Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:43 PM

722 posts, read 1,318,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
My sons are half Filipino. Myself I'm very mixed. My first son has whiter skin and was always called gwapo, etc. My second son came out with darker skin and people don't call him cute as much. He was even teased sometimes called "negro" among family members. But I agree Filipino's are much more accepting compared to other peoples.
I remember the kids in school use to name all the different ethnic groups they are mixed with like they were actually proud of being mixed?

I knew a hispanic guy from Mexico that used to tell me all the different races he was mixed with like he was proud of being mixed?

Mexican, Aztec, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, etc

the hispanic culture seems to be more accepting of mixed races / marriages? I guess similar to Filipino culture?

most asians would be insulted to be mixed with so many different groups like that, I noticed Filipinos often inter-marry with black people or white people, and less with another asian ethnic group.

possibly because of more similarities in Western culture , customs and religion, plus language, most filipinos can speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 04:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,041,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Hahahahahaha! Scientific studies?

I get it. Chinese soldiers are not allowed to date local women , not to mention using prostitutes .

Hahahaha! I am not limiting my comments to soldiers.

Now, I wonder who is visiting all those Chinese prostitutes and who is it that has all those mistresses and all those 小太太?

Oh with 1.3 billion people you can definitely find all types.
But the majority are common and more conservative than westerners.
At least most Chinese children have a father and a mother at home. The same is not true in a lot of countries.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 4,331,792 times
I have a relative who went to Japan to teach English. Several years later, he's now married to a Tokyo native, he works as a translator in a corporation there, and they have two young daughters.

I haven't heard any horror stories as the girls have started school. But I wonder how they'll do once they reach adulthood, assuming that they try to stay in Tokyo. Maybe Tokyo's more cosmopolitan with respect to foreigners than I'm assuming.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:59 AM

993 posts, read 2,437,906 times
I would surmise that a lot (if not most) Asians can't tell themselves. However, one often neglects the power (or tendency) of people to talk about others (not even maliciously) behind their back. For instance, even as a topic of conversation, say you know some Asian person that doesn't care about an individual being mixed, that person may just mention somebody else being mixed as an interesting thing out of boredom, and then that information may get spread by people that do care. I've been told to lie by some; That mixed people should choose what they look like, ... and then just lie and call peoples' bluff. Also, I've noticed a tendency amongst many Asians to judge and even assert a person to be of ethnicity XYZ without even asking that person, but just by word-of-moth or perhaps (obvious to them?, personal observation).

Old 09-28-2015, 06:23 AM

919 posts, read 832,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
TOKYO — Ariana Miyamoto was born and raised in Japan and speaks fluent Japanese. But she said most people in her homeland see her as a foreigner.

“My appearance isn’t Asian,” she said, “[but] I think I’m very much Japanese on the inside.”

Being 'Hafu' in Japan | Al Jazeera America
So I guess all who voted for her were non-Asian?

Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
The funny thing is, to me, she doesn't look Japanese at all. Her type of look is very common in the Spanish Caribbean (where I was born) and Brazil, where the original people looked a lot like Southeast Asians.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:10 PM

1,676 posts, read 937,450 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qe4AZRkFYE

Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 AM

24 posts, read 25,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Good point. If she was truly discriminated and treated as Non-Japanese, it should have been impossible to collect enough votes. But as a fact, number of Japanese judges voted for her as a representative of Japan. What a contradiction!

Old 01-04-2016, 01:36 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,812,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmione904 View Post
Good point. If she was truly discriminated and treated as Non-Japanese, it should have been impossible to collect enough votes. But as a fact, number of Japanese judges voted for her as a representative of Japan. What a contradiction!

Why is it a contradiction? Are the Japense sheep you actually think a few judges represent the opinions of an entire population, that's a hard pill to swallow. It is completely expected in a democatic society that one would have diverse opinions with some individuals being accepting of differences others not so much. In the USA we have a black president that was voted into office but unfortunately there are still plenty of Americans that hate black people. Sorry but I fail to see the contradiction.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:19 PM

919 posts, read 832,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Why is it a contradiction? Are the Japense sheep you actually think a few judges represent the opinions of an entire population, that's a hard pill to swallow. It is completely expected in a democatic society that one would have diverse opinions with some individuals being accepting of differences others not so much. In the USA we have a black president that was voted into office but unfortunately there are still plenty of Americans that hate black people. Sorry but I fail to see the contradiction.
What's your point then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia