U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:12 PM

919 posts, read 604,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I see no usefulness of learning Chinese characters/Hanja...this is a step backwards if you ask me.

C'mon its the 21st century with everything being easier and digitalised!
한겨레 has eliminated Hanja from their articles. You can support it.

I can't stop laughing after reading degitalised BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 AM

277 posts, read 205,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
한겨레 has eliminated Hanja from their articles. You can support it.

I can't stop laughing after reading degitalised BTW.
eh? Don't get it...

Old 11-27-2015, 01:40 AM

9,628 posts, read 5,955,975 times
I don't know what bopomofo is, but if the idea is to make the Chinese language (or any language) be more like English then it'd be a GIANT FAIL.

English is a horrible language. It's my first language so I'm not saying it lightly. English grammar is purposely designed to be convoluted - so that in ancient times, only the aristocratic class could speak it properly, while the commoners all sounded stupid. It is a highly inefficient language - it takes way too many words to express something very basic. Lastly, it is a boring language - nothing put me to sleep more effectively than listening to English. Something about the way that it is spoken - very even keel, dull, emotionaless (compared to other language). Take Spanish for example, even if you don't know the language you can just get the emotion by just listening to the tone spoken. It's colorful and it's expressive. English is the opposite.

In summary, English is convoluted, inefficient, and dull. The one thing that it has going for it, is that it was spread all over the world via English colonization and subsequently American media, so it's wide spread. But being wide spread doesn't mean it's a good language.

Bottom, don't confuse the popularity of a language with superiority. A lot of the inferior things are very popular.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
eh? Don't get it...
Why do you think Chinese characters are not digitized?

數碼化 and 数字化 are digitized.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Bottom, don't confuse the popularity of a language with superiority. A lot of the inferior things are very popular.
Well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or