U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:28 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,178,321 times

Advertisements

I'm personally fed up with the "culture of apology". It's becoming ludicrous.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:56 AM

919 posts, read 606,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's like saying that the aggression in WW2 was Austrian and not German, because Hitler was Austrian... but, the advances in rocketry and aerospace that the Nazis made was German.
Well said.

Quote:
Americans and the English are happy to wax ecstatic about their victories in WW2, but not quite as excited to talk about their genocides against the Native Americans (both), their actions in Vietnam (US), their history of oppressive colonialism (UK), and there are a myriad of a apologist explanations that attempt to rewrite or reframe these events in a much more sympathetic light - which usually brings criticism from other nations.
I can't agree more.

What China and Korea do to Japan is like a double-edged sword. It can hurt themselves.

"Before criticizing others, Korea should shape up yourself" quoted from: When will Korea solve the issue of sex crime in Vietnam?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:09 AM

919 posts, read 606,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
What makes Japanese so certain that their own children will not repeat the same absurd errors, if no one ever teaches them? That's what's more disturbing for me.
While I am not sure about Japanese children, however, I am quite sure children in the United States of America will kill people abroad just like their parents have been doing

Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,633,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Another apology would have amounted to nothing. Despite Japan's numerous wrongdoings before and during WWII, no amount of apology will ever be good enough for the PRC. Absolute capitulation would not be good enough for the PRC; Abe could pull down his pants and bend over before Xi, and that still wouldn't be good enough. Any nation that is recalcitrant in its own wrongdoings and holds itself sinless is not worth apologizing to. The PRC's foreign policy and attitude towards its neighbors can be summed up as cold and calculating, and Abe gave a fairly calculating and lukewarm "apology"; so cry me a F-ing river.
ROFLOL!!! I love the kool-aid that you're drinking!

Though I do agree that China is stupid to be constantly harping about apologies. It needs to double down and build itself a world class nuke deterrence force and a first rate navy and air force to make sure that japan stays honest or send it back to the stone age. That's more worthwhile than wasted energy crying for some apologiy that means, well, absolutely nothing.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,108,166 times
Quote:
Americans ... are happy to wax ecstatic about their victories in WW2, but not quite as excited to talk about their genocides against the Native Americans (both), their actions in Vietnam (US)
I'd say that's incorrect.

The US has an entire industry devoted self-criticism, from Hollywood to popular and historic narrative/literature to academia.

How many classes are being taught in China that are critical of anything China has done to Vietnam or of anything Mao and or the CCP has done?

How many movies are made in China about Chinese oppression of Tibet and Xinjiang, and of 900 years of Chinese oppression of Vietnam?

Same goes for Japan. Japanese textbooks do not discuss Japanese atrocities committed in WWII.

We're not all the same in the way we critique our own histories. The US is far more self-critical than are either China or Japan.

Heck, on June 4, 1989, according to the CCP, nothing happened!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,075,931 times
Here anew, I would like to pray for those who lost their lives in the disaster and offer my deep condolences to their bereaved families.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-VR66xxsQ

Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 AM

6,540 posts, read 7,497,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
Here anew, I would like to pray for those who lost their lives in the disaster and offer my deep condolences to their bereaved families.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-VR66xxsQ

That is such a terrible explosion. So much damage and loss of life, feel sorry for the people in Tianjin China.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,633,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I'd say that's incorrect.

The US has an entire industry devoted self-criticism, from Hollywood to popular and historic narrative/literature to academia.

How many classes are being taught in China that are critical of anything China has done to Vietnam or of anything Mao and or the CCP has done?

How many movies are made in China about Chinese oppression of Tibet and Xinjiang, and of 900 years of Chinese oppression of Vietnam?

Same goes for Japan. Japanese textbooks do not discuss Japanese atrocities committed in WWII.

We're not all the same in the way we critique our own histories. The US is far more self-critical than are either China or Japan.

Heck, on June 4, 1989, according to the CCP, nothing happened!
Actually, according to the CCP, on and around June 4th there was a "counter revolutionary disturbance" that was resolutely put down....It was not "nothing happened."

Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,379,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post

It needs to double down and build itself a world class nuke deterrence force and a first rate navy and air force to make sure that japan stays honest or send it back to the stone age. That's more worthwhile than wasted energy crying for some apologiy that means, well, absolutely nothing.
Sounds exactly like what the right-wing nationalists in the US advocate for the Middle East.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,108,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Actually, according to the CCP, on and around June 4th there was a "counter revolutionary disturbance" that was resolutely put down....It was not "nothing happened."
Exactly. The CCP did NOTHING wrong. And there is no "counter" to that story.

See what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or