U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:37 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You are displaying your immaturity by expressing extreme feelings all the time. Those "slaves" can quit their jobs any day, can't they? It is not that they are in Qatar where the passports are confiscated or something.

He deserved to be killed for what? Running a company where pay and benefits don't meet your expectation? The solution is easy, don't work for that company.

What corporations are not blood sucking machines? My friend works for Deloitte NYC and it is normal to work for 16 hours a day during busy season (imagine leave office at 1am and get back by 9am every day for two weeks, including weekends often), and pay is not even that great.
Do you have any clue about what kind of company Foxconn is?

Foxconn hires about a million employees in China, pays the majority of them barely anything, treats them like robots. Have you by any chance heard of the the suicides incident happened in China a few years ago? They jumped off the building because of the abysmal working condition.

These Chinese people are not in the position of "quitting". They are not Canadians like you, or rich snobbish Shanghainese that love to say how super advanced their city is and how Spain and Italy are so poor compare to China. They probably have a family to support, being "enslaved" is their only option.

Now it's no news that working conditions are terrible in China and Foxconn is probably not the worst. Terry Gou is a ****ing see-you-next-Tuesday because he bashes Taiwan all the time. Things like Taiwanese labour and environmental groups are "garbage", the business environment of Taiwan is horrible because of the high taxes and the high wages, young people are so lazy and this and that. He also loves to say how he's gonna leave Taiwan if Taiwanese don't vote for KMT, aka the No. 1 cheerleader for blood-sucking corporations like his baby. I don't see him getting a PRC citizenship and moving his headquarter to China after last election.

Taiwanese businessmen like Gou are all more or less the same. They got rich in Taiwan back in the 70s/80s, polluted the **** out of this place, then the wages raised up, the labor standards started to get a bit higher, then they left and went to China, became China's ***** then started bitching about crap.

So yeah, I'd laugh and laugh and laugh if he died painfully, as soon as possible to be quite honest.

Last edited by Greysholic; 11-17-2015 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 PM

451 posts, read 1,078,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
IMHO, hypothetically, if Taiwan had played their cards right and say did something similar to what the Koreans did (got aggressive about branding, creating an international market), spent $$ on r&d and translated this to manufacturing, I guess they would have somewhat some domination in the following fields:

1. Liquid Crystal Displays: This would have also have had a flow on effect into dominating the more lucrative TV sector by extension (just bigger LCD monitors)...Had a company like Foxxconn who is merely an assembler back then and now pumped $ into buying a company like Sharp, they might have dominated this market.

2. Mobile Phones: HTC was an early player but could never capitalise on the success, if I recall correctly, they had smart phones either earlier or at the same time as Apples.

I thought Taiwan to be honest had shifted into the "green" fields early on in the early 2000s, a sector Korea was not into at that stage but dominated by heavyweights like USA, Germany & Japan.
I would have to agree in this sense-if Taiwan want to go big it would have been in consumer electronics- I did branding with HTC, Asus and Acer (though they could not capitalize with all the competition and how fast this area moves).

Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 AM

276 posts, read 204,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I would have to agree in this sense-if Taiwan want to go big it would have been in consumer electronics- I did branding with HTC, Asus and Acer (though they could not capitalize with all the competition and how fast this area moves).
Acer is a funny one, always there and been here since at least the early 90s but majority of their products are crap. If you look at laptops as an example, when you look Acer vs Samsung it pretty much tells you how stagnant Taiwan in general has become...they were both at similar levels in the early 90s (assembling parts) but Samsung then went on to make optical drives (with Hitachi/Toshiba) then LCDs, two of the most expensive parts till recently...Acer can still not do neither of those techs, even today Taiwan can only produce older tech LCDs and not optical drives (though they're now obsolete).

Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 AM

451 posts, read 1,078,639 times
Quote:
Acer is a funny one, always there and been here since at least the early 90s but majority of their products are crap. If you look at laptops as an example, when you look Acer vs Samsung it pretty much tells you how stagnant Taiwan in general has become...they were both at similar levels in the early 90s (assembling parts) but Samsung then went on to make optical drives (with Hitachi/Toshiba) then LCDs, two of the most expensive parts till recently...Acer can still not do neither of those techs, even today Taiwan can only produce older tech LCDs and not optical drives (though they're now obsolete).
I agree again- HTC, Acer and Asus products are all crap. I never owned any of them and won't. The only Samsung product I have now is a Smart TV. I probably don't intend to buy their laptops or smart phones anytime soon either. But with South Korea- it is pretty much Samsung, LG, Hyundai-Kia. Without these chaebols South Korea would not be nearly close to where they are now. As I wrote earlier, South Korea is economically developed, but their social structure is a whole another game.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:23 AM

250 posts, read 271,301 times
Is there any doubt about this? Even though people may not like it but of course the answer is China, there's no doubt about it due to its sheer size. India will be a distant 2nd because despite its size. The only thing that matters in that order are
#1 size (population and resources)
#2 general trust of the population in the rule of law (this includes lack of corruption and is what determines whether a country is "modern" or not
#3 Work ethics, education and ingenuity of its people

Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
I agree again- HTC, Acer and Asus products are all crap. I never owned any of them and won't. The only Samsung product I have now is a Smart TV. I probably don't intend to buy their laptops or smart phones anytime soon either. But with South Korea- it is pretty much Samsung, LG, Hyundai-Kia. Without these chaebols South Korea would not be nearly close to where they are now. As I wrote earlier, South Korea is economically developed, but their social structure is a whole another game.
Actually Asus is ok. I've seen many Europeans and Americans using their computers.

Acer and HTC are indeed crap though.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually Asus is ok. I've seen many Europeans and Americans using their computers.

Acer and HTC are indeed crap though.
Acer are baddddd.
HTC not too bad
Asus decent. Their motherboards were great.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
South Korean companies are what I call "glossy" - they still have some reliance (though reduced) on Japanese and American advanced components. They are higher than Taiwan up the value tree/more advanced but still not on European/Japanese/American levels.

Samsung still relies on Japan for miniature capacitors, American communications chips (Qualcomm) for their phones.

Hyundai/Kia still rely on Aisin or Getrag / ZF (Germany) for transmissions.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM

653 posts, read 539,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Do you have any clue about what kind of company Foxconn is?

Foxconn hires about a million employees in China, pays the majority of them barely anything, treats them like robots. Have you by any chance heard of the the suicides incident happened in China a few years ago? They jumped off the building because of the abysmal working condition.

These Chinese people are not in the position of "quitting". They are not Canadians like you, or rich snobbish Shanghainese that love to say how super advanced their city is and how Spain and Italy are so poor compare to China. They probably have a family to support, being "enslaved" is their only option.

Now it's no news that working conditions are terrible in China and Foxconn is probably not the worst. Terry Gou is a ****ing see-you-next-Tuesday because he bashes Taiwan all the time. Things like Taiwanese labour and environmental groups are "garbage", the business environment of Taiwan is horrible because of the high taxes and the high wages, young people are so lazy and this and that. He also loves to say how he's gonna leave Taiwan if Taiwanese don't vote for KMT, aka the No. 1 cheerleader for blood-sucking corporations like his baby. I don't see him getting a PRC citizenship and moving his headquarter to China after last election.

Taiwanese businessmen like Gou are all more or less the same. They got rich in Taiwan back in the 70s/80s, polluted the **** out of this place, then the wages raised up, the labor standards started to get a bit higher, then they left and went to China, became China's ***** then started bitching about crap.

So yeah, I'd laugh and laugh and laugh if he died painfully, as soon as possible to be quite honest.
Working conditions in China can be terrible; there are many reports of workers abuse; but then, such cases are quite common across the globe, in many different countries; even in Singapore, it is happening; it is just that in China, worker's protection, regulation and rule of law are far more lax.

Such things also happen everywhere, in Singapore, in Hong Kong, in Japan, in Canada, in USA. In most other countries, preparators are arrested and punished in a court of law. But in China, if you are factory owner, and you have committed workplace abuses, you can get away with it as long as you pay the right amount of bribes and if you pay to the right person.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 11-18-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,395,026 times
Quote:
South Korean companies are what I call "glossy" - they still have some reliance (though reduced) on Japanese and American advanced components. They are higher than Taiwan up the value tree/more advanced but still not on European/Japanese/American levels.

Samsung still relies on Japan for miniature capacitors, American communications chips (Qualcomm) for their phones.

Hyundai/Kia still rely on Aisin or Getrag / ZF (Germany) for transmissions.

In a globalized world, does this even matter? Who cares where the components in your supply chain come from or how far up the value chain producers in your country are as long as you are the leading brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or