U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,863,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenehaven View Post
Hanoi was the wildest big city I have been to in Asia. Driving, cafes, bars & shopping. Lots of young people & new high rise buildings under construction. Of course, down the road Halong Bay was very nice.
Now that's entertaining !
Your recollection sounds very space age dreamy. Hanoi is starting to sound equal to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh with unique vibrant atmosphere.

Is there really an equivalent Independent Cafe scene compared to Saigon? Including nightlife, and bars? They aren't identical cities between the North vs. South, so I assume they don't have too many common similarities. Halong Bay, and Hoi An are very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Despite China's recent, much-lauded economic slide, life continues here more or less unabated. There hasn't been any perceptible change in life on the ground, here. People still have jobs, stuff is still being built, etc.

Buildings are filling up a bit slower than before; a mall near me has been open a year and is barely occupied, and this is in the CBD. The top three newest and most expensive condo developments here are all about 5% filled, however, more sensibly-priced, normal-people condos are selling alright.
People never expect absolute desolation in any of those Chinese mega city malls. Why are these malls relatively failing? Is China getting more nightclubs, cafes, and Independent Business Stores?

Compared to before 1990s-2000, Chinese society encountered dramatic alteration over and over again and at the hidden core is barely recognizable compared to more than 5 years ago.

Shenzhen from a village to a city of 10 million within 3 decades captures my breathe away.

At least those architecture buildings are expanding upon the Asian urban landscapes, despite too much vacancy.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Are you some kind of researcher or something? These are pretty interesting questions you raised!
Yeah, I researched this information before posting, and remembering what I know on these various countries.

Singapore is actually the wealthiest country in the entire World according to percentage of millionaires. Around 15-20% of the entire population have millionaire household assets.
Singapore No. 1 For Millionaires
17% of Singapore households are millionaires, Singapore Property News, Singapore Property Guides & Articles - STProperty

What is Singapore's Independent Cafe scene like compared to Vietnam, and the nightlife? Everyone is telling me the nightlife is better than expected in Singapore. Wow, Zouk nightclub is really World Class over there http://a.djmag.com/sites/default/fil...ge/ZOUK623.jpg

I believe Vietnam has the best Independent Cafe scene with Wifi around all of Asia. Because of French colonialism, and they peacefully reject starbucks. Saigon's Wifi Cafe scene ironically might be the best in the entire World.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuyen View Post
With what you said, I wonder why more and more expats/foreigners moved/are moving to Vietnam,
specially in Ho Chi Minh city, and specially here, where I live - Thao Dien, District 2, Ho Chi Minh city.

They came here to work or open businesses, many of them being English teachers.
Every foreigner I know only says nice things on Vietnam and love visiting. They never regret their time there, and say the experience is spiritually rewarding ultra unique.

Vietnam is peaceful, and entertaining. Despite the economic statistics, areas of Vietnam is thriving, and the Vietnamese Dong currency makes people feel wealthier than they really are.

Independent Business Stores of Vietnam are some of the best in the entire World for any country because they ironically have relatively relaxed laws to start up, and operate a business. They reject the negative versions of Globalization with a euphoric lack of chains. Common to Romania, except even more, and Asian version.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrychen View Post
Vietnam seems to have the best World Class Independent Cafe wifi scene more than any other Asian nation lately. I wonder why?
1/ Vietnam is one of the biggest coffee export countries, so it's a cheap coffee source to open Cafe
2/ Chatting at Cafe' is Vietnamese young people's favourite
3/ To many others, they like to talk business at Cafe'
4/ Vietnamese always want to own business and opening a Cafe' is one of the most easiest way
These are my opinion.
Wow, extremely accurate demographic information. Finally making rational sense why Vietnam's Independent Cafe atmosphere is really a utopia.

Is this a ubiquitous phenomenon all over Vietnam, including with Wifi? Or only Saigon?

Going to Independent Cafes is my everyday life. I hang out there many hours lots of times, including today.

A travel blog is acknowledging Saigon's version of a Cafe utopia: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam | Nomadic Notes

I just can't believe all of these Cafes are really in Vietnam! They look really French. And guess what? Even France doesn't really have such nice Cafes all the time, or even people using their Laptop Computers at Wifi Cafes. Not even in Paris or Nice French Mediterranean when traveled there. Those cafes are there, yet not as common as anyone would expect with mainland France. How is Vietnam ending up more French with the Wifi Cafe Scene than France?

District 1 Saigon 1. Cosmo Cafe, 2. ID Cafe, 3. The Morning Coffee, 4. Bang Khuang, 5. Thoai Vien, 6. Kamakura, 7. Cucuta Coffee, 8. Windows 4 Cafe, 9. La Fenetre Soleil(Chandelier and Disco Ball Inside!), 10. Loft Cafe, 11. Time Coffee & Foods, 12. Chez Vous Coffee House, 13. Ahn Coffee, 14. Press Corner Cafe, 15. Coffee Viva, 16.Cafe Chai-Bottle Coffee, 17. 2no Coffee, 18. The Coffee Factory, 19. 42 Cafe, 20. AQ Coffee, and 21. Soho Coffee Lounge are all of my favorite ones on the Blog. Each one is really unique, and World Class. They all have Laptop Computer Wireless Internet every customer.

Saigon Vietnam might have the best Wifi Independent Cafe atmosphere in the entire World right now!

I don't know any Cafe in Europe or North America selling Vietnamese coffee.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:53 AM

109 posts, read 66,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Vietnam actually ranks well on Global Peace Index, and people feeling happy there.
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/site...ce%20Index.jpg
http://www.turkeyandtheworld.com/wp-...Index-2012.jpg
https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/no...iest-countries

Every Vietnamese person I met is very proud, and nationalistic on their home country of Southeast Asia. They even deeply miss Vietnam plenty of times when staying in countries such as the USA and telling heart filled stories on their time in Vietnam wanting to go back.

I know Vietnam is not one of the wealthiest Asian countries around, yet their currency is extremely incredible with the astronomical inflation making them feel wealthier. 1 American Dollar is literally $22,281 Vietnamese Dong(22 Thousand-23 Thousand), $50 USD = $1,114,050, $100 = $2,228,100, $1,000 American = 22,281,000, and $50,000 USD $1,113,050,000.

Without a doubt, Vietnam is one of the very entertaining Asian nations. All of the magic is there.
Absolutely, it can be said, Vietnam is still poor country with average incom/year is low (eg, salary/month of new state employees who work in government apparatus is around 3-4.000.000 VND = $150 - $200 USD) but they're optimistic and satisfy with their life.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 AM

109 posts, read 66,684 times
Quote:
Wow, extremely accurate demographic information. Finally making rational sense why Vietnam's Independent Cafe atmosphere is really a utopia.

Is this a ubiquitous phenomenon all over Vietnam, including with Wifi? Or only Saigon?

Going to Independent Cafes is my everyday life. I hang out there many hours lots of times, including today.

A travel blog is acknowledging Saigon's version of a Cafe utopia: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam | Nomadic Notes

I just can't believe all of these Cafes are really in Vietnam! They look really French. And guess what? Even France doesn't really have such nice Cafes all the time, or even people using their Laptop Computers at Wifi Cafes. Not even in Paris or Nice French Mediterranean when traveled there. Those cafes are there, yet not as common as anyone would expect with mainland France. How is Vietnam ending up more French with the Wifi Cafe Scene than France?

District 1 Saigon 1. Cosmo Cafe, 2. ID Cafe, 3. The Morning Coffee, 4. Bang Khuang, 5. Thoai Vien, 6. Kamakura, 7. Cucuta Coffee, 8. Windows 4 Cafe, 9. La Fenetre Soleil(Chandelier and Disco Ball Inside!), 10. Loft Cafe, 11. Time Coffee & Foods, 12. Chez Vous Coffee House, 13. Ahn Coffee, 14. Press Corner Cafe, 15. Coffee Viva, 16.Cafe Chai-Bottle Coffee, 17. 2no Coffee, 18. The Coffee Factory, 19. 42 Cafe, 20. AQ Coffee, and 21. Soho Coffee Lounge are all of my favorite ones on the Blog. Each one is really unique, and World Class. They all have Laptop Computer Wireless Internet every customer.

Saigon Vietnam might have the best Wifi Independent Cafe atmosphere in the entire World right now!

I don't know any Cafe in Europe or North America selling Vietnamese coffee.
Oh yes, it is this a ubiquitous phenomenon all over Vietnam, including with Wifi, not only in Saigon. How long had you been in Vietnam? I guess you only was in Saigon.
I can explain why there are many Cafes - style French.
1/ Vietnam, specific Saigon has long time occupied by French and America. It maybe Saigon's culture is effected by French and America.
2/ Nowadays, there are a large number of tourists from over the world visit Vietnam, top of these is French, Russia. There is demand also have supply. Cafes are opened to serve them.
3/ I guess who own these French cafes, have knowledgeable of French (eg, oversea students)

Old 10-17-2015, 02:41 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,376,732 times
Quote:
People never expect absolute desolation in any of those Chinese mega city malls. Why are these malls relatively failing? Is China getting more nightclubs, cafes, and Independent Business Stores?

Compared to before 1990s-2000, Chinese society encountered dramatic alteration over and over again and at the hidden core is barely recognizable compared to more than 5 years ago.

