to China and South Korea (and to a lesser extend, to North Korea) for the atrocities committed during but also before WW2 (when they have colonized those countries).
Moderator cut: -

Please read List of war apology statements issued by Japan introduced by 415_s2k.

Japan doesn't ask China for what they did to Japan, but Japan has apologized many times for what they did to China.

China asks Japan for what they did to China, but China has never apologized for what they did to Japan.

This is fair to your eyes?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-20-2015 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Against TOS

Old 08-20-2015, 09:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,814,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

And where are the monuments to the victims of the concentration camps in the Philippines? What about all the victims of those burned villages in the Philippines or do atrocities against Filipinos only count when the Japanese do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or