U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

American companies hire all kinds of asian people who don't speak good english and just got immigrated to the US but american company don't hire koreans who live in the US for many years and speak intermittant english... this is reality...so korean people in the US don't have money...americans don't like koreans more because they don't have jobs and money so they come across as novice people who have no experience in the society...vicious cycle...Korean people are really poor people...T-T;;

Korean American seniors’ income lowest of all Asian Americans
December 11, 2014

According to a report released by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Korean Americans 65 years and over had an income average of $21,382 — the lowest among all 27 documented Asian populations in America.
This data suggests the the poverty level for low-income elderly Korean Americans may be at a critical level.
The AARP cited another study from National Asian Pacific Center on Aging (NAPCA) and found that in a 2013 survey, of the 20.8% of the Asian American elderly population that was surveyed, 9.5% of the participants reported incomes that put them below the U.S. poverty line of $11,670 according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Additionally, reports from the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) showed that the poverty rate was the highest among the Korean American elderly.
Experts say that low English proficiency and the Korean American elderly’s dependence on their children are two major factors contributing to the issue.

this applies not only to seniors but to juniors also...

Last edited by goodmaniac; 08-30-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 6,001 times
This is a stupid post. Koreans are not the most discriminated ethnicity in the U.S., nor do they have more trouble finding jobs than other ethnicities. Poor language skills are an issue for many recently arrived Asian or Hispanic immigrants, but it is not endemic to Koreans.

The reason why many Korean senior citizens have low incomes is because they live with their children as the article states. It is not true for 'juniors'. Where is your source for that? English is CLEARLY not your first language. Have you lived in the U.S., not just visited or gone to school, but held a job there? Are you a misguided Korean looking for sympathy or another nationalistic Japanese knucklehead?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashAcid View Post
This is a stupid post. Koreans are not the most discriminated ethnicity in the U.S., nor do they have more trouble finding jobs than other ethnicities. Poor language skills are an issue for many recently arrived Asian or Hispanic immigrants, but it is not endemic to Koreans.

The reason why many Korean senior citizens have low incomes is because they live with their children as the article states. It is not true for 'juniors'. Where is your source for that? English is CLEARLY not your first language. Have you lived in the U.S., not just visited or gone to school, but held a job there? Are you a misguided Korean looking for sympathy or another nationalistic Japanese knucklehead?

Americans like and hire vietnamese, filipino, mexican, chinese and japanese etc etc...but not koreans....those are accepted warmly by americans but koreans are not respected and rejected because they are not known and even if you get to know them, not likable...

Old 08-30-2015, 10:41 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,137,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaniac View Post
Americans like and hire vietnamese, filipino, mexican, chinese and japanese etc etc...but not koreans....those are accepted warmly by americans but koreans are not respected and rejected because they are not known and even if you get to know them, not likable...
I'll make sure I will tell the last company I worked for....we had several Koreans that worked there...but obviously according to you....they didn't.

Is this idea based on actual research or just the fact you are having trouble find a job personally?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:44 PM

955 posts, read 1,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I'll make sure I will tell the last company I worked for....we had several Koreans that worked there...but obviously according to you....they didn't.

Is this idea based on actual research or just the fact you are having trouble find a job personally?
I would be surprised if he actually had found a job, LOL

Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Quote:
Ok, you are a bigot against the Koreans. I am born and raised in the US and I have family on both coasts. I have never ever heard of this ridiculous "dislike" for ethnic Koreans. What a crock of cow dung!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 AM

919 posts, read 602,331 times
The flowchart below is interesting:

According to this chart, what OP has described is America's fault

Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 AM

15,733 posts, read 9,244,311 times
Quote:
American companies hire all kinds of asian people who don't speak good english and just got immigrated to the US but american company don't hire koreans who live in the US for many years and speak intermittant english... this is reality...so korean people in the US don't have money...americans don't like koreans more because they don't have jobs and money so they come across as novice people who have no experience in the society...vicious cycle...Korean people are really poor people...T-T;;

Korean American seniors’ income lowest of all Asian Americans
December 11, 2014

According to a report released by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Korean Americans 65 years and over had an income average of $21,382 — the lowest among all 27 documented Asian populations in America.
This data suggests the the poverty level for low-income elderly Korean Americans may be at a critical level.
The AARP cited another study from National Asian Pacific Center on Aging (NAPCA) and found that in a 2013 survey, of the 20.8% of the Asian American elderly population that was surveyed, 9.5% of the participants reported incomes that put them below the U.S. poverty line of $11,670 according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Additionally, reports from the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) showed that the poverty rate was the highest among the Korean American elderly.
Experts say that low English proficiency and the Korean American elderly’s dependence on their children are two major factors contributing to the issue.

this applies not only to seniors but to juniors also...
Low income is not "living in poverty", necessarily. This dependence on children, and the fact that taking care of one's parents is a huge part of Korean culture, means that those elderly are most likely taken care of.

As for "not hiring" Koreans - self employment and owning their own business is very common with Koreans. Therefore, no need to find a job. They make one for themselves.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 AM

17,221 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
American companies hire all kinds of asian people who don't speak good english and just got immigrated to the US but american company don't hire koreans who live in the US for many years and speak intermittant english... this is reality...so korean people in the US don't have money...americans don't like koreans more because they don't have jobs and money so they come across as novice people who have no experience in the society...vicious cycle...Korean people are really poor people...
The CEO of the organization I work for has multiple degrees from MIT and Stanford and was a managing partner of a large law firm for several years.

This person is also a Korean American woman.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM

183 posts, read 210,026 times
I am a Korean living in New York and I make six figures. Most of my Korean friends make six to seven figures. What a bull load of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia