Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,965 times

Advertisements

I live in Paris.
Just yesterday, while I was strolling around with my bike, I saw a sign attached to a Chinese restaurant's windows in red color. It was written in Japanese starting with "日本...." and ending with an exclamation mark.
It was about 4 to 5 lines long and it looked pretty hostile just looking at the image of it.
All I could assume was that it was a sign of forbidding Japanese customers.
What else could it be?
And I reminded all the hostilities from Chinese Restaurant owners recently, as soon as I began to order in English, not French or Chinese, which might have made them think that I am a Japanese.

I am thinking that the reason these issues are not well known to Western media is that Westerners don't understand chinese characters.
What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:20 PM

8,857 posts, read 8,376,743 times
You probably should have taken a picture.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:49 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,847,490 times
日本 just means Japan. It doesn't sound like you have any knowledge of Chinese characters, you are just purely speculating. Plus, combined with the fact this is your first post on this website, I have my suspicions you have some sort of an agenda.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,661,583 times
maybe it says "we offer delicious Japanese dishes at a promotional discount of 50% off, come try it before it expires!!!!"

If you don't understand Chinese, why bother speculate the worst?

Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM

29,458 posts, read 22,432,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
maybe it says "we offer delicious Japanese dishes at a promotional discount of 50% off, come try it before it expires!!!!"

If you don't understand Chinese, why bother speculate the worst?
Exactly.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,809,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdfanboy View Post
I live in Paris.
Just yesterday, while I was strolling around with my bike, I saw a sign attached to a Chinese restaurant's windows in red color. It was written in Japanese starting with "日本...." and ending with an exclamation mark.
It was about 4 to 5 lines long and it looked pretty hostile just looking at the image of it.
What else could it be?
And I reminded all the hostilities from Chinese Restaurant owners recently, as soon as I began to order in English, not French or Chinese, which might have made them think that I am a Japanese.

I am thinking that the reason these issues are not well known to Western media is that Westerners don't understand chinese characters.
What do you guys think?
Pretty ingenious to be able to duplicate those characters ...
You live in Paris and you need to order food in English ??

Old 11-10-2015, 02:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,572,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdfanboy View Post
I live in Paris.
What else could it be?
Maybe it says:

日本料理

With a list of items on the menu?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:27 AM

5,775 posts, read 5,071,837 times
I highly doubt any Chinese restaurants outside of China would do this. The Chinese are highly practical, and their eyes are always on the money. They would never NOT serve their Japanese guests if these guests were good paying customers. Heck, notice all the Chinese driving japanese make cars just to save a few yuan? Who cares about history?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:06 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,792,290 times
A lot of Cuinese restaurants here in China will have "Japanese style tofu" on their menu, which is silken tofu, skillet fried with egg. Most Chinese people don't even think of it as being Japanese when they order it... sort of like "French Fries" in the US.

I have seen a whole places in China that have signs disparaging Japanese people or goods. One was a vendor with a cart in a touristy part of Yangshuo, salty-looking old dude with little business compared to the others. The other was a sort of Cultural Revolution-kitsch throwback place that had a sign in the front of a big fist the colors of the Chinese flag smashing Japan from an old propoganda poster that said, "no Japanese goods or people in this business. Support China!" It was there for like a month before it closed down. Incidentally, it was nestled between two established sushi bars... I'm sure that the people who were coming to eat sushi loved seeing such a sign.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:21 AM

8 posts, read 7,175 times
Man, maybe you have really went to the right restaurant.

I think I saw something like "Japanese and dogs not allowed" sign, from a report about a Chinese restaurant in France, England or Italy on some Chinese websites last year or the year before.

Just looked up wikipedia, found this
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Japanese_sentiment_in_China[/URL]
Look at the photos

Huangpu Park, where there was a sign at the park's gate read "No dogs or Chinese allowed" according to popular myth
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangpu_Park[/URL]

Sick Man of East Asia
[URL]https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%9C%E4%BA%9A%E7%97%85%E5%A4%AB[/URL]

Chen Zhen(character)
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Zhen_(character)[/URL]

Last edited by tsunamiclc; 11-10-2015 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia