U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 PM

23 posts, read 20,021 times

Advertisements

I have living here a while , then I realize that it is very hard to call taxi in Bangkok. I have to call several taxis in every morning only can get in. I also donno why I just tell them the destination that I want to go then they just drive away. That's made me feel very upset .

anyone facing the same problem here in Bangkok? How do you solve it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 AM

10,437 posts, read 12,464,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody-M View Post
I have living here a while , then I realize that it is very hard to call taxi in Bangkok. I have to call several taxis in every morning only can get in. I also donno why I just tell them the destination that I want to go then they just drive away. That's made me feel very upset .

anyone facing the same problem here in Bangkok? How do you solve it?
Most car-taxi's in Thailand only like to go somewhere where they are sure they can pick up other customers.
One of the reasons i take the subway/skytrain and some times a motorbike-taxi.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,303,443 times
and they usually gouge you for 3x the legal fare.
This is why I will never go to Thailand again. So difficult to get around without be scammed.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,802,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
and they usually gouge you for 3x the legal fare.
This is why I will never go to Thailand again. So difficult to get around without be scammed.
I never had that problem. One time I wanted to go somewhere and the taxi driver didn't understand English too well and my Thai was pretty much non-existent. Otherwise, they'll usually use the meter. I can see why they might not like that, though. The charges don't add up very fast. One time I got in a Bangkok taxi and for a while the meter didn't move. I thought it was broken.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,476,372 times
I don't live in Bangkok and I've only been there once, but we used Uber for a 15km trip and it was great. On time, as efficient as it could possibly be in Bangkok traffic, and very reasonably priced. If you use the Uber app, you don't have the language issue either as you program in where you want to go.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 586 times
Trust me !!

Taxi in Bangkok there are both good and bad. If you are lucky, you will get a great taxi.
But if you're unlucky, you'll get a taxi to poor service. Maybe Taxi driver may Cheat fare you.

No No No No No Don't worry about Taxi in Bangkok
I have 10 Useful Tips For Bangkok Taxis

Taxi Colour Codes?
Bangkok taxis are famous to be very colourful, especially the pink ones: This means nothing to us, those are just different companies and fares and features are the same.

How to Spot Available Taxis
Available taxis are the ones with the glowing red vacant sign.

Fair Fares
No need to negotiate the fare as all taxis in Bangkok are now metered (well, sort of anyway). A driver refusing to use a meter is an indication of a suspicious agenda. If he insists on giving you a fixed fare, instead of using the meter, it's best to find another cab. Taxis standing by in front of hotels are usually suspicious.

Unwilling Drivers
Don't be surprised if the driver refuses to take you where you wish to go. While there's not much you can really do about it you can report to Land Transport Department Hotline on 1584 and report the taxi if you were fast enough to take a picture of the car plate (plates are both inside and outside the cab). Alternatively you can download this app DLT Taxi to report the taxi. Better try your luck with the next taxi.

Flagging a Taxi
It's ok to get a taxi at a bus stop when there's no bus approaching, otherwise you can expect to be honked at.

Taxi Scams
Like tuk-tuks, watch out for an over-eager taxi driver who offers to take you to 'good' places, skip it or decline! Trust your intuition. If you don't get a good feeling about a taxi driver, rather wait for the next one. Again Taxis standing by in front of hotels are usually suspicious.

Clueless Taxis
Don't expect Bangkok taxi drivers to know the city's every nook and cranny, as a driver qualification exam isn't required. It's always a good idea to carry a map, or the name and the location of where you're heading to written in Thai. (Pick up a hotel card when leaving your hotel if you are in a small street of Bangkok)

Watch when stepping out!
Look behind you and make sure there's no motorcycle coming before you open a car door. It's very common for passengers to open the door without looking, and have a motorcycle slam into it. This can cause serious injury to the motorcycle driver, the taxi passenger, as well as considerable damage to the taxi itself.

Tips? Change?
Tipping of taxi drivers is not required, though rounding the fare off to the nearest 5 or 10 baht is common practice (it's a nice thing to do, as they earn very little, work long hours in often stressful conditions). But remember: Taxis often pretend not to have change, so carry small amounts!

Lost Items
Before getting out of a taxi, make sure you haven't left any valuables or shopping bags behind.

So I'm Thai. I don't like the provided services the taxi. LOL

Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 PM

23 posts, read 20,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai Relationship View Post
Trust me !!

Taxi in Bangkok there are both good and bad. If you are lucky, you will get a great taxi.
But if you're unlucky, you'll get a taxi to poor service. Maybe Taxi driver may Cheat fare you.

No No No No No Don't worry about Taxi in Bangkok
I have 10 Useful Tips For Bangkok Taxis

Taxi Colour Codes?
Bangkok taxis are famous to be very colourful, especially the pink ones: This means nothing to us, those are just different companies and fares and features are the same.

How to Spot Available Taxis
Available taxis are the ones with the glowing red vacant sign.

Fair Fares
No need to negotiate the fare as all taxis in Bangkok are now metered (well, sort of anyway). A driver refusing to use a meter is an indication of a suspicious agenda. If he insists on giving you a fixed fare, instead of using the meter, it's best to find another cab. Taxis standing by in front of hotels are usually suspicious.

Unwilling Drivers
Don't be surprised if the driver refuses to take you where you wish to go. While there's not much you can really do about it you can report to Land Transport Department Hotline on 1584 and report the taxi if you were fast enough to take a picture of the car plate (plates are both inside and outside the cab). Alternatively you can download this app DLT Taxi to report the taxi. Better try your luck with the next taxi.

Flagging a Taxi
It's ok to get a taxi at a bus stop when there's no bus approaching, otherwise you can expect to be honked at.

Taxi Scams
Like tuk-tuks, watch out for an over-eager taxi driver who offers to take you to 'good' places, skip it or decline! Trust your intuition. If you don't get a good feeling about a taxi driver, rather wait for the next one. Again Taxis standing by in front of hotels are usually suspicious.

Clueless Taxis
Don't expect Bangkok taxi drivers to know the city's every nook and cranny, as a driver qualification exam isn't required. It's always a good idea to carry a map, or the name and the location of where you're heading to written in Thai. (Pick up a hotel card when leaving your hotel if you are in a small street of Bangkok)

Watch when stepping out!
Look behind you and make sure there's no motorcycle coming before you open a car door. It's very common for passengers to open the door without looking, and have a motorcycle slam into it. This can cause serious injury to the motorcycle driver, the taxi passenger, as well as considerable damage to the taxi itself.

Tips? Change?
Tipping of taxi drivers is not required, though rounding the fare off to the nearest 5 or 10 baht is common practice (it's a nice thing to do, as they earn very little, work long hours in often stressful conditions). But remember: Taxis often pretend not to have change, so carry small amounts!

Lost Items
Before getting out of a taxi, make sure you haven't left any valuables or shopping bags behind.

So I'm Thai. I don't like the provided services the taxi. LOL

hahaha at first I confused about the color of taxi too. Not sure how difference among them. another agree point is that they always cannot find change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or