Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times

Advertisements

I doubt that China or Asia in general will receive large-scale migration comparable to N.America or even Europe, but do you think that a fairly sizeable community of people of non-Chinese ancestry who identify as Chinese by nationality or even culture/ethnicity will be established?

I'm talking about people who either grew up or were born in China (maybe the children of ex-pats today), who are not too insulated in the ex-pat community, who speak Mandarin as their first language, identify as being as Chinese first.etc, but just don't have the appearance of being Chinese/Asian. I know China isn't like the US and the locals may not view you as truly Chinese or a son of the land unless you've lived there for generations, but people like this boy:

Wow! American Boy Speaks Mandarin Chinese in China - YouTube

might not be so uncommon in the near future.

I mean in the past Russians, Persians, and other peoples from elsewhere had long-running communities in China, so why not? I don't think it's that far-fetched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:47 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,465,520 times
I think you will see an increase of this as people find jobs abroad and settle in. They then have kids, etc... With business and employment opportunities in China growing, you will see more British, Americans, Canadians, etc. living there and having kids. These two young brothers were raised in Hong Kong.

Two White Guys speaking wicked Chinese (Cantonese) - YouTube

Last edited by JL; 09-09-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,989,177 times
I'm curious what will happen with that as well. There are are ton of them.

Not only are there second generation 'white' people in Asia, but I've even met 3rd generation 'white' people in Japan and such. Yeah, the greater culture/society does not recognize their existance whatsoever.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm curious what will happen with that as well. There are are ton of them.

Not only are there second generation 'white' people in Asia, but I've even met 3rd generation 'white' people in Japan and such. Yeah, the greater culture/society does not recognize their existance whatsoever.
How integrated were they? Were they just like other Japanese, or like the colonial British in Hong Kong, Malaya, India.etc?

Also interesting are the Japanese Brazilians who returned to Japan and were shunned since they were culturally Brazilian.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,951,212 times
I met a old white guy who was born and raised in China 60 years ago. He speaks fluent Mandarin. He was from the north of China.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I met a old white guy who was born and raised in China 60 years ago. He speaks fluent Mandarin. He was from the north of China.
Was he Russian? There was a sizeable Russian community in Harbin prior to the purging. Today there are still small Russian communities in some places of China, they are in fact recognised as one of the 54 'ethnic minority' groups along with the likes of Koreans. Most speak Chinese as their main language, of course, and many even converse in Mandarin at home. They are largely integrated into Chinese society.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM

385 posts, read 856,574 times
There has been a community of Jewish people that have been in China from the late 1930's to early 1940's, not real sure of the exact year, but my wife had shown the village to me back in 2008, most spoke only Mandarin but some also spoke Hebrew and some little English.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,465,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Does he speak English with a Chinese accent?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,951,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Was he Russian? There was a sizeable Russian community in Harbin prior to the purging. Today there are still small Russian communities in some places of China, they are in fact recognised as one of the 54 'ethnic minority' groups along with the likes of Koreans. Most speak Chinese as their main language, of course, and many even converse in Mandarin at home. They are largely integrated into Chinese society.
I not sure what background he was. Yet much of his family does not live there anymore except for a few relatives that intermarried with the ethnic Han Chinese people.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 AM

There's an example of a white lady, the daughter of American missionaries, born and raised in Hong Kong. Cantonese is her first language and she speaks English in a Hong Kong accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia