U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2015, 04:06 AM
 
919 posts, read 602,586 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Most people are trying to get out if they could.
Actually, most countries are like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2015, 02:57 AM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 539,814 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
People never expect absolute desolation in any of those Chinese mega city malls. Why are these malls relatively failing? Is China getting more nightclubs, cafes, and Independent Business Stores?

Compared to before 1990s-2000, Chinese society encountered dramatic alteration over and over again and at the hidden core is barely recognizable compared to more than 5 years ago.

Shenzhen from a village to a city of 10 million within 3 decades captures my breathe away.

At least those architecture buildings are expanding upon the Asian urban landscapes, despite too much vacancy.
One factor that many people whom don't really look into it is that the costs of construction in buidling new real estate is part of GDP calculation, not the price it is sold at.

For example, you are the mayor of a 2nd-tier city. You are hungry for a promotion to be the mayor of a first-tier city. You will get promoted if your city shows GDP increase.

Everytime a new building is built, the costs of the construction itself it counted as GDP growth, not the sales prices of the building itself when it is sold. So when more buildings are built, regardless of whether there is demand or not, the GDP goes up and you get promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 539,814 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Yeah, most of the billionaires and millionaires are not local Singaporeans but imported from the rest of the world: Mainland Chinese tycoons, Malaysian Chinese tycoons, Indonesian-Chinese obligarchs, rich Indian tycoons, tycoons all over from USA and Europe looking to park their wealth, so long as they meet their tax obligations.


Singapore's independent cafe scene exists but suffering from high rentals from landlords. A city like Brisbane has a more active cafe scene than Singapore; only the big-chains like Starbucks and Coffeebean are striving along.

Singapore's nightlife is fantastic - and expensive. I have been to clubbing spots in some parts of the world and Singapore is pretty good but it really burns a hole in your pocket. Places like St James, Zouk, Attica, Butter Factory; mainly young executives with disposable money to burn and rich expats going crazy on expat packages. But the DJs are good and the alcohol mix, while horrifyingly expansive, is not bad. Mainly people letting off steam; Mon to sat of stress-filled days, so they go crazy from Sat 10 pm to Sun 5 am.
A culture of "economic growth" at all costs has resulted in a nation of Singaporeans obsessed over comparing paychecks, houses, whom has the latest luxury watches, and handbags, and a lack of interest in reading, in the arts and so-on - a total lack of general knowledge. i have friends whom can tell everything about the latest Patek watches but have no idea what is happening in the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Chicago
19 posts, read 40,848 times
Reputation: 20
My American ex loved Phuc Long cafe. He said it's much better than starbuck. I live in Chicago and most of my non Asian friends believe boba tea is smoothie. I hate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lullaby001 View Post
My American ex loved Phuc Long cafe. He said it's much better than starbuck. I live in Chicago and most of my non Asian friends believe boba tea is smoothie. I hate it
I think boba is disgusting. The tapioca balls remind me of what I imagine an eyeball's texture is...

I also have a personal revulsion to it because in the early aughts, it started becoming popular in the 'States, and my ex just loooooooooooved it because "boba" sounded "cute and silly" to her. We'd have to stop so she could waste $6 on a cup of boba that she only consumed 1/3rd of because it was disgusting on the way home every day, and for a few months she would blabber on stupidly to people she met about how amaaaaaazing boba was. When they were like, "wth is boba?" she'd be like, "oh, you don't know? Oh, a-hahahaha. I just looooooove trying foods from other cultures, so I know all about it..."

Sorry. I guess you can see how much boba still annoys the hell out of me.

Thank god most people in China also think it's crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Reputation: 4565
Nooooo boba tea is amazing I love it so much.
But every time I try bubble tea outside of Taiwan, it just tastes horrifying. Idk why is it. They probably couldn't get the right ingredients.

And a cup is usually no more than 2 USD, unless you want to add A LOT of other stuff in your drink...pudding and other things which I don't know the English names of.

Btw you can tell your ex(if you want to) that 'boba' means huge breasts, as there are two types of tapioca balls: larger ones and smaller ones. Larger ones are named boba since they are, well, larger.

Last edited by Greysholic; 10-30-2015 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,169,326 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Nooooo boba tea is amazing I love it so much.
But every time I try bubble tea outside of Taiwan, it just tastes horrifying. Idk why is it. They probably couldn't get the right ingredients.

And a cup is usually no more than 2 USD, unless you want to add A LOT of other stuff in your drink...pudding and other things which I don't know the English names of.

Btw you can tell your ex(if you want to) that 'boba' means huge breasts, as there are two types of tapioca balls: larger ones and smaller ones. Larger ones are named boba since they are, well, larger.
Funny that boba means バカ in Spanish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 AM
 
6 posts, read 4,058 times
Reputation: 15
Vietnam is a beautiful country. Food and drink are great. It is so easy to get around Ha Noi on foot and plenty of walking routes to ensure you visit everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2015, 02:33 AM
 
956 posts, read 1,546,159 times
Reputation: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Funny that boba means バカ in Spanish
Even funnier that babo(바보) = バカ in Korean

Keep saying bobabobabobaboba...... or babobabobabobabo...... Either way, both the Spanish and Koreans will understand it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Chicago
19 posts, read 40,848 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think boba is disgusting. The tapioca balls remind me of what I imagine an eyeball's texture is...

I also have a personal revulsion to it because in the early aughts, it started becoming popular in the 'States, and my ex just loooooooooooved it because "boba" sounded "cute and silly" to her. We'd have to stop so she could waste $6 on a cup of boba that she only consumed 1/3rd of because it was disgusting on the way home every day, and for a few months she would blabber on stupidly to people she met about how amaaaaaazing boba was. When they were like, "wth is boba?" she'd be like, "oh, you don't know? Oh, a-hahahaha. I just looooooove trying foods from other cultures, so I know all about it..."

Sorry. I guess you can see how much boba still annoys the hell out of me.

Thank god most people in China also think it's crap
Well my non Asian friends (mostly Hispanic and white) and I don't usually hang out at Asian places. They always make me eat burgers and drink beers lol I'm just annoyed by the thought of "boba tea equals smoothies." Boba tea is black tea with tapioca. Smoothies are blended fruits. Tapioca is always optional.

If you live in LA area, you should know a place called Half & Half. Oh man best boba tea ever. I dated a black/puerto rican guy and a white guy, both of them enjoy boba tea and those tapioca balls. They always finished theirs, and drank the rest of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top