U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:39 PM

277 posts, read 206,508 times

Advertisements

My humble thoughts:

1. South Korea: 1995 was somewhat still miles behind any developed countries, has joined OECD. Has pretty much joined the big boys

Many of its companies have grown into behemoths and are now bigger than Japanese conglomerates. Quality is right up there with the Japanese in many products but cheaper and have better technology. Leader in some fields such as LED TVs, smartphones etc.

Notably it is much smaller than Japanese in population, I cannot name a country that has had any more markedly improvement than South Korea in a span of time. If we push the clock back to the 1950s it was as poor as some backwater African country at that time...

2. China - Apart from making junk and lots of it...paving the way into middle value goods and some expensive goods, I think they have made tremendous strides in miliarty gear (either by hook or crook) and sold to rogue countries like Pakistan, Nth Korea, Iran etc. etc. 20 years ago they were much more dependent on Russian military tech and reverse engineering...whilst there is still a reliance of Russian tech, fused stolen tech which they have improved and evolved upon. Even military experts think they have closed the gap on military tech on the Russians and US and evolved from the wholesale copy phase...they're pretty much in the copy, digest, make own evolution phase.

Made great strides in lucrative fields of train tech and car tech, again by hook or crook. On the consumer front they are possible a cog or two behind market leaders, you've got brands like Huawei, ZTE and a host of startups that are catching up to brands like Samsung, Apple etc real fast.

Has market clout, large talent pool but I don't know how much longer the health of the land and political system can allow it to expand much further...They will probably be the country who will make everything from crap 20cent products to 2 billion+ dollar war/space weapons/instruments.

3. Singapore - Fast becoming the "tropical Switzerland of Asia" as I coin it...starting to become a tax haven....moved totally away from manufacturing in 90s (remember hard drive manufacturers there?) to a fully fledged service sector. I feel as if

Starting to export education, especially to poorer countries like Vietnam/Thailand either as a stepping stone/springboard to a more advanced education in Australia/USA/UK/Canada/NZ. Many Taiwanese and Hong Kongers are moving there attracted to the comfort of a similar Chinese culture whilst still having a Western approach/English based Education for kids...a very strong drawcard. You even have a sizeable Korean/Japanese community - there to study English whilst still in a familiar Asian environment.

Noticed a LOT of Australian professional relocating there, not just in the finance/banking sector, but also many other areas of engineering and environment (water technology). I feel as if its the only real East meets West type state...hashing the best of both worlds but probably needs a less draconian government and really needs to develop a true democracy...

If they get the governance right, it could further improve upon itself as being a leader in many fields...possibly a good learning place for Vietnamese/Malaysians/Indonesians/Thais...especially in higher education and maybe schools for leadership.

4. Japan - Many people might disagree with me, but since the mid 90s, whilst it's lost the game in many sectors, most markedly in electronics...they are have endured the housing bubble burst but are still relatively rich and enjoy a comfortable way of life...

I think what most people don't know are that the Japanese have started to shift from "visible sectors" like electronic brand names and tried to move up the chain to manufacture advanced electronic components to sell to companies like Samsung...Possibly also moving

What they can't achieve is purely luxury and high end brands like the German Autos...Japanese luxury marques are still a joke and are nowhere near there yet. Most likely needs to

5. Vietnam - My first visit (2010) and last visit (2013) seems like day and night...amazing transformation. A lot of FDI, especially from South Korea/Taiwan/Singapore and the now glitzy shexy skyline shows this. Many overseas Viet Kieus returning to prop up the country and a lot of returns of overseas students.

A long way to go - make no mistake the majority of the country is rather poor...but heading in the right direction. I somewhat feel it's got potential to even eclipse the likes of Malaysia in future...and closing in on Thailand...fast.

Key success factor will hinge on what it can get into that China isn't in and sell to likes of USA/Europe/Japan...Possibly software? Possibly higher value added agricultural products?

The "Neither here nor there countries/states"

- Taiwan: Stagnant for past 20 odd years, Taipei looks old, worn down, heck, dare I say it looking grubbier than likes of Ho Chi Minh City. Massive offshoring to China/South East Asia which has obviously hurt them. Has not graduated from OEM maker to quality global brand a la Samsung.

Was probably on par with South Korean brands/products 20 years ago...but now gap in quality and technology is fairly visible amongst the two.

I don't see how they can get out of this mess with KMT dancing closely with mainland China...integration seems imminent.

- Hong Kong - GDP figures have improved since the days of being under the British, but has just shifted from serving the British to serving the emperors now in Beijing. Certainly feels a lot more Chinese since 1995, English standards falling, so does international spark/status.

