U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:49 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,072,764 times

Advertisements

I was in Tokyo for just a couple of weeks a few years ago. But I have a relative who's lived there for 20 years. People are very polite, and it's mind-boggling how clean and nice the city is considering how crowded it is. It isn't difficult to get used to the crowds or the small rooms though. It's a very fun place to visit... and biiiiig! Central Tokyo is all high-rises, in every direction, as far as the eye can see. The "suburbs" are all large cities in their own right, with their own downtown areas, and millions of residents. Visit some temples and historic places, and enjoy the neon lights! The night markets in some neighbourhoods' "main streets" are also a fun thing to go to.

Survival Japanese: Arigato is "thank you", arigato gozaimas is "thank you very much". And always nod/bow your head when greeting someone, when saying hello/goodbye/thank you/excuse me. You will nod your head constantly. It's the friendly thing to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:05 PM

2,797 posts, read 929,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I was in Tokyo for just a couple of weeks a few years ago. But I have a relative who's lived there for 20 years. People are very polite, and it's mind-boggling how clean and nice the city is considering how crowded it is. It isn't difficult to get used to the crowds or the small rooms though. It's a very fun place to visit... and biiiiig! Central Tokyo is all high-rises, in every direction, as far as the eye can see. The "suburbs" are all large cities in their own right, with their own downtown areas, and millions of residents. Visit some temples and historic places, and enjoy the neon lights! The night markets in some neighbourhoods' "main streets" are also a fun thing to go to.

Survival Japanese: Arigato is "thank you", arigato gozaimas is "thank you very much". And always nod/bow your head when greeting someone, when saying hello/goodbye/thank you/excuse me. You will nod your head constantly. It's the friendly thing to do!
Roll the r's like you would when speaking Spanish and when bowing, the junior In age bows the lowest.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM

2,797 posts, read 929,051 times
Also Japanese are required to take a total of between 4 and 6 years of English in school before college. So this means that there are some that can speak English. But in most cases, the well educated Japanese can read and write in English perfectly but can't speak it. For this reason, it is a good idea to keep a pen and pad of paper handy so you can communicate with them in writing very effective and efficiently.

There are actually four different ways to write in Japanese: Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana and Romoji.
Basically to read a newspaper in Japan you need to know all of these. Because the Japanese use all four when writing because each serves a specific purpose within the written language. If you pick up a newspaper and see the word "Tokyo" for example, this is Romaji. From what I've experienced during my years living and visiting Japan over the span of 25 years, Katakana seems to be primarily used when writing words that Japanese have no words in their own language for, like "Sunglass" (ザングラス) for example. Also basically nothing in Japanese language is plural, only singular. Like in English, Deer, Fish, etc. are always discussed in a singular form. In Japan, everything is like that.

Last edited by FC76-81; 10-23-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 10:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,458,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcrash29 View Post
Just found out that I will be heading to Tokyo for work for 10 days in early December.. Anybody here on the MB ever been to Tokyo or Japan for work or vacation? 5/6 days ill be pretty limited due to busy job schedule, but should have 3 or 4 days to kick around.. Any tips or recommendations? What should i do, what should i look out for.. is the city cool?

Also, how feasible is it to catch a train to kyoto or hiroshima if so desires.. How is the train system in Japan all together,

Any help is much appreciated
I have been to Japan many times. One of my favorite places to visit.

My advice is to stay around Tokyo for the 3 to 4 days you have unless there is something you are really dying to see to make it the travel time worth while.

There is so much to do in Tokyo. It really depends on what you are interested in seeing and doing. There are many areas that cater to people who share the same interests.

At night the city really comes alive. It has some of the most diverse scenes of any city I have been to. There really is nothing like it.

Watch youtube videos of places and things to do in Tokyo. The one previously posted is a good start but it fails to mention several places.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 AM

19 posts, read 11,360 times
Id suggest spending two days each in the wonderful and contrasting cities of Tokyo and Kyoto. Take the bullet train to Kyoto (an experience in itself- each bullet train offers a signature bento lunch with foods from the region you're going to, so get that) and stay over night in a traditional ryokan. Walk around the city soaking in the historic atmosphere and visit the breathtaking Buddhist shrines and gardens.

Then, once you've had your fill of traditional Japanese culture, head back to Tokyo and immerse yourself in its quirky pop culture and incredible urban energy. The city has something for everybody, from cutting edges contemporary art and fashion to highly cheesy J Pop concerts, from streets crammed full of fantastic hipster speakeasies in Golden Gai to incredible Japanese Whiskey bars in expensive hotels, from exquisite Michelin starred sushi restaurants to delicious road side eateries, from sumo wrestling stables to traditional Kabuki theatre. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or