U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I don't care about what economists say about China's impending doom due to low birth rates....It's GREAT!!! For too long, the Chinese have sacrificed quality for quantity, even in its people. It's understandable when the country is backward and agrarian. But if China wants to evolve, it needs less people, and higher quality people. Who want a thousand peasants squatting on the side of the street when 10 educated college grads can move the country forward in innovation? They eat less , demand greater consumer comfort and they add far greater value to the things they do.

Same thing with the environment. Who wants 1000 peasants over 10 pandas or 10 white fin dolphins? I pick the dolphins and the pandas anyday.
I agree China's population is NOT a big problem.

I don't know why economists make a big fuss about that -- too many old people, too few children. Are they kidding? China is not France or the US. The seniors mostly don't rely on the government/other taxpayers for their retirement life. They rely on personal savings and family.

China can lose 50% of its population and it will still do just fine, probably better. 700 million is still twice the population of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 AM

448 posts, read 499,799 times
Too many old people, too few children. More like talking about Japan, Singapore and other East Asian tigers. The older people are very visible in the high income Asian economies. While in China I can see jobs done by very young Chinese, the same jobs are done by middle-age or elderlies in Japan and East Asian tigers. China still has a good supply of young people. And the Chinese are not reluctant at giving birth. People in China want to have children even if they are poor.

Chinese and Asian people would love to rely on the government and or taxpayers for their retirement life. But such policies are seldomly implemented in Asia.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:00 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

Chinese and Asian people would love to rely on the government and or taxpayers for their retirement life. But such policies are seldomly implemented in Asia.
Well they shouldn't. Such entitlement in western countries is what disgusts me most (along with union power).

Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,935 times
Beijing continues to suffer from pollution, but Delhi's air quality is one-and-a-half times worse | Environment | The Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia