U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:03 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times

Advertisements

Article on CNN:

Shinzo Abe: 'Grief' for WWII, but no new Japan apology - CNN.com

Quote:
"Japan has repeatedly expressed the feelings of deep remorse and heartfelt apology for its actions during the war," Abe said, adding the country "engraved in our hearts" the suffering of Japan's Asian neighbors through its actions, including China, South Korea, Indonesia and the Philippines.

But, Abe said, postwar generations now exceed 80% of Japan's population.

"We must not let our children, grandchildren, and even further generations to come, who have nothing to do with that war, be predestined to apologize," Abe said at his official residence in Tokyo.
I'm interested to see how China reacts to this. I ran it by my fiance and she wasn't happy, but she also wasn't aware that Japan had ever apologized for its actions... for those who aren't aware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ssued_by_Japan

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,731,534 times
Both Japan and Germany have apologized ad nauseam. No matter what nation has had terrible things done to them by another, they have also done horrible things to others. No one nation is innocent. Well, maybe Andorra . . . But, I bet they have done horrible things to sheep!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:18 AM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Article on CNN:

Shinzo Abe: 'Grief' for WWII, but no new Japan apology - CNN.com

I'm interested to see how China reacts to this. I ran it by my fiance and she wasn't happy, but she also wasn't aware that Japan had ever apologized for its actions... for those who aren't aware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ssued_by_Japan
I think many Chinese people know Japan apologized before. Their ex prime minster had a famous conversation with Mao, and it is said Mao "thanked" Japan for letting the communist party thrive during WWII.

The major issue is, Chinese and Koreans do not believe their apology is sincere, and some events seemed to suggest so too.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Both Japan and Germany have apologized ad nauseam. No matter what nation has had terrible things done to them by another, they have also done horrible things to others. No one nation is innocent. Well, maybe Andorra . . . But, I bet they have done horrible things to sheep!
It is true that China has never attacked Japan in 4000 years of history though.
The only exception is Kublai Khan's invasion of Japan, if you consider the Mongol empire Chinese too.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,812,960 times
Do South Koreans ever mention how Japan gave technology transfers (which were crucial for the formation of POSCO) and compensation in 1965 as a sort of apology?

Here is a quote from an old article:
Quote:
Sensitive documents about an agreement with Japan, which South Korea declassified Monday, may expose the government to lawsuits from South Korean war victims.

The 1,200 pages of documents show that South Korea agreed never to make further compensation demands, either at the government or individual level, after receiving $800 million in grants and soft loans from Japan as compensation for its 1910-45 colonial rule.
S.Korea discloses sensitive documents - UPI.com

I am also not seeing any outrages from South Koreans in regards to the comfort women system that they deployed for American soldiers.

Former Korean 'comfort women' for U.S. troops sue own government | Reuters

Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It is true that China has never attacked Japan in 4000 years of history though.
The only exception is Kublai Khan's invasion of Japan, if you consider the Mongol empire Chinese too.
You are correct, but the point is that no nation is without guilt. China may not have ever invaded Japan, but have they ever invaded any one else? Every nation has invaded someone before and that is why such apologies must be made - but they should not have to keep apologizing.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You are correct, but the point is that no nation is without guilt. China may not have ever invaded Japan, but have they ever invaded any one else? Every nation has invaded someone before and that is why such apologies must be made - but they should not have to keep apologizing.
Their politicians should stop worshiping war criminals in the Yasukuni Shrine, at least.
Can you imagine German officials worship Hitler, and say it is because Hitler sacrificed himself?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Their politicians should stop worshiping war criminals in the Yasukuni Shrine, at least.
Can you imagine German officials worship Hitler, and say it is because Hitler sacrificed himself?
I would agree with that. In Germany, it is against the law to display swastikas and anything having to do with the nazi party. In Japan, they "pay honor" to their ancestors no matter if they did good things or bad (or both). That is just their culture, but I certainly understand their victims not liking this practice.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm interested to see how China reacts to this.
Let me guess.

Keep bitching?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:38 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,812,960 times
Quote:
I would agree with that. In Germany, it is against the law to display swastikas and anything having to do with the nazi party. In Japan, the "pay honor" to their ancestors no matter if they did good things or bad (or both). That is just their culture, but I certainly understand their victims not liking this practice.
The refusal to give a comprehensive apology to China has more to do with Cold War realities than anything to do with culture. During the Cold War, apologizing to the PRC would give a sort of moral credence to communism and would also show the world that Communists were also victims of capitalist powers during a period in which the US did not want to show Communists as anything more than evil. The US actually pressured Japan to apologize to South Korea which led to the 1965 Treaty. There obviously was nothing like this to the PRC since the US obviously did not want Japan to engage in any tech transfer with the PRC or give any sort of compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or