U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:15 PM

722 posts, read 921,408 times

Advertisements

I heard the mixed race children in Vietnam from US servicemen fathering children with Vietnamese women during the war were treated very poorly and discriminated

many of them were killed by the Vietnamese, they were treated so poorly that the US took them in to save them, very few remain in Vietnam today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:56 PM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_kristy View Post
not in the Philippines.

you enjoy special status when you're "tisoy/tisay" (from the Spanish mestizo). You're considered attractive and most end up having careers in showbiz or modelling.

Filipino kids born to white fathers almost always look white so they definitely stand out but everybody likes them cos they're cute or gwapo
And if the father is Black with stronger African features? In any case the Black communities accept them. Those with light skinned Black fathers who are closer to being able to pass as white tend to look like your typical pinoy.

In Okinawa my cousin's ex a so-called Blasian says socially things began to change about 15 years ago from the well know Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese discrimination as the children of GIs

Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And if the father is Black with stronger African features? In any case the Black communities accept them. Those with light skinned Black fathers who are closer to being able to pass as white tend to look like your typical pinoy.

In Okinawa my cousin's ex a so-called Blasian says socially things began to change about 15 years ago from the well know Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese discrimination as the children of GIs
Philippine society is very tolerant of all classes of people, whether you are gay or black. as all people with dark skin, which the Philippines has plenty of, you get teased a lot but other than that, they are fine.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,613,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post

Often I tell my mixed children (White/Asian) that "out of the many things in life that you enjoy chances are they were made, invented, perfected or produced by someone that's not like you. No sense in carrying prejudices around as they get heavy after a while".
Great quote! I like that.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:00 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Philippine society is very tolerant of all classes of people, whether you are gay or black. as all people with dark skin, which the Philippines has plenty of, you get teased a lot but other than that, they are fine.
Sane in my island. Everybody is mixed race, myself included and we don't make a big deal of it, as long as you don't look like a Scandinavian, then you're a gringo.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've known a few half-Japanese people who were born or raised in Japan. Most of them feel that way - very "Japanese" on the inside, since that's where they grew up, and they're generally more familiar with that culture... but, also somewhat separate from the culture since they're immediately identified as being something different, which in a homogeneous society can be really, really difficult.

Most half-Chinese people I know are in a similar situation, and often end up identifying more with their Western part as they grow up because their home culture doesn't accept them as "one of them," but the West is generally fairly accepting of mixed marriages and mixed people. Fortunately, the discrimination they face generally isn't violent or anything, but even the more positive stereotypes can be insulting and patronizing, and they tend to get worse in the teens as the nationalism tied to ethnicity becomes more pronounced.
That's interesting, and I think quite true.

My boy was raised in Taiwan and attended Taiwanese kindergarten, elementary school, and middle school before I sent him to the US for high school and university (and now grad school). He still returns to Taiwan every summer to visit us and his Taiwanese grandparents and to complete internships/activities, here.

Yet, the other day my wife and I were joking with him and asked him whether he prefers Asian girls or Western girls. He replied that he doesn't care whether they are white, black, or Asian, but, he prefers and better relates to girls that have Western values and understand Western concepts with respect to dating, socialization, and work.

He is completely proficient in Mandarin and totally bi-cultural. But, as I observe him, now, it is increasingly evident that he identifies more closely with Western values and ideas. He never was bullied in Taiwan schools (and in fact had many good friends, there), but, he was always regarded as "other" and as a foreigner rather than as a Taiwanese. It was different in the US, where he was considered just another American kid in high school.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 AM

722 posts, read 921,408 times
it seems like mixed race children are more accepted in countries with mostly Christian or religious people that believe in God.

since it goes with the religion , since everybody is considered God's children and they believe we are all brothers and sisters

but if the asian country is not a predominantly Christian country the people have a different opinion on mixed races, since they dont really consider everybody as the same like in western cultures.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 PM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
it seems like mixed race children are more accepted in countries with mostly Christian or religious people that believe in God.
since it goes with the religion , since everybody is considered God's children and they believe we are all brothers and sisters
but if the asian country is not a predominantly Christian country the people have a different opinion on mixed races, since they dont really consider everybody as the same like in western cultures.
That doesn't track with the western experience as Christian faith has lost power since WWI interracial and ethnic couplings has been on a steady increase. Maybe the Catholic Vietnamese were more likely to get involved with a Frenchman or American soldier? But the European with their Black countrymen also are representative of the colonial period. I m thinking that the Philippines are just an anomaly.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,613,293 times
Quote:

I think a better measure of whether mixed heritage people are accepted in a country is the degree of ethnic diversity in that society.

The Philippines being a mix of Malay, Chinese, Spanish and American influences - not surprisingly is more accepting.

Korea, being relatively homogenous, is not all that accepting of mixed race people - even though it probably had the highest % of Christians in Asia after the Philippines.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:40 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:

I would take some exception to this. It's only within the last half century, moreso in the last quarter century, that intermarriage has been considered mainstream, normal, or in some cases even just acceptable, in many Western nations that have Christian roots... and as Taiko mentions, this timeline coincides with a *drop* in religiosity in the west.

It should also be pointed out that Christianity was used as justification by by empires for their violent imperial conquests over people they viewed as inferior. After decolonization, in many cases, these colonies were unceremoniously cut loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or