U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 AM

6,805 posts, read 5,180,558 times

Advertisements

Isn't it kind of pointless to vote when everyone knew who's gonna win beforehand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:58 AM

653 posts, read 544,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Isn't it kind of pointless to vote when everyone knew who's gonna win beforehand?
Well, the important thing is to vote.

I am not sure how to put it across to you, but basically, for a very long long time, Singapore's electoral wards had always been walk-overs; i.e no opposition parties competing; that means that for some constituencies, there are people in the 50s whom have never voted before.

That means that to vote is a very exciting thing, mainly because we calls ourselves a republic, but before 2010, we rarely got the chance to vote.

Everybody knew the current ruling party was always going to win; but people wanted (at least that was what I thought) more checks and balances. There was some ground sentiment before 2011 that the current ruling party allowed an influx of foreigners into Singapore at all levels, resulting in loss of jobs and stagnating wages.

Right now, I am watching the TV right now on the live results and the current ruling party have clearly won a
two-thirds majority - a vast improvement over the 2011 results.

At least the oppostion have retained at least one major constituency.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 09-11-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Well, the important thing is to vote.

I am not sure how to put it across to you, but basically, for a very long long time, Singapore's electoral wards had always been walk-overs; i.e no opposition parties competing; that means that for some constituencies, there are people in the 50s whom have never voted before.

That means that to vote is a very exciting thing, mainly because we calls ourselves a republic, but before 2010, we rarely got the chance to vote.

Everybody knew the current ruling party was always going to win; but people wanted (at least that was what I thought) more checks and balances. There was some ground sentiment before 2011 that the current ruling party allowed an influx of foreigners into Singapore at all levels, resulting in loss of jobs and stagnating wages.

Right now, I am watching the TV right now on the live results and the current ruling party have clearly won a
two-thirds majority - a vast improvement over the 2011 results.

At least the oppostion have retained at least one major constituency.
Actually the results seem to be opposite to public sentiment which many people didn't understand. well one thing is that few Singaporeans expected PAP would do better than 2011.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Actually the results seem to be opposite to public sentiment which many people didn't understand. well one thing is that few Singaporeans expected PAP would do better than 2011.
This is a very controversial topic and there real problem is that there is a total lack of reliable numbers and statistics to back what I call my own theories.

The biggest and most obvious problem for me is the issue of geography where it is concerned is that at the end of the day, Singapore is a very small island and small issues can be easily magnified. Right off the start, the use of rallies to gauge voters' sentiment is completely useless because all constituencies are all geographically-based.

whenever a rally is held in a GRC by any party, supporters at that rally may not be living there at all, but are that party's supporters actually traveled, for example, from Hougang SMC to bedok stadium for a rally aimed at East Coast GRC/Fengshan SMC. Meanwhile, the actual residents of that ward may have different ideas. Problem is that rallies are meant to attract the voters living in that particular area. Singapore is relatively small and it is relatively easy to get from Point A to Point B. Via MRT, it takes only just 1 -2 hours to travel from one end of the island to the other end.

Another bugbear is that I felt that rally attendance is inaccurate of the actual results. For example, I was at the largest rally of an opposition party at an incumbent held ward. estimated a turnout of 30,000. that particular ward delivered over 30,000 votes, but still 30% less than the ruling party.

Another controversial theory making the rounds on forums and social media, which I have not yet feel if is right or wrong, is the presence of new citizens acting as swing votes. GE of 2011, we had 2.2 million + voters. In 2015, it is 2.4 million + voters. a difference of roughly 200,000+ voters.

This is no evidence to back this up, but it is perhaps and maybe possible that these additional 200,000+ voters provided swing votes. Reference to the straits times article: Goal: 15,000-25,000 new citizens a year, Singapore News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

The idea going around on social media is that these swing votes come from new citizens, i.e non-local born naturalized citizens, whom would tend to support the ruling party. I do not really agree fully with this view.

I do not want to agree with this completely; I do felt that the 200,000 plus new voters (200,000 us just nice around 9% of the total number of voters) did act in some ways as a swing vote, but the reality is that these were a mixture of locally-born citizens that just turned 21 and new citizens too.

The difficulty is knowing the truth as all votes are secret; however, if it is true that around (again, I am simply speculating here), based on the Strait times article, around 15,000-25,000 new citizens are added every year, more and more votes may swing to the party that is pro-immigration.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:57 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
This is a very controversial topic and there real problem is that there is a total lack of reliable numbers and statistics to back what I call my own theories.

The biggest and most obvious problem for me is the issue of geography where it is concerned is that at the end of the day, Singapore is a very small island and small issues can be easily magnified. Right off the start, the use of rallies to gauge voters' sentiment is completely useless because all constituencies are all geographically-based.

whenever a rally is held in a GRC by any party, supporters at that rally may not be living there at all, but are that party's supporters actually traveled, for example, from Hougang SMC to bedok stadium for a rally aimed at East Coast GRC/Fengshan SMC. Meanwhile, the actual residents of that ward may have different ideas. Problem is that rallies are meant to attract the voters living in that particular area. Singapore is relatively small and it is relatively easy to get from Point A to Point B. Via MRT, it takes only just 1 -2 hours to travel from one end of the island to the other end.

Another bugbear is that I felt that rally attendance is inaccurate of the actual results. For example, I was at the largest rally of an opposition party at an incumbent held ward. estimated a turnout of 30,000. that particular ward delivered over 30,000 votes, but still 30% less than the ruling party.

Another controversial theory making the rounds on forums and social media, which I have not yet feel if is right or wrong, is the presence of new citizens acting as swing votes. GE of 2011, we had 2.2 million + voters. In 2015, it is 2.4 million + voters. a difference of roughly 200,000+ voters.

This is no evidence to back this up, but it is perhaps and maybe possible that these additional 200,000+ voters provided swing votes. Reference to the straits times article: Goal: 15,000-25,000 new citizens a year, Singapore News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

The idea going around on social media is that these swing votes come from new citizens, i.e non-local born naturalized citizens, whom would tend to support the ruling party. I do not really agree fully with this view.

I do not want to agree with this completely; I do felt that the 200,000 plus new voters (200,000 us just nice around 9% of the total number of voters) did act in some ways as a swing vote, but the reality is that these were a mixture of locally-born citizens that just turned 21 and new citizens too.

The difficulty is knowing the truth as all votes are secret; however, if it is true that around (again, I am simply speculating here), based on the Strait times article, around 15,000-25,000 new citizens are added every year, more and more votes may swing to the party that is pro-immigration.
Doesn't matter anymore. To me i just want to know asap for sure who the next PM will be.

And i hope PAP does not fail the people of Singapore and Singapore continue to do well

Old 09-12-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Doesn't matter anymore. To me i just want to know asap for sure who the next PM will be.

And i hope PAP does not fail the people of Singapore and Singapore continue to do well
We shall see within the next 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or