U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,869,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Nooooo boba tea is amazing I love it so much.
But every time I try bubble tea outside of Taiwan, it just tastes horrifying. Idk why is it. They probably couldn't get the right ingredients.

And a cup is usually no more than 2 USD, unless you want to add A LOT of other stuff in your drink...pudding and other things which I don't know the English names of.

Btw you can tell your ex(if you want to) that 'boba' means huge breasts, as there are two types of tapioca balls: larger ones and smaller ones. Larger ones are named boba since they are, well, larger.
Bubble Tea 珍珠奶茶 (zhēnzhū nǎichá) Pearl Milk Tea Boba Milk Tea is invented right around Taichung-Kaohsiung Taiwan 1980s after all. Is every Taiwanese citizen having an obligation to admire bubble tea all the time? Why exactly is Bubble Tea very different outside of Taiwan?

My favorite flavors are Raspberry Cherry Watermelon Blueberry blended into the same drink of Bubble Tea (Woah! Ultimate tasty exotic drink), and Black Sesame(Very rare to find them even with Bubble Tea stores). I have Bubble Tea at highly selective Independent Cafes lately. Blended, not too much ice, and with Soy makes the right ingredients, and with intricate Fruity Nutty flavor. Bubble Tea is not resembling any other Tea to the extent where even Tea Cafes specializing with Tea don't have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think boba is disgusting. The tapioca balls remind me of what I imagine an eyeball's texture is...

I also have a personal revulsion to it because in the early aughts, it started becoming popular in the 'States, and my ex just loooooooooooved it because "boba" sounded "cute and silly" to her. We'd have to stop so she could waste $6 on a cup of boba that she only consumed 1/3rd of because it was disgusting on the way home every day, and for a few months she would blabber on stupidly to people she met about how amaaaaaazing boba was. When they were like, "wth is boba?" she'd be like, "oh, you don't know? Oh, a-hahahaha. I just looooooove trying foods from other cultures, so I know all about it..."

Sorry. I guess you can see how much boba still annoys the hell out of me.

Thank god most people in China also think it's crap
Try the Bubble Tea with multi flavor Fruit Jellies or Mango Stars rather than Tapioca Balls. Whenever I buy Bubble Tea lately, I always have them with 10 Flavor Fruit Jellies, or the Mango ones, and never relatively plain tapioca balls. Although, I am not against tapioca balls tasting fine with the drink, yet Fruit Jellies are even better.

Now I just can't get enough of Bubble Tea. One of my favorite Independent Cafes, I even had 3 Bubble Tea drinks within 5 hours.

Very Asian drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 AM

653 posts, read 542,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

Is Singapore really that much of a very materialistic society? Is there a competition of "What countries you have visited" international travel bragging rights game between Singaporean citizens? Maybe a more spiritual cultural version of materialism compared to clothes, watches, paychecks, houses, or luxury cars.

People I know when acting materialistic on economic wealth especially focus on International Travel, Attending a Favorite Independent Business Store, and How Much Money they Spend On Their Favorite Stores, Especially Extra Unique Independent Ones Everyday.

Variety of lifestyle is another given hypothetical. International Travel involves where people have visited, where they are at the present moment, where they are visiting in the future, and then all of the money they spend on all types of travel activity.

Wondering all Asian people's own classification of the most materialistic countries of Asia, in between cultural spiritual materialistic at the same time extremes, and the least materialistic Asian nations?
Yes, there is; there is this concept of "experential travel", which inevitably they will post on facebook/instagram/twitter - they would boast about their travels to Bali, Maldives, mauritus, Monaco, or whichever is the lastest "cool" destination.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:

Around 17% of Singapore's population having a millionaire inheritance is really out of this World incredible. Literally 1 to 5-1 to 6 of every citizen. Native residents must have enough of the country wealth, other than the foreign expatriates originating from elsewhere far away. Economically, where is the main source of exorbitant wealth coming from?
Even to local citizens, it can be quite a mystery as to where the money exactly come from......do you mean where does Singapore derive its revenues from? Well, partly from taxes - both direct and indirect; direct taxes refer to stuff like income taxes and corporate taxes, which are among the lowest in the world; so Singapore invests a lot in national infrastructure; the remarkable thing about Singapore is not the number of skyscrapers or luxury apartments, but the fact that if you are in a completed and proper building, you are able to get reliable electricity supply 24 hours a day 99.99% of the time with almost no cases of blackouts, and that in most parts of Singapore, you can drink straight from the tap. A lot of money is also spent on Jurong island (mega-complex for petrochemicals), Changi Airport, the maritime port. All this attracts MNCs.

So plenty of MNCs set up shop in Singapore, so even though corporate taxes are low, there are enough MNCs in critical mass that it is still quite a bit of collected revenue.

Then there is also the indirect taxes like alcohol and tobacco taxes, vehicle licensing fees, levies and taxes on foreign workers and expats.

While figures and statistics are hard to come by, but I suspect a good portion of it is from commercial/corporate taxes and industrial taxes. For example, Jurong island has profit and revenue larger than the GDP of some nations, so taxes on oil giants operating in Jurong island, while at an incredibly low rate, still contribites quite a lot to the national treasury.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,144,365 times
Quote:
Why exactly is Bubble Tea very different outside of Taiwan?
I don't know why, it just tastes horrible in other countries.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't know why, it just tastes horrible in other countries.
I drank bubble tea in Singapore before; avoided it due to budget issues; it is a craze imported from Taiwan.

