U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM

2,735 posts, read 916,921 times

Advertisements

Another thing about Yokohama is, it's got tons of cool things to see and do, just as much as Tokyo. And they have the Yokohama Bay built up with lots of great things to see and do. If you're into walking around, you could walk from the Yokohama train station to China Town and over to the giant ferris wheel (Cosmo Clock) and roller coaster (originally Yes '89 Yokohama Expo) and all the cool places in between. Plus, that area is like one giant city. If you're in Yokohama and you work your way into down town Tokyo, it's like traveling through one continuous giant city. If it wasn't for road signs, you'd think you were traveling through just one big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 AM

1,880 posts, read 3,141,833 times
Thanks I might take a day trip over to Yokohama. I read about the Chinatown there, I think I read it's the oldest Chinatown in Japan.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks I might take a day trip over to Yokohama. I read about the Chinatown there, I think I read it's the oldest Chinatown in Japan.
I think it's the only Chinatown in Japan. At least the only one I'm aware of.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Actually just did an on-line research and there are a total of three in Japan. One in Kobe and another in Nagasaki. I've only been to the one in Yokohama, which is also the closest one to Tokyo. But apparently the Nagasaki Chinatown is the oldest of the three, because of the port there.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4404.html

The Yokohama Chinatown is, however, the largest of all the Chinatowns in Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3201.html

Interesting thing about the Yokohama Chinatown is how much kimchi they sell. I've been to China and Hong Kong quite a bit and never seen kimchi during my trips there. Only in South Korea have I seen kimchi. But I found it interesting that a Chinatown in Japan would have such a strong emphasis on kimchi.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-17-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 09:00 PM

1,880 posts, read 3,141,833 times
Is there anything to worry about in terms of radiation exposure visiting Japan stemming from the nuclear reactor issues back in 2011? Or is that completely a non-issue?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Is there anything to worry about in terms of radiation exposure visiting Japan stemming from the nuclear reactor issues back in 2011? Or is that completely a non-issue?
Tokyo is quite a distance from where that occurred. Risk is very low, so nothing really to worry about.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 8,858,788 times
Quote:
OK thanks. It sounds like Shibuya or Shinjuku may be the best places. Someone else suggested Roppongi, are Shibuya or Shinjuku better places than Roppongi? Thank you for the suggestion of the Yamanote Line train station.

I plan to take some day trips from Tokyo. Can trips to Nikko, Matsumoto, Hakone, Kamakura be done as day trips from Japan? Or should I stay overnight in these towns?
I recommend staying in Shinjuku because there are plenty more inexpensive business hotels (about $100 USD on average). Roppongi hotels tend to be more pricey (Grand Hyatt and similar to that). Also, Shinjuku Station has a lot of direct train access to all over the metro Tokyo area. In fact, it's the busiest train station in the world. Shinjuku is my favorite area of Tokyo. In Nishi-Shinjuku (West Shinjuku), you can find anything you want within blocks. My favorite sushi restaurant is there.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,060,953 times
That's a tough question, because Tokyo is truly ginormous. Central is generally better, though, for convenience.

To simplify your decision, I'd advise you to choose a "ward" with the sort of attractions that you are most interested in visiting. Shinjuku (home of the downtown "pop culture" scene), Shibuya (lively shopping and nightlife district), Chuo (home of Ginza, more upscale shopping), Chiyoda (home of Akihabara, the "tech district") are some of the most popular destinations.

Each ward is kind of like its own city, with a core area surrounded by outlying neighbourhoods.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,060,953 times
Quote:
Yokohama? Nahhh... if you want to take a day trip, go to Kyoto (rich in ancient history and landmarks, very picturesque), or even visit Mt. Fuji.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM

I've done a number of trips via Shinkansen from New Yokohama station to Kyoto/Osaka and back in one day and I'm telling you, those are not as fun compared to making it a two or more day trip. It takes roughly 2 and a half hours one way between Tokyo and Kyoto via Shinkansen first off. And then you basically have to hustle all over the place to try and see as much as possible after getting there, and then get back to the Shinkansen on time. The important must see places are not all grouped together, it takes some time to get to each location. And if you want to go into the Osaka Castle, for example, from the time you step foot on the grounds to the time you get up to the top of the castle, that is anywhere from 1 and a half to 2 and a half hours right there. Making a one day trip out of Kyoto/Osaka is just cheating yourself cause you won't have time to really see a whole lot. I've done many one day trips up there and they were not as much as enjoyable as when I do a two or more day trip up there. And round trip Shinkanen tickets are between $250 and $350 USD. That's a high price just to go to Kyoto/Osaka only to come back the same day. Tickets are sold by seat number so it's not like the local train system where if you miss one you just wait for the next. You will need to hope that there's an open seat on the next train(s) in order to get back, if you happen to miss the train you purchased a seat on.

But that's besides the point. The person is staying in the Tokyo area and is asking about that specific area. A decent one day trip would be Kamakura if they are wanting to see some awesome shrines and temples. And a one day trip to Kamakura is still a little rush because so much to see and it's spread out pretty good. A good idea is to choose a specific area or place to see and make it a one day trip. For example, make going to the Tokyo Sky Tree a one day trip. And then just take your time, go to that place and enjoy everything along the way. Another cool thing to see is the Fuji TV building in Odaiba. We took the train there, spent a few hours at that location, then took our time returning by taking a ferry at dusk back to the Ginza to walk around during the evening for a few more hours. The Tokyo Tower at night during the ferry trip was awesome. That right there was a total one day trip and exhausting.

Enjoy the time spent on the trip.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-24-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia