U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,788 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Reputation: 4596

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
In fact very few Chinese people think China government is awesome.. If you ask people in or out of China, they tend to complain a lot. However, they will not give you any better solution.
Yeah they probably don't find the Chinese government to be awesome.

But then when other people start criticising it, they tend to explode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2016, 02:40 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,932 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah they probably don't find the Chinese government to be awesome.

But then when other people start criticising it, they tend to explode.
It's normal. Americans (online) do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Asia
2,761 posts, read 1,107,784 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It's normal. Americans (online) do the same.
The difference is a matter of degree.

Yes, some Americans become defensive when America is criticised by non-Americans.

However, there is tremendous complaining and criticising by Americans that takes place in the US.

Yes, there is some criticism in China made by some Chinese citizens.

But, again, the difference is in degrees. The criticisms that Americans point at the US Government are made in the open and freely and all the time.

In contrast, Chinese people criticise the CCP very carefully, and at their own risk.

The differences are a matter of degrees. But, the gap is so wide that there really is no sense trying to say that there is any true similarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,785 posts, read 13,388,896 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
In fact very few Chinese people think China government is awesome.. If you ask people in or out of China, they tend to complain a lot. However, they will not give you any better solution.
I dunno, I think that these people I photographed praying to Mao in Shaoshan a couple weeks ago think that he's pretty awesome... an interesting counterpoint to the blatherings of foreign media on this anniversary of the start of the Cultural Revolution, and of overseas Chinese who don't actually know anything at all about contemporary life in China and at turns extol its virtues and decry its failures since they don't actually know what to think about it.







MODS: I took these pictures, please don't take them down for being copyright violations as they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,785 posts, read 13,388,896 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
The difference is a matter of degree.

Yes, some Americans become defensive when America is criticised by non-Americans.

However, there is tremendous complaining and criticising by Americans that takes place in the US.

Yes, there is some criticism in China made by some Chinese citizens.

But, again, the difference is in degrees. The criticisms that Americans point at the US Government are made in the open and freely and all the time.

In contrast, Chinese people criticise the CCP very carefully, and at their own risk.

The differences are a matter of degrees. But, the gap is so wide that there really is no sense trying to say that there is any true similarity.
Oh, completely. Look at universities in the US, where there are open debates as to whether the educational climate caters enough to other cultures or is too "Eurocentric," and there is extremely open criticism of the US government and its various misdeeds against other nations - arguments that a lot of the boosters here, and their ilk all over the internet will gladly engage in the second that anyone brings up a singly problem about China, but which are spurred on domestically by Americans themselves.

Now look at Chinese universities, where there has been a government edict to limit the amount of "Western" education that takes on in classrooms and to adopt a curriculum and ethos that more directly bolsters the successes and glory of the Chinese government and ignores its failures.

Of course no one likes it when outsiders criticize their homeland, but China being a much more insular and homogeneous society reacts to it very differently from the US. The more that China grows in global prominence, the more that it should get used to it - the longer you're onstage, the more fault people will find with your performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,788 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Reputation: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I dunno, I think that these people I photographed praying to Mao in Shaoshan a couple weeks ago think that he's pretty awesome... an interesting counterpoint to the blatherings of foreign media on this anniversary of the start of the Cultural Revolution, and of overseas Chinese who don't actually know anything at all about contemporary life in China and at turns extol its virtues and decry its failures since they don't actually know what to think about it.







MODS: I took these pictures, please don't take them down for being copyright violations as they aren't.
These are hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 04:04 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,932 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I dunno, I think that these people I photographed praying to Mao in Shaoshan a couple weeks ago think that he's pretty awesome... an interesting counterpoint to the blatherings of foreign media on this anniversary of the start of the Cultural Revolution, and of overseas Chinese who don't actually know anything at all about contemporary life in China and at turns extol its virtues and decry its failures since they don't actually know what to think about it.







MODS: I took these pictures, please don't take them down for being copyright violations as they aren't.
Oh it's very common to worship famous (dead) people in China. Some people believed those became gods and could protect them, the same as their deceased ancestors. That does not mean they do not use dirty words on the Chinese communist party or China government. Also, Mao worshippers tend to dislike Deng.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 738,932 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Oh, completely. Look at universities in the US, where there are open debates as to whether the educational climate caters enough to other cultures or is too "Eurocentric," and there is extremely open criticism of the US government and its various misdeeds against other nations - arguments that a lot of the boosters here, and their ilk all over the internet will gladly engage in the second that anyone brings up a singly problem about China, but which are spurred on domestically by Americans themselves.

Now look at Chinese universities, where there has been a government edict to limit the amount of "Western" education that takes on in classrooms and to adopt a curriculum and ethos that more directly bolsters the successes and glory of the Chinese government and ignores its failures.

Of course no one likes it when outsiders criticize their homeland, but China being a much more insular and homogeneous society reacts to it very differently from the US. The more that China grows in global prominence, the more that it should get used to it - the longer you're onstage, the more fault people will find with your performance.
Every college student in China knows the government is full of BS. However most young people in China don't care anything about politics and don't have any intelligent opinion on those issues.
It's true that Chinese people are more skeptical about Western ideas than other Asians, because Chinese have no faith to anything. But it also depends on your social circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 04:34 PM
 
3,340 posts, read 2,091,091 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You do realize that the reason East Asian culture did not expand much beyond where it did in RL is because East Asians (as in the states, governments, and people in charge) were historically so secure and arrogant about their superiority that they didn't think it was necessary for them to interact with others.
what are you talking about? Chinese influence are evident in SE Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,788 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Reputation: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Oh it's very common to worship famous (dead) people in China. Some people believed those became gods and could protect them, the same as their deceased ancestors. That does not mean they do not use dirty words on the Chinese communist party or China government. Also, Mao worshippers tend to dislike Deng.
Obviously there's nothing wrong with worshipping dead people, the issue is the person being worshipped here is a mass murderer and would most certainly not give a crap about protecting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It's true that Chinese people are more skeptical about Western ideas than other Asians, because Chinese have no faith to anything. But it also depends on your social circle.
I actually find a lot of Chinese people to have quite a lot of faith in the government. Not in a 'looking after themselves' kind of way, but more of a 'we will rule the world and one day everyone will speak Chinese because our government is so mighty and we have so much money and other countries are so scared of us' type of twisted mindset.

Lots of Chinese people also love to talk about the 5000 years of history and culture bs, which is extremely annoying and hilariously ignorant, as if all other countries are inferior culturally and historically. So there, I guess you guys also have a lot of faith in your history and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top