U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Reputation: 11309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I heard the mixed race children in Vietnam from US servicemen fathering children with Vietnamese women during the war were treated very poorly and discriminated

many of them were killed by the Vietnamese, they were treated so poorly that the US took them in to save them, very few remain in Vietnam today.
I had an ex close to a decade ago now whose parents were both French-Vietnamese, born before the US got involved full-scale; their grandmas both claimed their kids were fathered by American GI's and lied about their ages because the French just sort of whistled and looked the other way.

What I understand of the situation is that the average Vietnamese person didn't feel ill towards them, but they were viewed as a sad reminder of an ugly period of colonialism, oppression, and war. The government officially took no stance on them and considered them "Vietnamese," but in practice, some people - particularly those who were more active with the communist party - took out their anger on them and their mothers.

At a time when there were lots of people trying to flee Vietnam anyways, the mixed race children and their moms were given priority and often received aid from the government and also church and charity groups. Many of those who had stayed in Vietnam until adulthood later emigrated anyway because it was easier for them to do so and their economic futures in the US were brighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2015, 01:15 PM
 
448 posts, read 499,543 times
Reputation: 170
People in Japan who have a non-Japanese east asian ancestry, speak fluent Japanese, goto Japanese mainstream schools don't face anything special.

Being visibily non East Asian looking really stand out in Japan and other east asian countries. A quarter non East Asian don't stand out much, at half non East Asian is required to be viewed specially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
People in Japan who have a non-Japanese east asian ancestry, speak fluent Japanese, goto Japanese mainstream schools don't face anything special.

Being visibily non East Asian looking really stand out in Japan and other east asian countries. A quarter non East Asian don't stand out much, at half non East Asian is required to be viewed specially.
Appearance is definitely a big deciding factor as to how someone is going to be treated in any community. Someone who is half Japanese and half Chinese or Vietnamese or Korean or ________ probably isn't going to face any specific abnormal treatment versus anyone else based on their looks. But imagine if a kid is half Japanese and half Chinese, grew up in Japan, has a Japanese name and speaks fluent Japanese... and then China pulls some stunt that angers Japan and gets all over the news. I can guarantee that kid will quickly become identified as something different, and be mocked for it. Hell, imagine if the tables were turned, and it was a half-Japanese kid in China, where you'd think WW2 ended a month ago...

Someone who's a quarter something else and 3/4 east Asian will probably look almost totally Asian, and any features they retain from their non-Asian part will probably be blended to the point that it's hard to identify without knowing, and I think that at that point, no one in those nations would consider them an outsider. In the Sinosphere, there are some celebrities who are quarter white but thought of as almost exclusively as Chinese. I seem to recall that there are a few in Japan as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,401 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
it's always been like that, mixed race asians are never accepted as asian, they are usually considered the race of the father

especially mixed race children from US servicemen, those are usually looked down on and never accepted. Almost like the children of prostitutes
I woder why the US military forces allow the servicemen to be involved with local Japanese women.
In China, soldiers are not allowed to have any romantic relationship with local women. And that's in their own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Elysium
6,584 posts, read 3,638,317 times
Reputation: 4578
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I woder why the US military forces allow the servicemen to be involved with local Japanese women.
In China, soldiers are not allowed to have any romantic relationship with local women. And that's in their own country.
Because it is illegal for US soldiers to be involved with prostitutes, if two are in mutual agreement and not married since adultery is also illegal then so be it. Part of being free people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM
 
722 posts, read 922,021 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Appearance is definitely a big deciding factor as to how someone is going to be treated in any community. Someone who is half Japanese and half Chinese or Vietnamese or Korean or ________ probably isn't going to face any specific abnormal treatment versus anyone else based on their looks. But imagine if a kid is half Japanese and half Chinese, grew up in Japan, has a Japanese name and speaks fluent Japanese... and then China pulls some stunt that angers Japan and gets all over the news. I can guarantee that kid will quickly become identified as something different, and be mocked for it. Hell, imagine if the tables were turned, and it was a half-Japanese kid in China, where you'd think WW2 ended a month ago...

Someone who's a quarter something else and 3/4 east Asian will probably look almost totally Asian, and any features they retain from their non-Asian part will probably be blended to the point that it's hard to identify without knowing, and I think that at that point, no one in those nations would consider them an outsider. In the Sinosphere, there are some celebrities who are quarter white but thought of as almost exclusively as Chinese. I seem to recall that there are a few in Japan as well.
Bruce Lee's mother was 1/2 German, so that would make him 1/4 white

he wasnt full Chinese, but most people accept him as a Chinese and dont even know he was part German.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
Reputation: 48173
most racism is evil here and in france
every place else its ok.
sadly there are pockets in america where where racism is
ok
try operating a korean market in detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 03:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,868 posts, read 3,385,719 times
Reputation: 7772
Didn't seem to hurt Maria Ozawa in the Japanese porn industry or Bonnie Hicks in Singapore who was a legitimate model and author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,401 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because it is illegal for US soldiers to be involved with prostitutes, if two are in mutual agreement and not married since adultery is also illegal then so be it. Part of being free people.
Prostitutes are illegal in China too.
Is it so hard to hold your desire when you are on duty? You can do whatever when you are back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Asia
2,761 posts, read 1,102,358 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Prostitutes are illegal in China too.
And the pure-as-snow Chinese men never visit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Is it so hard to hold your desire when you are on duty? You can do whatever when you are back home.
What is the problem?

Anyway, seems highly ironic that an apparent Chinese poster is lecturing foreign men on an inability to control sexual desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top