Shenzhen from a village to a city of 10 million within 3 decades captures my breathe away.

At least those architecture buildings are expanding upon the Asian urban landscapes, despite too much vacancy.
A few years ago, it was more or less an economic free for all, not much different from the US in the mid-aughts. When the malls opened, there were often no move in fees, so you could rent a shop in a major mall for 2500RMB/mo and your move in cost was 5k or 7500. Rents went up, shops failed, the leaseholders subleased to others for market price, so now you have people who make 10k/mo for nothing other than having been dumb enough to sign a 10 year lease for a failed business. People tried to jump on this ship, and now, in many cases, before a mall or building with commercial space opens up, people will bid on shops they don't intend to open, and then sublease them for exorbitant prices. They will rent for, say, 100-150RMB per sq/m, and then sublease for 250-300.

For example, there's a district of Guangzhou called Pazhou. The government has poured billions into making it a new CBD, built an enormous complex for The Canton Fair, and built skyscrapers to lease to big hotel chains. They finished a new, modern housing development with hundreds of shops on a three-story, semi-outdoor shopping promenade. Only maybe 20 or so are occupied, though all are rented. I looked at a few of them (lots of foreigners are moving to the area and it'd be great to open up a restaurant there), but all of them are renting for the same price per sq/m as the current CBD. They are also charging "transfer fees" of 40 to 50k, meaning that your minimum move-in cost is about 60 to 80k RMB, or about 10 to 12k USD, which is well outside the reach of the average Chinese person looking to open a shop. The irony is that this stupidity and greed has caused the local real estate values to stagnate and delayed further completion of the development, making it less likely anyone will actually rent any of the shops which would increase the value. Derp.

It certainly does improve and modernize the local skylines, and is cool to see happening. My exercise cycling route takes me through Pazhou, and it is surreal riding through an area with 30+ story skyscrapers, schools, malls, gardens, etc that are almost totally vacant.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:43 AM

653 posts, read 541,541 times
Quote:
Yeah, I researched this information before posting, and remembering what I know on these various countries.

Singapore is actually the wealthiest country in the entire World according to percentage of millionaires. Around 15-20% of the entire population have millionaire household assets.
17% of Singapore households are millionaires, Singapore Property News, Singapore Property Guides & Articles - STProperty

What is Singapore's Independent Cafe scene like compared to Vietnam, and the nightlife? Everyone is telling me the nightlife is better than expected in Singapore. Wow, Zouk nightclub is really World Class over there http://a.djmag.com/sites/default/fil...ge/ZOUK623.jpg

I believe Vietnam has the best Independent Cafe scene with Wifi around all of Asia. Because of French colonialism, and they peacefully reject starbucks. Saigon's Wifi Cafe scene ironically might be the best in the entire World.
Yeah, most of the billionaires and millionaires are not local Singaporeans but imported from the rest of the world: Mainland Chinese tycoons, Malaysian Chinese tycoons, Indonesian-Chinese obligarchs, rich Indian tycoons, tycoons all over from USA and Europe looking to park their wealth, so long as they meet their tax obligations.

Singapore's independent cafe scene exists but suffering from high rentals from landlords. A city like Brisbane has a more active cafe scene than Singapore; only the big-chains like Starbucks and Coffeebean are striving along.

Singapore's nightlife is fantastic - and expensive. I have been to clubbing spots in some parts of the world and Singapore is pretty good but it really burns a hole in your pocket. Places like St James, Zouk, Attica, Butter Factory; mainly young executives with disposable money to burn and rich expats going crazy on expat packages. But the DJs are good and the alcohol mix, while horrifyingly expansive, is not bad. Mainly people letting off steam; Mon to sat of stress-filled days, so they go crazy from Sat 10 pm to Sun 5 am.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:54 AM

653 posts, read 541,541 times
Quote:

Quote:
Every foreigner I know only says nice things on Vietnam and love visiting. They never regret their time there, and say the experience is spiritually rewarding ultra unique.

Vietnam is peaceful, and entertaining. Despite the economic statistics, areas of Vietnam is thriving, and the Vietnamese Dong currency makes people feel wealthier than they really are.

Independent Business Stores of Vietnam are some of the best in the entire World for any country because they ironically have relatively relaxed laws to start up, and operate a business. They reject the negative versions of Globalization with a euphoric lack of chains. Common to Romania, except even more, and Asian version.
I have never been to Vietnam before but I have worked very closely with a lot of different migrants from different nations and cultures in Singapore (there are a relatively speaking variety of different migrants in Singapore. I never had any problems working with Vietnamese, they are the most hardworking of all among all the people I have worked with in Singapore, with an extremely high sense of self-learning and initiative, compared to local Singaporeans and all of the other migrant groups in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or