U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 PM

653 posts, read 541,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's a pity.

I don't really get what "tense international times" Singapore is having though. Are you guys having troubles with anyone? Singapore seems to get along with everyone.
Currently, no.

But we had a lot of bad experiences in the past; mainly due to the circumstances under which Singapore got its independence.

there was joint military exercise by our 2 neighbours, that occurred in 1991 right exactly during our National Day.

It involved an airborne assault by paratroopers by our neighbours.

It was provocative: the military exercise choice of codename, which i won't reveal here, as well as the choice of a drop zone just 18km from Singapore, and the scheduling of the airdrop on Aug 9th - Singapore's 26th National Day, resulted in mobilization of reserve units.

there is also the issue of the South China Sea too.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 09-09-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:20 PM

6,782 posts, read 5,139,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Currently, no.

But we had a lot of bad experiences in the past; mainly due to the circumstances under which Singapore got its independence.

there was joint military exercise by our 2 neighbours, that occurred in 1991 right exactly during our National Day.

It involved an airborne assault by paratroopers by our neighbours.

It was provocative: the military exercise choice of codename, which i won't reveal here, as well as the choice of a drop zone just 18km from Singapore, and the scheduling of the airdrop on Aug 9th - Singapore's 26th National Day, resulted in mobilization of reserve units.

there is also the issue of the South China Sea too.
1991 was a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I really don't think either Malaysia or Indonesia is in the position of invading anyone. Especially not a country that has such close relations with some of the major powers out there, mainly the US. That feels like paranoia to me.

And according to my knowledge, Singapore is not in the SCS dispute...and frankly even if you were, it wouldn't matter, it's not like anyone lives there or would want to live there. We have like an island(seems like the fattest one) and honestly no one gives a **** about it at all. We can basically just hand it to Japan or some random country a la Iceland for the sake of pissing China off lol. That'd be hilarious.

Last edited by Greysholic; 09-10-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM

4,906 posts, read 3,403,749 times
Yup. That was Operation Malindo Darsasa 3AB conducted by Indonesia and Malaysia in Southern Johore. The codename was Pukal Habis, Malay for " total wipeout ". Pretty ominous at the time. I'm old enough to remember when Indonesia sent Marines to Singapore in the mid 60's and bombed the McDonald House on Orchard Rd. Since then things have mellowed out. Would imagine China looms larger as a potential threat now.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yup. That was Operation Malindo Darsasa 3AB conducted by Indonesia and Malaysia in Southern Johore. The codename was Pukal Habis, Malay for " total wipeout ". Pretty ominous at the time. I'm old enough to remember when Indonesia sent Marines to Singapore in the mid 60's and bombed the McDonald House on Orchard Rd. Since then things have mellowed out. Would imagine China looms larger as a potential threat now.
It does, the last thing international trade passing through the SCS is to get blocked thanks to an "incident"

Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
1991 was a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I really don't think either Malaysia or Indonesia is in the position of invading anyone. Especially not a country that has such close relations with some of the major powers out there, mainly the US. That feels like paranoia to me.

And according to my knowledge, Singapore is not in the SCS dispute...and frankly even if you were, it wouldn't matter, it's not like anyone lives there or would want to live there. We have like an island(seems like the fattest one) and honestly no one gives a **** about it at all. We can basically just hand it to Japan or some random country a la Iceland for the sake of pissing China off lol. That'd be hilarious.

But seriously, 95% of ASEAN's maritime trade passes through the South China Sea; and the entire SCS is really international waters; the moment there is some of kind of military incident in the SCS, maritime trade becomes a lot more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or