Will it turn to a B-grade city soon? Shame but it's looking likely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,147,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
- Taiwan: Stagnant for past 20 odd years, Taipei looks old, worn down, heck, dare I say it looking grubbier than likes of Ho Chi Minh City. Massive offshoring to China/South East Asia which has obviously hurt them. Has not graduated from OEM maker to quality global brand a la Samsung.

Was probably on par with South Korean brands/products 20 years ago...but now gap in quality and technology is fairly visible amongst the two.

I don't see how they can get out of this mess with KMT dancing closely with mainland China...integration seems imminent.
Agree with you except for the Samsung part. A government-backed chaebol is the last thing Taiwan needs.
And Taipei looking fugly is not really a matter of economy, it's more because of culture and history.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:32 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,298,114 times
Quote:

3. Singapore - Fast becoming the "tropical Switzerland of Asia" as I coin it...starting to become a tax haven....moved totally away from manufacturing in 90s (remember hard drive manufacturers there?) to a fully fledged service sector.

I feel as if its the only real East meets West type state...hashing the best of both worlds but probably needs a less draconian government and really needs to develop a true democracy...
Singapore has 5.5 million people and occupies a strategic location for global trading. It is far easier for such a small country to turn around if the right policy is adopted. If China only had to deal with a 5.5 million, or even 55 million population, it would have become an advanced economy as well.

nah for the "true democracy" part. Singapore finds its own way and it is working. What exactly is the need for a "true democracy"? Just because "western countries" have it? Even with a draconian semi-dictatorship, the government is cleaner, more responsible and respected than democratic countries such as Italy or Greece, so what's the point of changing? Just to adapt to western culture? I see no point. I would even say if Singapore started with a "true democracy", it would not be what it is right now.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:48 AM

448 posts, read 501,103 times
Singapore is the richest among those mentioned.

Singapore is an important port. However, unlike its East Asian counterparts to the northeast, it has little global influence, no language unique to Singapore itself and few famous brands. Singapore is easily forgotten in East Asia and North America, maybe also in Europe, but not in Australia, due to its distance, little global influence and small size.

I see Singapore as a western country within Asia, because of the high use of English language in Singapore. This is much more than the Phillippines, India, Malaysia and Hong Kong etc. Almost all other Asian countries have their own native languages in high usage.

Last edited by lokeung); 11-07-2015 at 12:57 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 07:28 PM

277 posts, read 206,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

Singapore is an important port. However, unlike its East Asian counterparts to the northeast, it has little global influence, no language unique to Singapore itself and few famous brands. Singapore is easily forgotten in East Asia and North America, maybe also in Europe, but not in Australia, due to its distance, little global influence and small size.

I see Singapore as a western country within Asia, because of the high use of English language in Singapore. This is much more than the Phillippines, India, Malaysia and Hong Kong etc. Almost all other Asian countries have their own native languages in high usage.
It might be the richest but it certainly does not feel rich. I don't know if its the humidity that makes rubbish/dirt/grim 2 x as worse, but for some odd reason, I don't feel like I'm in a first world city/country in Singapore.

I only felt as if Japan was on par to where I'm from (Melbourne, Australia)...even places like Seoul...you just feel as if it's been recently developed...

Old 11-08-2015, 08:57 PM

653 posts, read 542,345 times
Quote:
It might be the richest but it certainly does not feel rich. I don't know if its the humidity that makes rubbish/dirt/grim 2 x as worse, but for some odd reason, I don't feel like I'm in a first world city/country in Singapore.

I only felt as if Japan was on par to where I'm from (Melbourne, Australia)...even places like Seoul...you just feel as if it's been recently developed...
Singapore's rubbish/littering problem got really bad over the past 6-7 years. i still remember back in 2006 when even a small piece of litter on the floor was a scandal.........

Old 11-09-2015, 12:37 AM

653 posts, read 542,345 times
Quote:
My humble thoughts:

1. South Korea: 1995 was somewhat still miles behind any developed countries, has joined OECD. Has pretty much joined the big boys

Many of its companies have grown into behemoths and are now bigger than Japanese conglomerates. Quality is right up there with the Japanese in many products but cheaper and have better technology. Leader in some fields such as LED TVs, smartphones etc.

Notably it is much smaller than Japanese in population, I cannot name a country that has had any more markedly improvement than South Korea in a span of time. If we push the clock back to the 1950s it was as poor as some backwater African country at that time...

