Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
In HK and Taiwan, people mixed with whites are admired.

Mixed people rarely live in Korea due to discrimination.
Are you white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Eh not really. Half white/black/whichever colour kids could be bullied in Taiwan as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation is less severe here but that doesn't mean blatant racism is unheard of.
Half of anything are bullied anywhere in the world. Being mixed race in a mostly monoracial world isn't easy at all

Old 02-19-2017, 11:47 AM

387 posts, read 357,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
In HK and Taiwan, people mixed with whites are admired.

Mixed people rarely live in Korea due to discrimination.
Says the Chinese person who hates Korea. Speak for yourself.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:57 PM

17 posts, read 65,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I remember the kids in school use to name all the different ethnic groups they are mixed with like they were actually proud of being mixed?

I knew a hispanic guy from Mexico that used to tell me all the different races he was mixed with like he was proud of being mixed?

Mexican, Aztec, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, etc

the hispanic culture seems to be more accepting of mixed races / marriages? I guess similar to Filipino culture?

most asians would be insulted to be mixed with so many different groups like that, I noticed Filipinos often inter-marry with black people or white people, and less with another asian ethnic group.

possibly because of more similarities in Western culture , customs and religion, plus language, most filipinos can speak English.

Lol thats not true, the highest amount of mixed people in the Philippines are half japanese

Old 10-02-2023, 05:58 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
most asians would be insulted to be mixed with so many different groups like that, I noticed Filipinos often inter-marry with black people or white people, and less with another asian ethnic group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javen1 View Post
Lol thats not true, the highest amount of mixed people in the Philippines are half japanese
Perhaps because as outsiders looking in we can't distinguish between the different Asian ethnic mestizos. A recent child of a Korean, Chinese or Japanese DNA contributor will look like the progeny of the Chinese many generations down the line and the children assimilate. Where as the progeny of recent African, Black American or other European are more likely to stand out to us.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:46 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I remember the kids in school use to name all the different ethnic groups they are mixed with like they were actually proud of being mixed?

I knew a hispanic guy from Mexico that used to tell me all the different races he was mixed with like he was proud of being mixed?
You wanted him to be ashamed and hide under one label that excludes all the other parts that makes him, him even though that isn't reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya
the hispanic culture seems to be more accepting of mixed races / marriages?
It doesn't includes everybody, but for the most part yes. People aren't as hanged up about that, but they are more scrutinizing when it comes to your education level, whether you are a professional or not, etc.

Quote:
…most asians would be insulted to be mixed…
They need to work on that. Remember that the issue isn't what they are, but rather the people surrounding them and their ideas of how things "should be." Reality check: things don't always go according to plan or how people think they "should be," they evolve on their own account irrespective of what anyone thinks.

Quote:
I noticed Filipinos often inter-marry with black people or white people, and less with another asian ethnic group.
There are many Filipinos that still hold in high esteem being Spanish or of Spanish descent even if it isn't the only ancestry you have. A few years ago I had a medicsl energency and several of the nurses were Filipinos. One day one asked me if I'm Spanish (as in descend from Spaniards.) I had my cellphone with me at that timr, so I simply open my 23andme account and handed to her the phone showing the ancestry part. Didn't had to say a single word. I'm certain she told all the other nurses, especially the Filipinos like her. Guess what happened after that? All I will say is that I noticed a difference in treatment in a good way coming from them. On the dsy I was dispatched, a Filipino nurse that attended me only two days and wasn't assigned not even to the part of the hospital I was in, as soon other nurses told her I was being dispatched (this is typical, people will also recognize me while I have no idea who they are, lol) that day rushed to my room simply to say good bye.

If it wasn't for the fact The Philippines is so faraway, if that is a sign of how Filipinos are in general regarding this, I would had seriously condidered the place to live permanently. Certainly Manila would be among the top of that list.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Perhaps because as outsiders looking in we can't distinguish between the different Asian ethnic mestizos. A recent child of a Korean, Chinese or Japanese DNA contributor will look like the progeny of the Chinese many generations down the line and the children assimilate. Where as the progeny of recent African, Black American or other European are more likely to stand out to us.
Actually its quite easy to pick apart those mixed with chinese, korean, and japanese from each other. Out of those 3 , the ones who are half korean look the most northern and the least filipino.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:10 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javen1 View Post
Actually its quite easy to pick apart those mixed with chinese, korean, and japanese from each other. Out of those 3 , the ones who are half korean look the most northern and the least filipino.
I hear that all the time but I can't tell without hearing the family name. Folks on the streets attempt to communicate in their local dialect with tourist from all over Asia.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I hear that all the time but I can't tell without hearing the family name. Folks on the streets attempt to communicate in their local dialect with tourist from all over Asia.
Really ???
Out of the ,3 chinese-filipinos are the most likely to blend into the Philippine population
Gretchen Ho is like mostly chinese with minimal filipino blood, but she looks very filipino to me

Japanese-Filipina
I can still see filipina features, but still visibly foreign

Filipina-Korean halfie
She stick out in Philippines even though she is half native to the Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia