U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This is getting to be a ridiculous discussion. You know full well that clubbing dolphins is different from slaughtering cows. Yes, perhaps once the japanese can grow dolphins in pens and mass produce them, things might change slowly. But until then, the tradition is grotesque and barbaric.

As for intelligence, sure if you don't think it matters, then you should have no problem with cannibals boiling your family members alive for their traditional feast.
Just so you know pigs are known to have higher IQ than you beloved dog. Have you eaten pork?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM

4,683 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Just so you know pigs are known to have higher IQ than you beloved dog. Have you eaten pork?
Oh and you are just smarting from the fact that some of your peasant countrymen are proud of butchering dogs right out on the streets and their ugly faces are all over the world. Of course the Chinese would defend the Japanese tradition of slaughtering dolphins. I guess on this issue at least, the two can be allies.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:20 PM

919 posts, read 602,484 times
Quote:
This is getting to be a ridiculous discussion. You know full well that clubbing dolphins is different from slaughtering cows. Yes, perhaps once the japanese can grow dolphins in pens and mass produce them, things might change slowly. But until then, the tradition is grotesque and barbaric.
How is killing wild kangaroos in Australia different from killing wild dolphins then? Or how about killing wild foxes for fun? They are intelligent species as well.

Quote:
As for intelligence, sure if you don't think it matters, then you should have no problem with cannibals boiling your family members alive for their traditional feast.
I have no problem with cannibals boiling you alive for their traditional feast.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Oh and you are just smarting from the fact that some of your peasant countrymen are proud of butchering dogs right out on the streets and their ugly faces are all over the world. Of course the Chinese would defend the Japanese tradition of slaughtering dolphins. I guess on this issue at least, the two can be allies.
11 COUNTRIES WHICH STILL EAT DOG MEAT

China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Philippines, Polynesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Arctic and Antarctic and two cantons in Switzerland.

While I have a dog in my family and do hope no dogs would be eaten, but I don't call those who eat dogs barbarians.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
11 COUNTRIES WHICH STILL EAT DOG MEAT

China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Philippines, Polynesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Arctic and Antarctic and two cantons in Switzerland.

While I have a dog in my family and do hope no dogs would be eaten, but I don't call those who eat dogs barbarians.
Dogs are not eaten in Taiwan. At least not openly.

When I first arrived in Taiwan, dog meat (then known as 香肉) was openly sold and consumed, and people did not treat pet dogs well, at all, in general.

Today, people in Taiwan own dogs as pets and spoil them to extents difficult to believe. There is legislation protecting dogs (and other animals), and there are many advocacy groups that care for animals, such as stray dogs and cats, as well as thousands of 愛心 Mamas who take care of neighborhood dogs and cats.

If dogs are eaten in Taiwan today, it is very much an exception to the norm.

People are opposed to dog-eating in China because many people today feel a closer relationship with dogs, even in China, and thus feel it wrong to eat "man's best friend". This is really the argument/response to assertions that eating dogs is no different from eating pigs or kangaroos or dolphins/whales. Pigs and whales/dolphins are surely more intelligent than dogs. But, humans have a unique history of 100,000 years of companionship and partnership with dogs. We may have been raising pigs for several thousand years, but, we do not have the same history of companionship and partnership with pigs that we have with dogs.

In fact, one of the latest theories as to why humans continued to thrive even as the neanderthal began to decline and eventually become extinct is that humans and dogs partnered and this partnership aided humans with hunting, farming, and security. Its just a theory, but, its plausible.

Whether you buy into that theory, or believe that dogs are somehow different from whales and pigs in terms of eating them, it is truly sickening the way dogs are killed in Korea and China for human consumption. Much has been made of the horror of corporate farming in the US, and rightly so. But, as bad as mass farming of animals is in the US, it pales in comparison to the absolute cruel savagery of dog slaughter in Korea and China. In Korea and China, it is believed among those who eat dogs, that the dogs should be butchered in as painful a manner as possible, as doing so is believed to make the meat taste better.

I am well aware of the role that culture plays in shaping our respective beliefs and behaviors. Yet, I cannot comprehend how anyone can string a live dog up on a pole and beat it to near death and then skin it alive so that certain chemicals will be released by the dog into its bloodstream as the dog suffers unimaginable agony and terror make the meat taste better.

That's just freaking sickening, in my opinion.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Dogs are not eaten in Taiwan. At least not openly.

When I first arrived in Taiwan, dog meat (then known as 香肉) was openly sold and consumed, and people did not treat pet dogs well, at all, in general.

Today, people in Taiwan own dogs as pets and spoil them to extents difficult to believe. There is legislation protecting dogs (and other animals), and there are many advocacy groups that care for animals, such as stray dogs and cats, as well as thousands of 愛心 Mamas who take care of neighborhood dogs and cats.

If dogs are eaten in Taiwan today, it is very much an exception to the norm.
There are still plenty of stray dogs on the streets though, and they bite people hahahahaha. There was an American(or British? I don't remember) woman bit by stray dogs while she was jogging in the countryside or something like several weeks ago and it went straight on the news. Must have been a horrible experience for her.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There are still plenty of stray dogs on the streets though, and they bite people hahahahaha. There was an American(or British? I don't remember) woman bit by stray dogs while she was jogging in the countryside or something like several weeks ago and it went straight on the news. Must have been a horrible experience for her.
I had been bit by a dog in Ali mountain

Still, I love dogs and have one in my family, who was brought from Shanghai to Japan by us.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTheRoman View Post
Why is it still needed today? Maybe hundreds of years ago when life was much more primitive and food wasn't readily available, but today?
Tell me why dolphins are so different than other species, such as kangaroos, cows, pigs, dogs, foxes, fish, crabs, wheat, rice.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,232,517 times
The manner in which the dolphins are killed looks brutal it looks like these particular dolphins die a slow miserable death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_JhFNdFGk

Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
I mentioned many times that I don't condone inhuman treatment of animals, any animals, including dogs or pigs or dragonflies.

However, eating dog meat is completely fine with me. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically discriminated animals based on "intelligence" or cultural bias or sheer personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or