U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,079,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrychen View Post
- India is the same to UAE,

how could that be? UAE is Arab and rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 04:01 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,603,076 times
A land of contradictions, a country that exemplifies both the grandest of opulence and some of the worst of poverty. Nevertheless it's a country I would very much like to visit someday...

Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 AM

1,268 posts, read 623,229 times
I have no negative opinions of Indians. I have met many in school, college, and work. They were all friendly people who came off slightly insular at first. I am sure, like everywhere else, India has its share of both good and bad individuals.

India is a different matter. I have not visited, but I find the extreme income inequality, poor infastructue, and lack of public services I have read about alarming. I feel the loss of the caste system was a good first step, but it will take time to effect real change on the populace.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:28 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
I feel each year you wait to go visit India, it will get better with age. I'd like to see it someday, but it'll probably be a while before I do, because India in 20 years would probably be much nicer.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:29 PM

17,251 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I feel each year you wait to go visit India, it will get better with age. I'd like to see it someday, but it'll probably be a while before I do, because India in 20 years would probably be much nicer.
It will very likely be better. But there will still be massive, in-your-face inequality.

That is not going away anytime soon. It is too ingrained.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:04 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,049,264 times
My impression is that the rest of the world is very ignorant of India's complexity and diversity. I wish I knew more about India's regions.

A trip to India is on my list of things to do someday.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:02 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,813,549 times
Yea I've been to India. The extreme poverty and aggressive panhandlers and merchants soured an otherwise interesting trip. I liked the rural areas the most the cities were very chaotic.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:28 PM

952 posts, read 1,078,665 times
India is on my short list of places I'd like to visit sometime. The scenery, variety, and food are all enticing. The inequity and squalor, on the other hand, is not.

As far as Indian people, from a customer service perspective, Indians tend to be the most difficult of any group to please. However, if you are able to provide them service up to their standards, they'll treat you better than any other ethnic group. As a general rule, outside of customer service, most Indians i've interacted with are incredibly friendly.

I have developed friendships with several Indians (in high school, in college, and after). It seems that the younger the age one came to the US, the friendlier one is. For example, one of my best friends came to the US from India as a child and she's one of the sweetest, most loyal, and most fun loving people I've ever met. 1st Generation Indians born in the US seem to be almost completely acclimated to US culture.

The one thing that I have noticed is that Indians (moreso than almost any other Asian culture) seem to have issues with Indian females dating non-Indian males. My friend, who I mentioned before, is petrified (and in fact has refused) to tell her parents about relationships she has had with non-Indian males after her parents strongly disapproved of her first inter-racial relationship. I've read online similar situations where Indian women are "shamed" for dating non-Indian males and in fact, other than my friend and her cousin, I haven't noticed a lot of Indian female relationships with non-Indian men.

The reverse is not true. I know of several Indian men who have married or have dated non-Indian women. This type of relationship seems quite common and doesn't seem to carry the same social "stigma" in Indian culture as Indian women dating non-Indian men.

I absolutely love Indian food and have had pretty good service in most Indian restaurants I've been to.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM

653 posts, read 540,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleDeSilicon View Post
I'm of Indian descent and I'm curious about this.

Judging by a lot of comments on various forums and websites, it seems to have become fashionable to talk negative about India and Indians in the wake of reports of various social problems the country has (which I'm fully aware of and need to be resolved or addressed), such as rape, poverty, caste system, etc. So much so that the most popular opinions often seem to be ones which have a contemptuous or even hostile view of the country and people. Even though there are some things I don't like about Indian culture (as well as some things I like), I still find such comments disheartening. People seem to make blanket judgments, with others agreeing with them (this can easily be seen through upvotes vs. downvotes on websites such as reddit and Yahoo! News).

To that end, does anyone still have a mostly positive opinion? Also, as this is the Asia forum, how do you view India in comparison to countries such as China, Japan, Thailand, or Pakistan?

And in your experience do you find Indians different in behavior when compared to other ethnicities?

Again, I'm asking this purely out of curiosity and wanted to get this off my chest.
There are many different groups of Indians, so many different races, ethnicities and religions; and all are very different from one another; so I really can't generalize.

I worked with Patels before and found them to be very smart, adaptable and business savvy. As a Singaporean, I deeply admire Murthy of Infosys; if India has more like him, it would be a far more powerful country.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:28 AM

16 posts, read 13,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
There are many different groups of Indians, so many different races, ethnicities and religions; and all are very different from one another; so I really can't generalize.

I worked with Patels before and found them to be very smart, adaptable and business savvy. As a Singaporean, I deeply admire Murthy of Infosys; if India has more like him, it would be a far more powerful country.

Yes , Murty's Infosys is valued in billions today interesting thing is he started the company after borrowing 10,000 rupees (250 $) from his wife.
You are right in saying that India needs more entrepreneurs.Most of the population is satisfied with mediocre jobs with mediocre salary , they dont mind living with their parents through out their life and getting an arranged marriage.
With more risk takers , indigenous capital formation can lead to less dependency on foreign investments.

This current generation is more into entrepreneurship and things do look bright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or