U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:16 PM

480 posts, read 191,523 times

Advertisements

I often go on holiday to Bangkok .. city similiar Jakarta, but there's cost of living is cheaper when compared to Jakarta. and one thing that attracts people who are very friendly,shopping and the food was delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 05:41 AM

64 posts, read 38,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In many ways I prefer Bangkok to Singapore, Tokyo or even Hong Kong. Why? Because Bangkok has a much more colorful history and more varied architecture. Bangkok is a Royal city ... a city of palaces, monuments, and temples. As a royal city, you might encounter pageantry ... certainly traditional ceremony and rituals. To some degree Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Singapore are trying to be an Asiatic New York ... Bangkok is more like London and Paris to me.
Wow... so much BS in just one small paragraph, impressive ! "Bangkok has much more varied architecture than Singapore, Tokyo or even Hong Kong..." - are you sure you visited these cities ? You was sober ?

"Bangkok is more like London and Paris..." oohh geez, stop it ! I'm peeing my pants. No but seriously, I should go back to London and Paris, because I didn't see many rickshaws that try to rob me, cockroaches that swim in my noodle soup, tons of nasty drunk tourists getting AIDS from ladyboys and food poisoning from the street food.

I admit that I have thrown some bloody stereotypes about this city, but I had to counterweight your nonsense paradisiac image that you are trying to spread. The real Bangkok is between both.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:50 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
I very much enjoyed Bangkok as a tourist but I wouldn't live there, same goes for Manila (I found Bangkok culturally more exciting though). The no 1 issue for me would be the monsoon tropical climate, hot and humid. I visiged Hong King too and I would choose Hong king over the two previous cities. I didn't visit other cities in Asia.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:47 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,340,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picopepec View Post
Wow... so much BS in just one small paragraph, impressive ! "Bangkok has much more varied architecture than Singapore, Tokyo or even Hong Kong..." - are you sure you visited these cities ? You was sober ?

"Bangkok is more like London and Paris..." oohh geez, stop it ! I'm peeing my pants. No but seriously, I should go back to London and Paris, because I didn't see many rickshaws that try to rob me, cockroaches that swim in my noodle soup, tons of nasty drunk tourists getting AIDS from ladyboys and food poisoning from the street food.

I admit that I have thrown some bloody stereotypes about this city, but I had to counterweight your nonsense paradisiac image that you are trying to spread. The real Bangkok is between both.
Yes, picopepec ...

I have visited those cities many times.

I am a world traveler (over 80 countries on six continents visited).

As far as architecture, sculptural decoration, landscape design shall we have a discussion about the edifices that show the development of the Rattanakoisin Style of architecture that is unique to Bangkok? Can you distinguish examples of Lan Na and Sukhothai and Ayutthaya style architecture.

Don't get me started on traditional styles of Siamese architecture ... because I am quite educated on that subject.

Maybe we can have a meaningful dialogue on the Neo-Khmer style of architecture that is exemplified by Wat Arun, the Temple of the Dawn? Do you care to describe:

Wat Po - Bangkok's oldest temple complex, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha and the Holy Bodhi Tree?

Wat Benchamabophit - the Marble Temple?

The Erawan Shrine?

The gardens of the Chitralada Palace?

The various pavilions of the Grand Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha?

Have you ever climbed The Golden Mount and explored it gold-leaf Chedi?

Moving on to the performing arts, have you witnessed the traditional Khon opera and ballet? Are you familiar with the epic of the Ramakein? (Ramayana in Sanskrit)

Have you seen the golden dragon boats on the river? Any royal ceremonies?

... or ... are you one of those dudes who haunts Pat Pong and sticks to the Red Light District?

Old 08-31-2016, 01:15 PM

64 posts, read 38,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yes, picopepec ...

I have visited those cities many times.

I am a world traveler (over 80 countries on six continents visited).

As far as architecture, sculptural decoration, landscape design shall we have a discussion about the edifices that show the development of the Rattanakoisin Style of architecture that is unique to Bangkok? Can you distinguish examples of Lan Na and Sukhothai and Ayutthaya style architecture.

Don't get me started on traditional styles of Siamese architecture ... because I am quite educated on that subject.

Maybe we can have a meaningful dialogue on the Neo-Khmer style of architecture that is exemplified by Wat Arun, the Temple of the Dawn? Do you care to describe:

Wat Po - Bangkok's oldest temple complex, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha and the Holy Bodhi Tree?

Wat Benchamabophit - the Marble Temple?

The Erawan Shrine?

The gardens of the Chitralada Palace?

The various pavilions of the Grand Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha?

Have you ever climbed The Golden Mount and explored it gold-leaf Chedi?

Moving on to the performing arts, have you witnessed the traditional Khon opera and ballet? Are you familiar with the epic of the Ramakein? (Ramayana in Sanskrit)

Have you seen the golden dragon boats on the river? Any royal ceremonies?

... or ... are you one of those dudes who haunts Pat Pong and sticks to the Red Light District?
Sorry you didn't have to list all the architectural master pieces of Bangkok, I also admire them (I often go to Thailand). But saying that Bangkok is better than Tokyo, I think it's comparing apples and oranges, no? Maybe it's because of the fact that people know Tokyo for the modern buildings and skyline, while in fact there is also a lot of old temples, shrines, houses etc.

Anyway, I hope my comment didn't offend you somehow (since you seem to be a big lover of Siam), it was not the purpose

Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,731,498 times
It made me think of a hotter, more humid, more chaotic, and rundown Tokyo. It has a really interesting blend of high technology with third world ramshackleness(I may have just invented that word). Overall though, I'm not a huge fan of the place. It's just too hot, seedy, and downright insane for me. I can handle heat and I can handle chaos but I cannot handle both at the same time. And the place seems more dangerous than a lot of people realize. I prefer Chiang Mai much more.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Have I been to Bangkok? Yes, I've been to Sauna-kok!

So hot and humid, I thought, any minute, I was going to go crashing to the sidewalk in Pat Pong, even at night!

Even harder for someone who has lived in the desert with 5-10% humidity levels.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:38 PM

200 posts, read 538,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
I often go on holiday to Bangkok .. city similiar Jakarta, but there's cost of living is cheaper when compared to Jakarta. and one thing that attracts people who are very friendly,shopping and the food was delicious.
Very true, and both countries are very authoritarian in the respect to their governments but are open to some extent to foreigners bringing money into their country as long as they keep their noses out of freedom politics in their country. I'm surprised, Jakarta is more expensive than Thailand but that probably has more to do with Government tariffs than anything.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:39 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
I'm surprised, Jakarta is more expensive than Thailand but that probably has more to do with Government tariffs than anything.
Yes me too since the average salary in Jakarta is nearly 50% lower than in Bangkok plus they receive a lot less tourist $ than BKK.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:41 AM

27 posts, read 23,713 times
Bangkok is a big, bustling modern city. Its in the tropics( its a tropical monsoon climate). It's a gorgeous beautiful city. In Bangkok you can find modern architecture and old architecture. When walking down the street in Bangkok, you can be stuck in bustling big crowds, just like one could be in Tokyo, shanghai or any other large city etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or