U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times

Advertisements

This is one of the most bizarrely... well, dumb things I've ever read on CD, to be honest. Why do I feel like a jerk for saying that?

Well, in any case... the average income for a Korean-born Korean American is $62k USD/year; the average income for an American-born Korean American is $71k per year.

The average income for a white American is $55k. So, a foreign-born Korean immigrant living in the US is statistically likely to earn $7k/year more than a white American who was born and raised there.

The average Mexican-American earns $40k per year, and the average US-born African-American earns just shy of $39k/year... 23k less than a Korean immigrant.

I was able to find two instances of Korean Americans being killed by police in the US; I can name two black guys, two white guys, and two latino guys killed in the last month by American police.

I used to live in LA's Koreatown, and the number of Lexuses, BMW's, Porsches, MBZ's, etc and the presence of Korean-speaking staff at many dealers; the number of plastic surgery clinics to specifically cater to Korean clientele; the number of upscale Korean shopping centers and markets; the prevalence of home ownership versus tenancy in the area... these all would indicate that Koreans are doing A-OK in the US. I used to work for a wealthy Korean-American woman who owned hotels, restaurants, stakes in wineries, and lived in Beverly Hills.

Quote:
Americans like and hire vietnamese, filipino, mexican, chinese and japanese etc etc...but not koreans....those are accepted warmly by americans but koreans are not respected and rejected because they are not known and even if you get to know them, not likable...
Lots of middle-aged Koreans own their own businesses - hell, in LA and SF, a few times I walked into a Mexican restaurant and saw that the place was owned by a Korean. Lots of Korean landlords. Korean-Americans earn college degrees at a much higher than average rate, so tons of younger Korean-Americans can be found in any one of a number of business, tech, legal, and medical professions earning plenty of cash.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 PM

900 posts, read 631,469 times
I am pretty sure Koreans are one of the most successful immigration society in the US. In every immigration community, you have successful people and less successful people, but it's the same pattern for all.

Most Asian communities have succeeded, this needs to be acknowledged. Koreans are part of those Asian communities. So unless you have tangible numbers, Koreans are still one of the most successful immigrants in the US.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM

900 posts, read 631,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
The flowchart below is interesting:

According to this chart, what OP has described is America's fault
I am pretty sure some Japanese think the same way, they just need to replace it by Japan, China/Korea and maybe keep the US for some boxes. And it doesn't need to happen before 1945 too.

Hopefully, this is not the majority.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM

12,597 posts, read 15,062,766 times
Not true at all!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:41 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaniac View Post
Americans like and hire vietnamese, filipino, mexican, chinese and japanese etc etc...but not koreans....those are accepted warmly by americans but koreans are not respected and rejected because they are not known and even if you get to know them, not likable...
Come to where I live. You will see many, many successful, affluent Koreans. And personally, I find the ones I know to be very likable.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,116,267 times
Stupid post.

The minority of Americans who are predjudiced would be prejudiced against Asians in general, theyd make no distinction between Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese etc.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
I am pretty sure some Japanese think the same way, they just need to replace it by Japan, China/Korea and maybe keep the US for some boxes. And it doesn't need to happen before 1945 too.
So you know some Japanese like that, don't you? I don't know one.

The flowchart was made by a Canadian who married to a Korean, BTW.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 6,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
So you know some Japanese like that, don't you? I don't know one.

The flowchart was made by a Canadian who married to a Korean, BTW.
The OP makes preposterous, unsupported claims about Korean-Americans (most discriminated, most hated, highest unemployment rates.) Then you follow that up with an even more absurd argument that Koreans are blaming the US for something that isn't true and which no Korean believes. This is like one idiot saying the Japanese carry the most diseases; then another idiot stating that Japan blames the US for it. Your arguments make no freaking sense on any level. Are both of you actually that stupid and delusional?

I have seen you in other threads starting arguments, trolling and spouting more ridiculous nonsense. Just wow.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 AM

14,735 posts, read 10,630,664 times
Off Topic. This is the Asia forum, not Asian forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia