U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2015, 03:33 AM
 
919 posts, read 605,057 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Phonetics does play a part in literacy...

Literacy - Country Comparison

Lets compare
Taiwan (96.1%)
China (95.1%)
Vietnam (93.4%)
While I know a little bit about linguistics, but I don't know what the phonetics mean here.

BTW, according to the list:

Peru (89.6%)
Brazil (90.4%)
Malta (92.4%)
Indonesia (92.8%)
South Africa (93%)
Malaysia (93.1%)

May I insist they should use Chinese characters instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Going back to my original topic, I think if Bopomofo was widely taught/used in the 1920s there is no doubt you could have lifted people out of poverty quicker...information is power!
Information is power. And I believe a Chinese character conveys more info than an alphabet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Having said all that I appreciate the Chinese character system was setup to unify all dialects and education back then was reserved for the upperclass and also academics....not exactly designed to be universal. It was used as a somewhat "upperclass" trait...to differentiate classes. It served it's purpose, back then...a few hundred years ago!
I'm sorry but I'm lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,783 posts, read 5,142,063 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Well Vietnamese is a shining example of a successful model/transition.
Lets compare
Taiwan (96.1%)
China (95.1%)
Vietnam (93.4%)
These data are so old, and exactly how can this be interpreted as Vietnam having a "successful transition"? Loads of countries using Latin alphabets have way lower literacy than countries that use "exotic" characters.

Quote:
Would you tell me what field are you in?
I'm not working so I'm not in any field.

All this talk about how the Chinese language should go Romanised is quite ridiculous. It's the oldest writing system in the entire world which is still being used and it's doing fine at the moment, with a really large number of native speakers. What's the point of "updating" it, exactly?

Frankly if you find a language "too hard", you are probably not that interested in it and would never really learn it. So why bother? It's not like it's all that useful.

Last edited by Greysholic; 11-23-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,541 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Reputation: 3375
I always round this interesting even though i'm for romanization

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
 
277 posts, read 206,216 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
These data are so old, and exactly how can this be interpreted as Vietnam having a "successful transition"? Loads of countries using Latin alphabets have way lower literacy than countries that use "exotic" characters.


I'm not working so I'm not in any field.

All this talk about how the Chinese language should go Romanised is quite ridiculous. It's the oldest writing system in the entire world which is still being used and it's doing fine at the moment, with a really large number of native speakers. What's the point of "updating" it, exactly?

Frankly if you find a language "too hard", you are probably not that interested in it and would never really learn it. So why bother? It's not like it's all that useful.
Zhuyin/Bopomofo is not a romanised system, it is a phonetic system to sound out Chinese characters much like hiragana for kanji.


The beauty is it keeps the Chinese look and feel to it whilst having the benefit of a sound guide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,783 posts, read 5,142,063 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Zhuyin/Bopomofo is not a romanised system, it is a phonetic system to sound out Chinese characters much like hiragana for kanji.


The beauty is it keeps the Chinese look and feel to it whilst having the benefit of a sound guide...
I was referring to this post,
Quote:
romanize the characters

It was done in vietnam and have a crapload of more tones than mandarin.
and many other posts in this thread.

And I don't see the point of only using bopomofo either. It's gonna look super dumb. There are lots of Taiwanese who use bopomofo for very commonly used words, such as ㄇ for 嗎, ㄅ for 不 et cetera, on internet. I can't stand those idiots, and I know many other people who hate it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,177 times
Reputation: 508
Actually, Chinese characters mixed with phonetic symbols (usually Latin alphabet) are applied by internet users to write dialects too.
I also saw some Uyghurs insert Chinese characters in their Arabic script.

I heard South Korea will introduce Chinese characters in their Korean language textbooks next year. Students are not required to memorize the Chinese characters but it helps to distinguish some homophones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,218,175 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I heard South Korea will introduce Chinese characters in their Korean language textbooks next year. Students are not required to memorize the Chinese characters but it helps to distinguish some homophones.
That's nothing new actually. I have 2 Korean friends, and they were required to learn "hanja" in school and they are in their 20s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,177 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's nothing new actually. I have 2 Korean friends, and they were required to learn "hanja" in school and they are in their 20s
The new plan is to show Chinese characters together with Korean script whenever possible. Not just to learn a few hundred Chinese characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 03:13 AM
 
277 posts, read 206,216 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
The new plan is to show Chinese characters together with Korean script whenever possible. Not just to learn a few hundred Chinese characters.
I see no usefulness of learning Chinese characters/Hanja...this is a step backwards if you ask me.

C'mon its the 21st century with everything being easier and digitalised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:04 PM
 
919 posts, read 605,057 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
And I don't see the point of only using bopomofo either. It's gonna look super dumb. There are lots of Taiwanese who use bopomofo for very commonly used words, such as ㄇ for 嗎, ㄅ for 不 et cetera, on internet. I can't stand those idiots, and I know many other people who hate it as well.
Many people use abbreviations. BTW, what does BTW stands for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top