U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 AM

4,371 posts, read 1,812,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The manner in which the dolphins are killed looks brutal it looks like these particular dolphins die a slow miserable death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_JhFNdFGk
All animals harvested for meat are killed brutally. I could find a video of a chicken slaughterhouse with ominous music and that could make killing chickens look bad. There is nothing wrong with whaling or harvesting dolphins for meat. I am sure the Japanese follow strict standards when it comes to hunting to keep the population in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTheRoman View Post
Yanagisawa obviously is in favor of the gathering and senseless slaughter of the dolphins. To each their own I guess...

I stand against it. Why? Not for religion - I have no clue what that aspect has to do with this - but for need.

Why is it still needed today? Maybe hundreds of years ago when life was much more primitive and food wasn't readily available, but today? With supermarkets and grocery stores all over the place, what's the point? What kind of "tradition" teaches their people to go and slaughter innocent marine mammals for... what? Why? I don't get it...

I'm imagining how a parent would be addressing this to their kids..

"So exciting! Today we get to go to the bay and join in the killing of the dolphins!"

"Why mommy? Did they do something bad to the village?"

"What's the matter with you? These dolphins are (insert archaic and stupid reason here - the reincarnation of the boogey monster, etc.) so they need to be eliminated and eaten! It's been something your forefathers have been doing for hundreds of years so it is not our place to QUESTION it!"

"Oh, okay mommy, let's go kill dolphins! Yay!!!"
that's some ridiculous argument.

What is need? Do Americans NEED to eat millions of tons of beef every year? I don't think so. No one will die or become malnutritioned for not eating beef.

You are personally against only because it is not your culture and you don't see the point of killing dolphins. The Hindus don't see the point of killing and eating cows either, why don't you think of that?

Nobody seems to answer this question.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
The manner in which the dolphins are killed looks brutal it looks like these particular dolphins die a slow miserable death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_JhFNdFGk
yeah, I am sure all the cows and chickens killed in the west died with a smile on their faces.

Animal cruelty is despicable, but let's not pretend that "the way we kill animals against their will for the protein is so much nobler". That's laughable.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,236,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, I am sure all the cows and chickens killed in the west died with a smile on their faces.

Animal cruelty is despicable, but let's not pretend that "the way we kill animals against their will for the protein is so much nobler". That's laughable.

I have seen videos of the slaughtering methods of Cows and how chickens are handled prior to slaughter I don't agree with those methods. How does that make the video I posted laughable? I fail to see the humor.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,102,358 times
Quote:
I have seen videos of the slaughtering methods of Cows and how chickens are handled prior to slaughter I don't agree with those methods. How does that make the video I posted laughable? I fail to see the humor.
He did not say that the video you posted is laughable. He stated that pretending that "the way we kill animals against their will for the protein is so much nobler" is laughable.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
He did not say that the video you posted is laughable. He stated that pretending that "the way we kill animals against their will for the protein is so much nobler" is laughable.
Yes I see that now thanks.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:55 PM

919 posts, read 602,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This.

Actually Americans kill whales which belong to endangered species every year as well.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
I'm a vegetarian, so I think the lot ofnyou are sick

Seriously though... go look up what a "chick macerator" is and you'll see that barbarism towards animals that we think of as cute and cuddly isn't isolated to Asian nations.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
This.

Actually Americans kill whales which belong to endangered species every year as well.
I believe you are referring to Whale hunting by Alaska natives in nine communities they hunt 75 whales yearly. The practice has much opposition. However they have much more respect for the animals they kill than the Japanese dolphin hunters who appear to have absolutely no regard that dolphins are sentient. They also are unable to raise beef/chickens etc. where they live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAqEK7K5oCQ

Last edited by AFP; 09-21-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 04:08 AM

919 posts, read 602,846 times
Quote:
I believe you are referring to Whale hunting by Alaska natives in nine communities they hunt 75 whales yearly. The practice has much opposition. However they have much more respect for the animals they kill than the Japanese dolphin hunters who appear to have absolutely no regard that dolphins are sentient. They also are unable to raise beef/chickens etc. where they live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAqEK7K5oCQ
The species is in danger of extinction. How do you feel about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or