U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tier 1:
Thailand
Japan
Are you saying Thailand is top notch country where you spend money with your locally earned money?

Don't tell me you are spending money earned in the US in Thailand and therefore found Thailand offers incredibly good life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I'll rank the whole continent.

1. Japan - Overall the best.

2. Taiwan - Actually pretty horrible, but ends up here by default as other countries all have issues which I can't quite put up with.

3. Israel - Life seems pretty tough there as the cost of living is said to be extremely high, and the conflicts with other Arabs are pretty scary. There's also racial tension between the Jews and the Arabs I guess? It's extremely gay-friendly, which is amazing.

4. Korea - The fact that they have no death penalty is excellent and an example for all Asian countries. Lower than Taiwan because of the hierarchy, chaebols, and their highly stressful and competitive society.

5. Singapore - I like Singaporean people, at least the ones I've met. Would've been higher if it was freer and less conservative.

6. Hong Kong - Ruined by China. The Hong Kong spirit is almost completely gone. Still a developed city though. Has bar none the best and most efficient legal system in Asia notwithstanding the hilarious wigs, which is great.

7. Russia - Russian culture is sublime and Russian cities are grandiose. Too bad it's such a corrupt blackhole and bully to its neighbours in Europe.

8. Turkey - Like Russia, seems to be such a great country to visit, too bad the country is such a mess.

Don't really care about the rest.
If it is the whole continent (Europe and Asia share one continent), I am sure Switzerland, Austria or Norway offer better life than Russia, Turkey and Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If it is the whole continent (Europe and Asia share one continent), I am sure Switzerland, Austria or Norway offer better life than Russia, Turkey and Taiwan.
I guess I just have a different definition on what a continent is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:45 PM
nwu
 
6 posts, read 5,711 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Why mention Vietnam?

Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar.

Note my abbreviation "ie." "Ie" means for example. I was citing Vietnam as just one example of a country that isn't East Asian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Are you saying Thailand is top notch country where you spend money with your locally earned money?

Don't tell me you are spending money earned in the US in Thailand and therefore found Thailand offers incredibly good life.
Money earned in the Netherlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:46 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I guess I just have a different definition on what a continent is.
geologically, Europe and Asia is just one continent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Asia is the Earth's largest and most populous continent
Quote:
Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia.
I genuinely do not give a flying **** about how you define a "continent", to me Asia is a Continent, as is Europe.

I hope that's clear enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Chinese should be much more harder for westerners than Japanese and Korean as Chinese language do not have alphabets and a phonetic system. You cannot pronounce a Chinese word by just looking at it. You will need to hear someone to speak the word first. Most learners need many years to be able to pronounce a whole Chinese book read by a high school student in China, because pinyin is not typed in most Chinese books.


For China, you cannot easily generalise because China is large with considerable cultural and economic differences in different parts of China.
Chinese is definitely not harder than Japanese and Korean. Maybe my perspective is different because my stepfather and stepbrother are Chinese immigrants whom I lived with for 10 years, but Chinese grammar is FAR simpler than Japanese and Korean grammar. Chinese characters in Chinese are also actually easier than in Japanese. In Chinese, most characters have one reading, maybe sometimes 2 readings but that aren't so common. Chinese characters in Japanese frequently have 2 or more readings depending on how the character is used (verb, noun, or compound word). You basically have to double the amount of time learning Japanese than you do Chinese. 月 for example, is getsu, gatsu, and tsuki in Japanese and only yue4 in Chinese. You also cannot pronounce Japanese words by just looking at it. If you don't have cursory knowledge of Japanese, you can't read 名鉄駅 by just looking at it either. By the way, 名 has multiple readings, and the reading for this phrase is different from 名古屋.

Chinese and Japanese have phonetic system and alphabet, what are you talking about? Just because they don't normally use it to write their languages, doesn't mean they don't have it. You don't need to hear someone pronounce Chinese characters. Look up the pinyin or zhuyin of the character in Chinese, or hiragana, katakana, or roumaji for Japanese Chinese characters. It's not difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 539,814 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooinj0514 View Post
My ranking:

1. Singapore
This country is just best country to live.

2. Japan
Beautiful. Nice people. Those peoples are nicest people than any other nation!

3. S. Korea
Seoul is such an awesome place. Jaijudo is beautiful place too.

4. Thailand
Love there!!!!

5. Malaysia
New Asian Dragon to become.

6. Indonesia
Bali is amazing too!

7. China
Awesome country, but I can't recommend to live there except Hongkong.
Also, no democracy.

8. Vietnam
Poor, but feels safe in there.

9. Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia
Extreme poor. We should just compare them with African countries.
However, those countries are beautiful though.

10. N. Korea
I like your list; good effort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 PM
 
919 posts, read 602,586 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Chinese should be much more harder for westerners than Japanese and Korean as Chinese language do not have alphabets and a phonetic system. You cannot pronounce a Chinese word by just looking at it. You will need to hear someone to speak the word first. Most learners need many years to be able to pronounce a whole Chinese book read by a high school student in China, because pinyin is not typed in most Chinese books.
I wrote this many times but you're wrong.

Let's learn a Chinese character and its pronunciation first.

青=qing

OK. Now we know 青 is pronounced as qing.

Next, let us guess how to pronounce 請.

請 is a combination of 言 and 青.

Remember how to pronounce 青? Yes, it is qing.

Then 請 = qing as well.

清=水+青=qing
情=心+青=qing
晴=日+青=qing
蜻=虫+青=qing

We can pronounce these characters by just looking at them, can't we?

I have a book written in Japanese in front of me, which title is: 絶妙な聞き方技術. No Hiragana or Katakana is typed by the Kanji.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top