There were like hundreds of stalls ; a bubble formed and few years later, 95% of them went bankrupt; all this was before 2008.

These days, its all Gong-Cha. A Gong-Cha stall everywhere in Singapore.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM

Hengqin island in Macau is rapidly building up as an extension of Macau, since macau is running out of room despite all the land reclamation.

Sanya in Hainan is being built as a "Hawaii" of China.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Yes, there is; there is this concept of "experential travel", which inevitably they will post on facebook/instagram/twitter - they would boast about their travels to Bali, Maldives, mauritus, Monaco, or whichever is the lastest "cool" destination.
Sounds right to luxuriously spend travel money when realistically available.

Best combination of Spirituality and Materialism.

Are Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, France, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Austria, and UAE other emerging destinations to visit for Singaporeans?

Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Even to local citizens, it can be quite a mystery as to where the money exactly come from......do you mean where does Singapore derive its revenues from? Well, partly from taxes - both direct and indirect; direct taxes refer to stuff like income taxes and corporate taxes, which are among the lowest in the world; so Singapore invests a lot in national infrastructure; the remarkable thing about Singapore is not the number of skyscrapers or luxury apartments, but the fact that if you are in a completed and proper building, you are able to get reliable electricity supply 24 hours a day 99.99% of the time with almost no cases of blackouts, and that in most parts of Singapore, you can drink straight from the tap. A lot of money is also spent on Jurong island (mega-complex for petrochemicals), Changi Airport, the maritime port. All this attracts MNCs.

So plenty of MNCs set up shop in Singapore, so even though corporate taxes are low, there are enough MNCs in critical mass that it is still quite a bit of collected revenue.

Then there is also the indirect taxes like alcohol and tobacco taxes, vehicle licensing fees, levies and taxes on foreign workers and expats.

While figures and statistics are hard to come by, but I suspect a good portion of it is from commercial/corporate taxes and industrial taxes. For example, Jurong island has profit and revenue larger than the GDP of some nations, so taxes on oil giants operating in Jurong island, while at an incredibly low rate, still contributes quite a lot to the national treasury.
Logistical money collection, and bureaucratic resource gathering of accumulating wealth is quite obscure to everyone. There aren't any magical money trees around anywhere on Planet Earth to give out with anyone at a fair distribution. No wonder a vast majority of the World population is dealing with poverty or not making enough money for their hard work when they usually deserve even more long term.

Countries resembling Austria, or Singapore are really lucky to not really deal with too much destitute economic conditions. Even the USA still has tons of poverty. Around 50% half of all Americans literally make less than $27,000 per year. Inflation high cost of living makes people feel even poorer. Half Of Americans Made Less Than $27,000 Last Year - Business Insider

Singapore's economy is probably highly diversified enough compared to those heavy oil countries (Surprisingly even Norway is too reliant on these things). Professional services, Real Estate, Business, Technology, and Science are thriving around Singapore. Global digital information age, and a trace of industry.

Singapore's most impressive characteristics are being the wealthiest country of the World according to percentage of millionaires (17% of the national population), city-state formation unique status, having past allegiance to Malaysia, mixed spiritual religious demographics Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, ethnic heritage demographics Singaporean Chinese, Malays, Indians, confusing very mixed progressive-moderate-or conservative Political spectrum, cuisine, nightlife exceeding reputation, deep into Southeast Asia territory, close proximity to Indonesia, and utopia tropical city identity.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I drank bubble tea in Singapore before; avoided it due to budget issues; it is a craze imported from Taiwan.

There were like hundreds of stalls ; a bubble formed and few years later, 95% of them went bankrupt; all this was before 2008.

These days, its all Gong-Cha. A Gong-Cha stall everywhere in Singapore.
Original founder nation of Bubble Tea must be really distinctive then. I even had wonderful Bubble Tea in Slovakia out of all places. hahaha Can't believe Bratislava Slovakia had a Bubble Tea store selling tasty options.

My favorite flavor is Black Sesame Bubble Tea. Another favorite is blended Raspberry, Cherry Watermelon, Blueberry Bubble Tea with multiflavor jellies rather than tapioca ones.

I bet Bubble Tea is most affordable around Taiwan. Not too expensive here. Singapore might be more expensive than where I live, yet people have more money. Wow, even in Singapore not enough money to support all of those stalls, and they declare bankruptcy.

Some stores I know sell Bubble Tea, Coffee, lots of restaurant meals, unique ambiance symbols resembling chandeliers antiques castle furniture, and wireless internet.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Hengqin island in Macau is rapidly building up as an extension of Macau, since macau is running out of room despite all the land reclamation.

Sanya in Hainan is being built as a "Hawaii" of China.
People might not realize vast areas of mainland China is actually not too polluted. It's really only Beijing metropolitan region having the worst problem. Elsewhere in China has quite clean air in comparison when going further away from Beijing metro.

Fujian, Yunnan, Guangxi, Hunan, Guizhou, Gansu, Hainan, Tibet, Qinghai, Xinjiang all have really fresh ultra clean air occasionally. http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/i..._SCIAMACHY.jpg

http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Provin...ce-choices.jpg

Around 70%-90% of Mainland China pollution wise is not too devastating (yet). They are already trying to reverse the entire solution.

Yeah, Hainan is a tropical paradise island for China. They are heavily investing and further expanding domestic + international tourism. Underrated hidden treasure of China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or