U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Reputation: 11309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
And where are the monuments to the victims of the concentration camps in the Philippines? What about all the victims of those burned villages in the Philippines or do atrocities against Filipinos only count when the Japanese do it?
isn't there another thread specifically about this, where it would actually have some relevance?

 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
901 posts, read 631,665 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Sorry but I have to call you a liar

Please read List of war apology statements issued by Japan introduced by 415_s2k.

Japan doesn't ask China for what they did to Japan, but Japan has apologized many times for what they did to China.

China asks Japan for what they did to China, but China has never apologized for what they did to Japan.

This is fair to your eyes?
You keep bringing China in. As I said, the countries who have a problem with Japan's way of dealing this issue are China and Korea, not just China.

Let those countries have their own share of blame if they did not apologize and they should have had. Japan should never question the fact that they were wrong to do such barbarian acts to other human beings. The fact that this is not crystal clear in the mind of the current conservative party alone is an issue worth dealing with. Obviously citizens also do not really care about this subject because if they did, this political party would never dare raise such an opinion and risk all their political capital.

But back to reality check, the way it works is usually the following: there are common war facts, and those that are stated as crime against humanity. What Japan did was classified as crime against humanity, with some class A war criminals. And therefore, it would be good that the country and the citizens admit it and do their best to show that this will never happen again.

Again, those countries are not perfect, but not one single country among the winners in the West was perfect. Still, Germany went above and beyond what was required and compensated heavily in order to earn back the trust.

Obviously, despite the whole list of apologies you keep bringing back, China and Korea do not feel satisfied. Do we agree that in a communication matter, how the interlocutor perceives your message does matter actually? It's one of the reason why people try to be careful with the words, right? And it's also a good reason to try to stop denying the existence of some historical facts, just to get more election voices. I mean, what's the apology worth if the next political representative just denies it?
 
Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Reputation: 33512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Article on CNN:

Shinzo Abe: 'Grief' for WWII, but no new Japan apology - CNN.com



I'm interested to see how China reacts to this. I ran it by my fiance and she wasn't happy, but she also wasn't aware that Japan had ever apologized for its actions... for those who aren't aware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ssued_by_Japan
I always thought Japan's apologies lacked sincerity, kind of like this...


 
Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Asia
2,761 posts, read 1,103,068 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
No official apology from the US government though which is what people mean. But you probably knew that but ignored it.
No. I post in good faith and expect to be taken at my word.

I did not ignore anything. I merely confused this thread with another in which we were discussing whether people/media/educational institutions/entertainment industry/artists are critical of their own nation's political behavior.
 
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 AM
 
919 posts, read 603,270 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
You keep bringing China in. As I said, the countries who have a problem with Japan's way of dealing this issue are China and Korea, not just China.
Yes, only China and Korea. Other countries invaded by Japan have no problems with Japan.

Many surveys show Japan is one of the most popular countries on this planet. Only China and Korea can't deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Let those countries have their own share of blame if they did not apologize and they should have had. Japan should never question the fact that they were wrong to do such barbarian acts to other human beings. The fact that this is not crystal clear in the mind of the current conservative party alone is an issue worth dealing with. Obviously citizens also do not really care about this subject because if they did, this political party would never dare raise such an opinion and risk all their political capital.
What did Koreans do in Vietnam? What did Chinese do to Japan?

You should criticize China and Korea if you against "such barbarian acts to other human beings".

It's a double-bladed sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
But back to reality check, the way it works is usually the following: there are common war facts, and those that are stated as crime against humanity. What Japan did was classified as crime against humanity, with some class A war criminals. And therefore, it would be good that the country and the citizens admit it and do their best to show that this will never happen again.
After WWII, while both China and Korea killed people outside of their countries, Japan has not. What else should Japan prove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Again, those countries are not perfect, but not one single country among the winners in the West was perfect. Still, Germany went above and beyond what was required and compensated heavily in order to earn back the trust.
As far as I know, Germany has not apologized for its invasion. Germany has only apologized and compensated for Jews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Obviously, despite the whole list of apologies you keep bringing back, China and Korea do not feel satisfied. Do we agree that in a communication matter, how the interlocutor perceives your message does matter actually? It's one of the reason why people try to be careful with the words, right? And it's also a good reason to try to stop denying the existence of some historical facts, just to get more election voices. I mean, what's the apology worth if the next political representative just denies it?
Which political representative has denied it? Tell me the name(s).
 
Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 AM
 
919 posts, read 603,270 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Are you kidding?

You don't think Americans have criticized US involvement in Vietnam and Iraq?

You obviously have not been paying attention.
"Hey, those who were killed by the US, listen to me! We are criticizing the government. It's enough, isn't it?"

There are tons of Japanese who criticize their government. It's enough, isn't it?

BTW, Japan has not killed anyone abroad after WWII. How many people did the US kill after WWII? Would anyone tell me the answer, please?
 
Old 08-21-2015, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Asia
2,761 posts, read 1,103,068 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
BTW, Japan has not killed anyone abroad after WWII. How many people did the US kill after WWII? Would anyone tell me the answer, please?
Haha! Hey, when the US starts WWIII, like Japan started WWII, then you can crow about how many people the US has killed.

Until then, best not to make yourself look silly!
 
Old 08-21-2015, 08:23 AM
 
8 posts, read 5,207 times
Reputation: 10
Is the US uneasy with South Korean President Park going to China to celebrate the 70th annivesary of the ending of world war 2 next month? This is a hot rumour topic in East Asia right now. Unlike Japan, South Korea is a country with strong and friendly relations with both the US and China.

Isn't the US also celebrating their victory over Japan every year as well?
 
Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
901 posts, read 631,665 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Yes, only China and Korea. Other countries invaded by Japan have no problems with Japan.

Many surveys show Japan is one of the most popular countries on this planet. Only China and Korea can't deal with it.



What did Koreans do in Vietnam? What did Chinese do to Japan?

You should criticize China and Korea if you against "such barbarian acts to other human beings".

It's a double-bladed sword.



After WWII, while both China and Korea killed people outside of their countries, Japan has not. What else should Japan prove?



As far as I know, Germany has not apologized for its invasion. Germany has only apologized and compensated for Jews.



Which political representative has denied it? Tell me the name(s).
Again, you're confusing things. What the other countries did was not classified as crime against humanity. And we are talking about Japan, not China or Korea. As I said, each of those countries would have their own blame, if they had to apologize for anything.

So don't bring their actions in, don't bring Vietnam in... just focus on Japan and what Japan did before and during the war, exactly as we focus on Germany and its action during this time frame.

Germany has apologized to the Jews for the Holocaust. Fine, let Japan apologize to Chinese and Koreans then for the various things they are accused of, instead of spending time to say that this never happened or that people were "voluntary".

I thought the whole point of this thread was because of those denials?

Abe's Violent Denial: Japan's Prime Minister and the 'Comfort Women' | The Asia-Pacific Journal

Abe’s Japan Cannot Apologize for the Pacific War | The Diplomat

Revisionism Tokyo-style - Japan's leaders still won't acknowledge their country's wartime atrocities. | LA Times

I mean, if those denials did not exist, I am pretty certain the situation would be less explosive in this region. The Japanese citizens should demand such behaviour and clarification from their political leaders.
 
Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Reputation: 508
In the 1930s, the Far East had only 3 independent countries: Republic of China, Empire of Japan, and Kingdom of Thailand. Other places were all colonies of western powers, or of China/Japan. Most of them did not have any real national identity, so of course their attitudes are different from China and Korea.

Taiwan is a mess now. Those who arrived in Taiwan in 1949 hate Japanese, but others have a divided attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top