2. China - Apart from making junk and lots of it...paving the way into middle value goods and some expensive goods, I think they have made tremendous strides in miliarty gear (either by hook or crook) and sold to rogue countries like Pakistan, Nth Korea, Iran etc. etc. 20 years ago they were much more dependent on Russian military tech and reverse engineering...whilst there is still a reliance of Russian tech, fused stolen tech which they have improved and evolved upon. Even military experts think they have closed the gap on military tech on the Russians and US and evolved from the wholesale copy phase...they're pretty much in the copy, digest, make own evolution phase.

Made great strides in lucrative fields of train tech and car tech, again by hook or crook. On the consumer front they are possible a cog or two behind market leaders, you've got brands like Huawei, ZTE and a host of startups that are catching up to brands like Samsung, Apple etc real fast.

Has market clout, large talent pool but I don't know how much longer the health of the land and political system can allow it to expand much further...They will probably be the country who will make everything from crap 20cent products to 2 billion+ dollar war/space weapons/instruments.

3. Singapore - Fast becoming the "tropical Switzerland of Asia" as I coin it...starting to become a tax haven....moved totally away from manufacturing in 90s (remember hard drive manufacturers there?) to a fully fledged service sector. I feel as if

Starting to export education, especially to poorer countries like Vietnam/Thailand either as a stepping stone/springboard to a more advanced education in Australia/USA/UK/Canada/NZ. Many Taiwanese and Hong Kongers are moving there attracted to the comfort of a similar Chinese culture whilst still having a Western approach/English based Education for kids...a very strong drawcard. You even have a sizeable Korean/Japanese community - there to study English whilst still in a familiar Asian environment.

Noticed a LOT of Australian professional relocating there, not just in the finance/banking sector, but also many other areas of engineering and environment (water technology). I feel as if its the only real East meets West type state...hashing the best of both worlds but probably needs a less draconian government and really needs to develop a true democracy...

If they get the governance right, it could further improve upon itself as being a leader in many fields...possibly a good learning place for Vietnamese/Malaysians/Indonesians/Thais...especially in higher education and maybe schools for leadership.

4. Japan - Many people might disagree with me, but since the mid 90s, whilst it's lost the game in many sectors, most markedly in electronics...they are have endured the housing bubble burst but are still relatively rich and enjoy a comfortable way of life...

I think what most people don't know are that the Japanese have started to shift from "visible sectors" like electronic brand names and tried to move up the chain to manufacture advanced electronic components to sell to companies like Samsung...Possibly also moving

What they can't achieve is purely luxury and high end brands like the German Autos...Japanese luxury marques are still a joke and are nowhere near there yet. Most likely needs to

5. Vietnam - My first visit (2010) and last visit (2013) seems like day and night...amazing transformation. A lot of FDI, especially from South Korea/Taiwan/Singapore and the now glitzy shexy skyline shows this. Many overseas Viet Kieus returning to prop up the country and a lot of returns of overseas students.

A long way to go - make no mistake the majority of the country is rather poor...but heading in the right direction. I somewhat feel it's got potential to even eclipse the likes of Malaysia in future...and closing in on Thailand...fast.

Key success factor will hinge on what it can get into that China isn't in and sell to likes of USA/Europe/Japan...Possibly software? Possibly higher value added agricultural products?

The "Neither here nor there countries/states"

- Hong Kong - GDP figures have improved since the days of being under the British, but has just shifted from serving the British to serving the emperors now in Beijing. Certainly feels a lot more Chinese since 1995, English standards falling, so does international spark/status.

Will it turn to a B-grade city soon? Shame but it's looking likely!
It is kind of flattering but much of this is located solely in the Asia-Pacific Region; there is a lot going on in South Asia and the Gulf states too.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 AM

931 posts, read 615,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
It is kind of flattering but much of this is located solely in the Asia-Pacific Region; there is a lot going on in South Asia and the Gulf states too.

I think Asia itself is a misnomer, Asia should get divided up into East Asia, South Asia, South East Asia and the Middle East. Russia should be its own continent imo.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,289,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

Singapore is NOT very Western. Value system is still old school Chinese with a bit of SE Asia, the US, and the UK thrown in.

Singapore is not unknown in Europe, but it is known only to professionals.

S.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:58 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,278,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Singapore's rubbish/littering problem got really bad over the past 6-7 years. i still remember back in 2006 when even a small piece of litter on the floor was a scandal.........
in 2006 a small pc of litter on the floor was a scandal ? Nah exaggeration

I do feel that the complaint about the cleanliness is too much, i mean it is just that Singaporeans expectation have gotten higher, so it is tougher to meet their demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or